Is Making Jihadi Notes in Afghan Koran a Desecration?

jbg

Lots of ink has been spilled about the U.S. soldiers' burning of Korans, and the resulting Afghan "anger" at this "outrage". This article (link, excerpts below) details some of the violence:

American casualties in Afghan protests mount: Six advisers hurt in grenade attack as Kabul hunts for policeman who killed senior officers

Another seven American military advisers have been injured in Afghanistan as US casualties from protests at troops burning the Koran mount.

The Americans were injured in the city of Kunduz when protesters threw a grenade at their base.

It comes on the sixth day of violent protest in Afghanistan amid anger at American troops who threw a Koran onto a rubbish fire at Bagram air base last week.

Two senior US officers, a lieutenant colonel and a major, were yesterday shot in the back of the head by an Afghan policeman as they worked at the interior ministry.

It said: 'Initial reports indicate an individual turned his weapon against International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service members in Kabul City today [saturday], killing two servicemembers.'

Buried deep in one of the articles (link, brief excerpt below) is a description of what caused the Korans to be pitched into the rubbish fire:

NATO is still investigating what led to the decision to burn Korans and other religious texts, an act that led President Obama to issue a public apology on Thursday.

Early reports said that the books had messages written in them from detained Taliban suspects. Most of the Korans that were rescued from the flames are still at Bagram Air Base in a locked container, kept as evidence.

The Taliban were quick to claim responsibility for the shooting, saying one of their members had infiltrated the ministry. The Taliban regularly claim responsibility for NATO deaths.

I have one question that the media has not posed that I'd like an answer to: "Is the original writing of 'messages" in the Koran itself a defacement of the Koran?" Maybe its the Taliban that should receive the brunt of the rage.

Edited by jbg

I'll burn a Koran, I'll burn a bible, I'll burn the Canadian flag, I'll burn a Toronto Maple Leaf flag

I pledge allegiance to nobody and nothing

In the end it really doesn't matter and it sure as hell doesn't mean a bunch of religious zealots are justified in killing and raping as a result of this

It was incredibly stupid of the U.S military to burn their stupid books knowing what happened last time

if you're going to do that do it some place that nobody can see

I know U.S apologized but is the Afghanistan President going to apologize for all of the senseless murders?

Probably not...these people still live in the stone age and I am afraid always will because religion breeds ignorance and their culture is all religion

I have one question that the media has not posed that I'd like an answer to: "Is the original writing of 'messages" in the Koran itself a defacement of the Koran?" Maybe its the Taliban that should receive the brunt of the rage.

I think writing on their holy book would be a defacement by definition ..whether they believe that is another story

I don't think they will blame The Taliban, Afghanistan has been the centre of invasions at least twice in the last 20 years by NATO / Russia, The Taliban are freedom fighters first of all which I respect.. If the U.S or Russia invaded Canada and took it I would probably join a militant resistance movement too to defend my family..nobody likes it when foreigners invade their land, I sympathize with that...and the people there know that so I highly doubt the Afghanistan people will turn on them ..The Taliban are members of their family

You are free to disagree with me on my opinion that they are Freedom Fighters

I do know some of them throw acid in faces of women..so I don't know... in some ways they aren't freedom fighters

Edited by olpfan1

....You are free to disagree with me on my opinion that they are Freedom Fighters

I do know some of them throw acid in faces of women..so I don't know... in some ways they aren't freedom fighters

Christo! Make up your mind....your "Freedom Fighters" have killed quite a few Canadians.

Wrong...they died for what they believed in, their brothers in arms, and your right to criticize both.

No I mean they literally died for no reason at all

Afghanistan is a soldier wasteland

They didn't die protecting their country, they died because they werr used as pawns by their government

How can I be angry at the Taliban when we were the aggressors?

do you honestly think young adults join the army cause they believe in it?

they do it cause its a job

Some wars need to be fought but this was not one

so no they didnt fight in afghanistan so i could criticize them

im not an american war mongerer like you.. you obviously were brain washed as a child

that people who join the military do so because they believe in the cause

and that every god damn war is justified

you are frickin wrong

Edited by olpfan1

No, you mean you think you have a better reason for them to die.

They didn't die protecting their country, they died because they werr used as pawns by their government

How can I be angry at the Taliban when we were the aggressors?

Nobody said you had to be angry at the Taliban....or your government.

...and the "job" means you have somebody else's back....and they have yours.

Some wars need to be fought but this was not one

Not your call...they volunteered for the mission and duty.

so no they didnt fight in afghanistan so i could criticize them

But you just did.

im not an american war mongerer like you.. you obviously were brain washed as a child

that people who join the military do so because they believe in the cause

and that every god damn war is justified

No, actually I watched draft dodgers run to Canada for you to hug them.

you are frickin wrong

..and you are just mad 'cause I called you on it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Gee...guess you are batting 1.000 so far. "You're" pissed...that's funny.

I am anti war unless my country is under attack by a foreign military or if a foreign military is attacking a close ally

I don't consider 12 men in airplanes crashing into buildings a foreign military

I am anti war unless my country is under attack by a foreign military or if a foreign military is attacking a close ally

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with the NATO and UN Charters in this case.

I don't consider 12 men in airplanes crashing into buildings a foreign military

Your elected government felt otherwise.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Your elected government felt otherwise.

Then they attacked the wrong country.. they were all Saudis, they were being financed by Saudi money

Some were even trained in Saudi Arabia

attacking Afghanistan was like arresting the foot soldiers in a criminal organization but not going after the king pin (Saudi Arabia)

crap like that keeps Jimmy McNulty up at night

Edited by olpfan1

I'll burn a bible, I'll burn the Canadian flag, I'll burn a Toronto Maple Leaf flag

now imagine if you were a foreigner occupying canada. how would canadians feel about your action? another thing is that i see the koran burning as a trigger to an already deep dislike for an occupier who has killed thousands of their people. like for example, the (accidental) bombing of at least 2 weddings that i remember happening.

obama did the right thing by at least apologizing for the stupid disrespectful act by a group of kids who have been given guns to fight a neverending war. the same group of kids who piss on dead afghans and then post the video online. the same kids who take body parts of dead afghans as trophy.

their anger towards the occupier is justified, but some of the actions that they've taken is not.

Early reports said that the books had messages written in them from detained Taliban suspects. Most of the Korans that were rescued from the flames are still at Bagram Air Base in a locked container, kept as evidence.

It would be an horrific desecration of the Qur'an, and I for one don't believe this is the case.

More logically it was a mistake, that the Servicemen in question should have been aware of. The fact that they either weren't aware, or didn't care is par for the course.

How can I be angry at the Taliban when we were the aggressors?....Some wars need to be fought but this was not one

Somehow people forget why we went into Afghanistan. After the September 11 attacks, the U.S. government gave the Taliban an ultimatum; turn over Bin Laden or we invade. It had everything to do with the Taliban's complicity in allowing Afghanistan's soil to be used as staging grounds for a massacre. The West cannot tolerate the use of failed states as places to prepare terrorist attacks.

Some do. And the use of mercenaries is time-honored and necessary.

yes they said they were looking for bin laden but months after 911 they werent "concerned" about him

Perhaps because by then Bin Laden had fled? Maybe we didn't need another psychological loss.