Rebuilding the Liberal Brand

The Liberals are the government in PEI.
Population 80,000. Wow!

The NDP are now in power in Nova Scotia.

If I were a federal Canada Smallwood Liberal, I would think seriously.

-----

Newfoundlander - As a Newfoundlander, what kind of federalist are you? Heck, what kind of Newfoundlander are you?

Edited by August1991

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Population 80,000. Wow!

The NDP are now in power in Nova Scotia.

If I were a federal Canada Smallwood Liberal, I would think seriously.

-----

Newfoundlander - As a Newfoundlander, what kind of federalist are you? Heck, what kind of Newfoundlander are you?

You said they weren't in power east of Ontario, if you're that ignorant to not consider a province of 140,000 important enough that's not my problem.

What difference does it make to you what kind of federalist I am or what kind of Newfoundlander I am? Especially seeing it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

You said they weren't in power east of Ontario, if you're that ignorant to not consider a province of 140,000 important enough that's not my problem.

What difference does it make to you what kind of federalist I am or what kind of Newfoundlander I am? Especially seeing it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Actually Newfoundlander, I found the Shakespeare quote to be quite appropriate.

Anyhow, although you are correct that August erred by forgetting about PEI, so what? You are attacking his model and not his point.

The Liberals truly have no SERIOUS level of support left outside of Metro Toronto. They show no signs of recovering support from any other area. What's more, the Tories and the NDP are doing a good job of consolidating their support in every area.

Outside of finding a genie in a bottle, from where is any Liberal political recovery going to come?

People do seem to be demanding clear choices. This has not been a Liberal forte for a long, long time.

The Liberal Party in Britain faded away in favour of a Tory/Labour split. We may be witnessing the same thing here in Canada.

Its been stated here and by commentators everywhere, but a Mulcair win this weekend was the worst possible outcome for the Liberals. I can't get that image out of my mind yesterday as Rae came out to speak after QP and all the reporters stampeding over to Mulcair once he came out to speak.

The over-inflated Liberal balloon of the last few months has burst. They no longer have a puppet Leader of the Opposition to deal with. They have a strong, articulate speaker who ACTUALLY talks about policies.

The first thing the Liberals need to do is force Rae to signal his intentions. If he is going to run for the permanent leadership, fess up and get a leadership convention going. The fact no one is publically signalling they will run is quite troubling. It either means they trust Rae to deliver the goods (which I don't think is accurate) or no one wants to leader a third-place party.

For all the talk of renewal since last year's vote, all it appears to be is TALK.

The Liberal Party in Britain faded away in favour of a Tory/Labour split. We may be witnessing the same thing here in Canada.

That has actually happened in EVERY western Democracy except Canada. A Conservative/Labour split was going to happen sometime as it has happened in EVERY modern Democracy it just took Canada 50 years longer then everyone else.

Anyhow, although you are correct that August erred by forgetting about PEI, so what? You are attacking his model and not his point.

The Liberals truly have no SERIOUS level of support left outside of Metro Toronto. They show no signs of recovering support from any other area. What's more, the Tories and the NDP are doing a good job of consolidating their support in every area.

Outside of finding a genie in a bottle, from where is any Liberal political recovery going to come?

People do seem to be demanding clear choices. This has not been a Liberal forte for a long, long time.

I agree that the Liberals are likely doomed but that doesn't change the fact that they are in government in PEI.

I agree that the Liberals are likely doomed but that doesn't change the fact that they are in government in PEI.

As I said, that affects his model but not his point. I understand your irritation about someone forgetting all about a Maritime province, however. My family is from Pictou, after all.

Ontario is very prone to do this. Quebec of course rarely thinks about anything outside of Quebec at all! :lol:

Canada needs to keep three parties, so we have a choice. I hope the liberals can rebuild and become a better party with better members, especially from Quebec where their downfall with the Adscam destroyed their party. I can't see them moving into first place in the next election, but, hopefully, they can take second and the Tories move down to third.

Canada needs to keep three parties, so we have a choice. I hope the liberals can rebuild and become a better party with better members, especially from Quebec where their downfall with the Adscam destroyed their party. I can't see them moving into first place in the next election, but, hopefully, they can take second and the Tories move down to third.

I actually agree with you topaz, we need 2 strong parties ,the cons(in power) and libs(opposition) and then the NDP for comic relief.

PEI is a political power to be considered---- They have 1 MP & 1 Senator for each 30, 000 people. If Ontario had the same representation we would have 275 MP & 275 Senators. If BC had that power they would have a bridge to Vancouver Island to serve the 1/2 million people who live there.

How can you say this? they have Bob Rae------------------ oh yeah--- now I see.