Kenney says you can't get EI if you turndown work.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/18/conservatives-want-unemployed-to-fill-jobs-going-to-temporary-foreign-workers-jason-kenney/

Ottawa is preparing to crack down on employment-insurance recipients who are not seeking work in areas where employers are forced to bring in foreign workers to fill jobs.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said Wednesday the government wants to reduce disincentives to work by creating a “greater connection” between the EI program and the temporary foreign worker program, which is under Mr. Kenney’s purview.

“What we will be doing is making people aware there’s hiring going on and reminding them that they have an obligation to apply for available work and to take it if they’re going to qualify for EI,” Mr. Kenney told the National Post editorial board on Wednesday. He was touting immigration reforms that will try to streamline the entry of immigrants and foreign workers, favouring entrepreneurs, innovators and those with high quality professional credentials.

The reforms would require unemployed Canadians to accept local jobs that are currently being filled by temporary foreign workers.

“Nova Scotia province-wide has 10% unemployment, but the only way Christmas tree operators can function in the Annapolis Valley is to bring in Mexicans through this agricultural worker program,” he said, also pointing to the increased number of Russians working in Prince Edward Island fish processing plants and Romanians working at the Ganong chocolate factory in New Brunswick.

I guess the only argument against this is if you have to maintain a certain salary to keep your home and the seasonal worker job can't sustain you.

But if you work a construction job or a season job, work the required hours then take the rest of the year off and go on EI, you're wasting government money.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/18/conservatives-want-unemployed-to-fill-jobs-going-to-temporary-foreign-workers-jason-kenney/

I guess the only argument against this is if you have to maintain a certain salary to keep your home and the seasonal worker job can't sustain you.

But if you work a construction job or a season job, work the required hours then take the rest of the year off and go on EI, you're wasting government money.

If you have to maintain a certain salary to keep a home, then you need to depend on a job, not on EI. Move. Get a cheaper house.

You're not wasting govt money, you're wasting my money.

Nope. Employment Insurance is and Insurance. We pay up to 900 dollars a year to cover us for the times we can not find work, if I am a computer tech I shouldn't go be a Christmas tree farmer because our government doesn't understand how insurance works.

If you have to maintain a certain salary to keep a home, then you need to depend on a job, not on EI. Move. Get a cheaper house.

Yeah but EI gives you a suitable time to find a comparable job if you get laid off.

Anyone can get a job at a McDonald or Tim Hortons any day of the week. But if you had a $60,000+/year job the EI would be worth more to you than the service sector job.

I think this idea is targeted at people that only work the minimum hours a year to get EI then bugger off the rest of the year.

Nope. Employment Insurance is and Insurance. We pay up to 900 dollars a year to cover us for the times we can not find work, if I am a computer tech I shouldn't go be a Christmas tree farmer because our government doesn't understand how insurance works.

So you should be allowed to focus you're job search to one specific industry? I don't think that's right at all.

"I will only take work that pays me 6 figures in an office, If not I'll just sit at home and collect a government cheque"

:rolleyes:

Edited by Boges

Yeah but EI gives you a suitable time to find a comparable job if you get laid off.

Anyone can get a job at a McDonald or Tim Hortons any day of the week. But if you had a $60,000+/year job the EI would be worth more to you than the service sector job.

I think this idea is targeted at people that only work the minimum hours a year to get EI then bugger off the rest of the year.

But we already have a scaling system to address those people. It takes more hours each time you claim EI.

So you should be allowed to focus you're job search to one specific industry? I don't think that's right at all.

"I will only take work that pays me 6 figures in an office, If not I'll just sit at home and collect a government cheque"

:rolleyes:

That is why we have Employment Insurance. That is the very reason to give those people time to find a match with an employer so we don't have qualified Wielders stuck working the lines at the local store because they have no time to look for work and have to make rent. That is the whole point of the system.

How long does it take to burn the 900 bux you put into it?

Some people use EI to take long vacations. If you continuously use EI that way you should be refused benefits.

If you are a computer tech in Bunghole N & L you can always move to an area that actually has computers to "tech". I have 3 sons in this trade & none of them have been out of work for the last 20 years-- of course, their job market is Toronto area, an area which actually has computers.

RELOCATE. :blink:

Edited by Tilter

How long does it take to burn the 900 bux you put into it?

Some people use EI to take long vacations. If you continuously use EI that way you should be refused benefits.

If you are a computer tech in Bunghole N & L you can always move to an area that actually has computers to "tech" I have 3 sons in this trade & none of them have been out of work for the last 20 years-- of course, their job market is Toronto area, an area which actually has computers.

RELOCATE.

