What does 'Support the Troops' really mean?

Exactly. Which is why the "support the troops" chant is so insidious when used to silence dissent against sending the troops on futile missions. Unfortunately a lot of military fall into that trap, where speaking out against sending our troops is seen as military bashing, instead of what it often is - trying to save lives wasted on futile efforts. All that "Taliban Jack" and "No cut and run" when here we are, negotiating with the Taliban and cutting and running.

Our initial mission in Afghanistan made complete sense. Our ally had been attacked, and we owed them our support. Defeat Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and capture Bin Laden. Once the US took it's eye off the ball for other adventures and the mission became nation building, we should have withdrawn.

I'm sorry but most of the soldiers who I have worked with actually see the fact that support the troops is a fad. There is a small percentage of Canadians who support the troops, whether there is a war or not, the majority of support the troops enthusiasts are on board to show how patriotic they are. Most soldiers don't care who supports the troops or not if that does not equate to cash. Because support for the troops does not help me or anyone else when instead of doing training with blanks I have to yell BANG BANG to "simulate" firing my rifle. Or when a Communication Regiment does not have enough radio sets or in some cases none at all. It does not help anyone when we live in Canada yet some units due to budget cuts do winter warfare every other year or in some cases once every 3 years. It does not help soldiers that the Government of Canada sold our Chinook Helicopters to the Netherlands in oder to save money and then had to beg the Dutch for transport in the very helicopter they bought from us. I can go on with this, but it get boring listing all the deficiencies that we have to work around.

Jack Layton was by no means the first to suggest peace with the Taliban. The problem with his ideas was that they were unlikely to succeed, for example saying that aid workers could not do their job because of the soldiers rather then the Taliban. The way that he and the NDP in general seem to ignore the facts that the Taliban do not care wether you are NGO worker or a Soldier they will kill you. The suggestion that we are the reason that women don't get proper medical car, or girls do not receive an education, that is insulting. When the NDP and the Liberals get a clue with regards to the Military and "Peacekeeping" then the military can take them serious.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Because support for the troops does not help me or anyone else when instead of doing training with blanks I have to yell BANG BANG to "simulate" firing my rifle. Or when a Communication Regiment does not have enough radio sets or in some cases none at all. It does not help anyone when we live in Canada yet some units due to budget cuts do winter warfare every other year or in some cases once every 3 years. It does not help soldiers that the Government of Canada sold our Chinook Helicopters to the Netherlands in oder to save money and then had to beg the Dutch for transport in the very helicopter they bought from us. I can go on with this, but it get boring listing all the deficiencies that we have to work around.

And yet the conservative party - having cried that very line for years in opposition - actually demanded the Libs send you to Iraq and were 100% in full support that the forces be engaged in combat ops in both Iraq and Afghanistan!

I'm sorry but most of the soldiers who I have worked with actually see the fact that support the troops is a fad. There is a small percentage of Canadians who support the troops, whether there is a war or not, the majority of support the troops enthusiasts are on board to show how patriotic they are. Most soldiers don't care who supports the troops or not if that does not equate to cash. Because support for the troops does not help me or anyone else when instead of doing training with blanks I have to yell BANG BANG to "simulate" firing my rifle. Or when a Communication Regiment does not have enough radio sets or in some cases none at all. It does not help anyone when we live in Canada yet some units due to budget cuts do winter warfare every other year or in some cases once every 3 years. It does not help soldiers that the Government of Canada sold our Chinook Helicopters to the Netherlands in oder to save money and then had to beg the Dutch for transport in the very helicopter they bought from us. I can go on with this, but it get boring listing all the deficiencies that we have to work around.

Jack Layton was by no means the first to suggest peace with the Taliban. The problem with his ideas was that they were unlikely to succeed, for example saying that aid workers could not do their job because of the soldiers rather then the Taliban. The way that he and the NDP in general seem to ignore the facts that the Taliban do not care wether you are NGO worker or a Soldier they will kill you. The suggestion that we are the reason that women don't get proper medical car, or girls do not receive an education, that is insulting. When the NDP and the Liberals get a clue with regards to the Military and "Peacekeeping" then the military can take them serious.

I'm sorry but most of the soldiers who I have worked with actually see the fact that support the troops is a fad. There is a small percentage of Canadians who support the troops, whether there is a war or not, the majority of support the troops enthusiasts are on board to show how patriotic they are. Most soldiers don't care who supports the troops or not if that does not equate to cash.

Great stuff, and it doesnt suprise me a bit that troops can see through this type of sloganeering, and "support the troops" being used as a political slogan and political wedge. You must find it incredibly condescending.

When the NDP and the Liberals get a clue with regards to the Military and "Peacekeeping" then the military can take them serious.

All of our national parties need to get a clue in this regard.