Too much spam.

kimmy

This is getting ridiculous. I know the moderators do their best, but it is a losing battle. Right now there are a half dozen brand new member accounts that all appear to be spammers, and one of them has posted nearly 100 messages already this morning.

Unfortunately, I think a tougher policy for new members is required.

-k

Maybe require a "capta" as part of new member registration. Or a 24 hour wait before someone can post, with perhaps a waiver if the person sends a pre-email to Greg or Charles?

The forum needs a better verification process or they need to give more people the ability to disable the accounts of spammers and delete advertisements.

I think that would be a good idea. I think that if trusted long-time members were given that ability, with the solemn vow that it be used only on advertisements, I think that would go a long way to settling the issue.

-k

WWWTT

It's absolutely ridiculous that a site would allow anyone to post over three hundred times in a day, let alone a brand new account. When was the software for this place written anyway, 1970?

I know that at one point they had some annoying software which made you wait a minute or two between posts. It was ham-handed, especially since it counted time from when you tried to reply instead of when you actually hit 'post' but it did at least prevent this sort of thing. Of course, a better solution would be to lock down how often a single account could post in a a day, and lower that limit substantially for new accounts. I'd say 10 posts should be the maximum a new account could post in a day, at least for the first week.

Give me moderator powers, and I will make the trains run on time. That's all I'm saying.

-k

Unfortunately, waldo is right. You would need Admin powers to de-activate the accounts and delete all of their posts in one action. Otherwise, you will just be wasting your time chasing a spambot around the forum without actually being able to put a stop to the spamming.

Waldo, you should make it clearer what you're posting and perhaps fire off an email to Charles or Greg about installing the mod.

It's absolutely ridiculous that a site would allow anyone to post over three hundred times in a day, let alone a brand new account.

Ya this spam bot thing/person or whatever its called really messed up all the threads here bad!

Something has to be done about this.I don't know what the solution is but I know that this has got to be the moderators #1 priority!

WWWTT

There are currently 3 more spambots in the Active Users list right now. It really is bad.

This thread over at IPS's forum mentions some ways to prevent it through the AdminCP without singing up for the Spam Monitoring that waldo posted. They suggest enabling Google reCAPTCHA, Question and Answer Challenge, and Email Validation. I'm not sure if all of these things are enabled for new accounts or not.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/329202-managing-spam-account-registrations/

Edited by cybercoma

This is getting ridiculous. I know the moderators do their best, but it is a losing battle. Right now there are a half dozen brand new member accounts that all appear to be spammers, and one of them has posted nearly 100 messages already this morning.

Unfortunately, I think a tougher policy for new members is required.

-k

Kimmy, this has always been a problem. I have not seen a change.

----

I report spam posts and the forum administrators (Charles/Greg et al) eventually deal with it.

MLW is a small space on the Internet. And guys (not women) run it.

IOW, sometimes there's clutter, and sometimes on MLW people drink straight from the bottle without a glass.

Thank you oh great and powerfull admin.

All is back to normal,well normal for here anyways before the wrath of the spam demons was cast upon us.

Good job. Yes the great Gazoo has waved his magic wand and solved the problem. Who is he?

Ignore that man behind the curtain!!!

:D

Good job. Yes the great Gazoo has waved his magic wand and solved the problem. Who is he?

Ignore that man behind the curtain!!!

:D

The Great Gazoo never had a magic wand.

That guy was so freekin powerfull all he had to do was snap his fingers.Aswell I would estimate his height to be from 25-40cm and 50% of his overall height was his head alone.I would also guess that about 60% of his body weight was just his brain!

The Great Gazoo never had to walk either because he had the incredible ability to foat 2.2M off the ground.And keep in mind that he was so powerfull and brilliant he created a doomsday devise that could completely destroy the entire universe!

WWWTT