That is already a part of the EI laws. That isn't what this is about. It is about finding a way to give less people EI so the government can go back to stealing from it to balance budgets.

Edited by punked

In the examples given, you have areas of high unemployment where people are turning down work and employers have to hire abroad. That practice should stop.

So you target people by geographical area? So If I am a computer programmer in NS I have to go to cut Christmas tree to keep my EI but If I am one in Alberta they will keep paying me and not make me work at Tim Horton's. More give Alberta everything from this government.

Also I notice the government is making up unemployment numbers now. NS has had under 10 unemployment for like 2 straight years they are at like 8% right now. I know it makes for a better case but it only makes think the government is story telling to make a better case to cut people off from the EI they paid into.

So you target people by geographical area? So If I am a computer programmer in NS I have to go to cut Christmas tree to keep my EI but If I am one in Alberta they will keep paying me and not make me work at Tim Horton's. More give Alberta everything from this government.

Also I notice the government is making up unemployment numbers now. NS has had under 10 unemployment for like 2 straight years they are at like 8% right now. I know it makes for a better case but it only makes think the government is story telling to make a better case to cut people off from the EI they paid into.

So being a Computer Tech is seasonal work now? :unsure:

So being a Computer Tech is seasonal work now? :unsure:

So now the government is only going to make me go cut Christmas if I am out of work from Sept-Aug, then what they only make me plant trees during that season, NS has a big blue berry season I guess I only have to pick those during that season. Etc. Or lose my EI but outside of all those Season I can have EI and look for Computer work?

That isn't what this INSURANCE is about.

Again why is the government lying about the NS employment rate to make their case? It has been 8-9% for the last two years and later this year when the NSPS starts it is set to tumble even more.

Edited by punked

Why are the CPC acting like Marxists? They're building an agricultural army.

I'm a computer programmer and I lose my job in NS. I have to take a job cutting trees in the winter or I can't collect EI. My contract ends and I can't collect EI at all now because it was seasonal work. Or, if I can collect EI, I have to go plant trees or work on blueberry farms through the summer. I'm sure those 12 hour shifts leave a person with tons of ambition to go hunting for jobs in the meantime. I bet the farmers would love all the sick calls as people go to job interviews with other potential employers. This is just a terrible idea all around.

Why are the CPC acting like Marxists? They're building an agricultural army.

I'm a computer programmer and I lose my job in NS. I have to take a job cutting trees in the winter or I can't collect EI. My contract ends and I can't collect EI at all now because it was seasonal work. Or, if I can collect EI, I have to go plant trees or work on blueberry farms through the summer. I'm sure those 12 hour shifts leave a person with tons of ambition to go hunting for jobs in the meantime. I bet the farmers would love all the sick calls as people go to job interviews with other potential employers. This is just a terrible idea all around.

It just doesn't make sense. It isn't like EI is broke, they had lots of money before the government stole it.

Smokescreen.

The Conservatives want to bring in Hundreds of thousands of Asian workers into alberta use Foreign Temp Agencies.

This is Kennys Mandate.

If I want a Conservative to misrepresent EI and how it works.. we always have Diane Finley.. she never has a clue.

Correctomundo...

So you target people by geographical area? So If I am a computer programmer in NS I have to go to cut Christmas tree to keep my EI.
Not a lot of demand for computer programmers in NS so if you are going to insist on staying there then you better start cutting Christmas trees. If you are willing to relocate you should be able to provide evidence of the jobs in other locations that you have applied to.

Not a lot of demand for computer programmers in NS so if you are going to insist on staying there then you better start cutting Christmas trees. If you are willing to relocate you should be able to provide evidence of the jobs in other locations that you have applied to.

EI was put in place so people would have time to look for jobs in their field. It was put in place to make the economy more productive giving those people will skills and who have been employed time to find jobs to match those skills so companies don't have to train someone new every time their is job opening. Now we will have computer programmers cutting down trees while people who are less skilled are hired in that job all due to luck of the draw. Bad plan. EI already has a scaling system which targets geographical areas. This is so the government can tax us for EI more and kick us off the Insurance we paid into easier. They have already made EI waiting lines longer but making bad policy. Now this. Why does the government hate those who are down on their luck? Bad policy.

The Conservatives want to bring in Hundreds of thousands of Asian workers into alberta use Foreign Temp Agencies.

Actually I believe the conservatives want to bring in thousands of Asians because they will be easier to exploit!

WWWTT

EI was put in place so people would have time to look for jobs in their field. It was put in place to make the economy more productive giving those people will skills and who have been employed time to find jobs to match those skills so companies don't have to train someone new every time their is job opening.

EI also distributes wealth around too!

WWWTT