Another Work Stoppage in Toronto.

Boges

So I can fire you for going on strike then? Or for organizing a union in the first place?

In the case of the 2nd point,I suppose you could...

On the first,not if the employee's are in a LEGAL strike position...

Sould your business be taken from you if you lock said employee's out?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of the 2nd point,I suppose you could...

On the first,not if the employee's are in a LEGAL strike position...

That's exactly my point, why is that legal? If your contract is up, and you don't like my offer, I should be free to give it to anyone else who does find it acceptable.

Sould your business be taken from you if you lock said employee's out?

Why should it, it's my company. I can open or close the doors whenever I see fit.

Edited by Bryan

That's exactly my point, why is that legal? If your contract is up, and you don't like my offer, I should be free to give it to anyone else who does find it acceptable.

Why should it, it's my company. I can open or close the doors whenever I see fit.

It's legal because we have labour laws in this country that are'nt designed to assist the whims of employers solely...

They are called "negotiations' for a reason....

A Lock Out is not the same as someone going out of business...

Labour is allowed to form combines in the same way that business sometimes does.

Why ? It works.

In business, if your contract is up, and you don't like the terms of the new offer, you don't have the right to hold the other business hostage. They can just move on without you if they see fit.

Why? It works.

In business, if your contract is up, and you don't like the terms of the new offer, you don't have the right to hold the other business hostage. They can just move on without you if they see fit.

Why? It works.

Because,by law,a company and a bargaining unit must negotiate in good faith...

And we have laws which deal those who don't...

A Lock Out is an attempt at holding one of these groups hostage...You do realize it takes at least two groups to negotiate a labour contract,right?

Because,by law,a company and a bargaining unit must negotiate in good faith...

And we have laws which deal those who don't...

I'm aware of those laws, and I find them deeply offensive. Threatening to walk off the job and expecting not to be fired for it is not good faith. Holding taxpayers hostage is not good faith.

Combines work too. Who do you get cable from if you don't like Bell or Rogers ?

I get my cable from Shaw and/or MTS. No contracts with either too. I'm free to move on to another provider if I don't like their terms.

Plenty of other non-cable viewing options these days too.

Sure. You going to front him the money to start his own business? How about if there are no jobs in his area that will allow him to pay his mortgage and loans that he got while doing this job?

You don't quite seem to understand the ramification of business decisions on people and communities. They get to make these decisions with impunity. Flint, Michigan is the perfect example of the devastation that can be caused by CEOs packing up and moving their business off shore where they can pay workers $3 per day. Who picks up the cost of the social devastation left in their wake? The taxpayers. Which is ironic too, since the government tries to entice businesses to stay with tax-breaks and other... what's that word you conservatives like to use... entitlements. So we've got ourselves into a situation these days where people instead of being paid to work are paying the corporations for the "privilege" of having a job.

That's ok though. It's no big deal. Pretty soon the tax base will be so eroded that we won't be able to afford the social safety net, conservative governments will burn the programs to the ground, and people will have nothing left to lose. Companies will continue to lose money because fewer people will be able to buy their products. That's when the $#!+ will really hit the fan and instead of everyone being disillusioned into expecting the government to "regulate" the tumultuous markets, they'll begin questioning the legitimacy of the entire economic order. All because the corporate parasites are going to bleed their hosts dry because they're too stupid to do anything about it.

Sure. You going to front him the money to start his own business? How about if there are no jobs in his area that will allow him to pay his mortgage and loans that he got while doing this job?

There are plenty of programs available for those types of things. Jobs in the area is a sorry excuse. Make a job. Or Move. People do it all the time.

His debts are not my problem, I didn't rack them up.

Flint, Michigan is the perfect example of the devastation that can be caused by CEOs packing up and moving their business off shore where they can pay workers $3 per day.

BS. Michigan is a perfect example of greedy unions forcing the companies to have no choice but to outsource the work because the local cost was beyond what the market and the business could bear.

Who picks up the cost of the social devastation left in their wake? The taxpayers. Which is ironic too, since the government tries to entice businesses to stay with tax-breaks and other... what's that word you conservatives like to use... entitlements. So we've got ourselves into a situation these days where people instead of being paid to work are paying the corporations for the "privilege" of having a job.

You'd prefer that we not have any safety net for people who lose their jobs... even when they were the ones who chased those jobs out of town? I do agree that it's not fair that taxpayers are on the hook for the jobs the workers themselves destroyed. That's what we do in our society though. We help even the self-destructive people.

You know nothing about what Roger Smith did to GM in the 80s, do you? They were profitable. They were making billions each year. He closed the plants in Flint and shipped production to Mexico because it was cheaper.... even though GM was still making billions. Sorry, but that's not union greed or employee greed. That's corporate greed.

You know nothing about what Roger Smith did to GM in the 80s, do you? They were profitable. They were making billions each year. He closed the plants in Flint and shipped production to Mexico because it was cheaper.... even though GM was still making billions. Sorry, but that's not union greed or employee greed. That's corporate greed.

Sure.

But this has nothing to do with how powerful Public Service Unions have become. It's like they're playing a different game than the rest of us.

Sorry, but that's not union greed or employee greed. That's corporate greed.

It's not called greed if corporations do it. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. They're supposed to want more money and power to make money - it's what they do.

I'd rather we stop adding moralistic terms to a desire for more cash on both sides.

It's not called greed if corporations do it. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. They're supposed to want more money and power to make money - it's what they do.

I'd rather we stop adding moralistic terms to a desire for more cash on both sides.

Sure...

But organized labour stands as a correct check against that unfettered corporate greed...

Sure...

But organized labour stands as a correct check against that unfettered corporate greed...

With unfettered greed of their own? :unsure:

Local 416 sent out letters warning people that if they were locked out then access to hockey arenas will be limited. :rolleyes:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/23/holyday-upset-over-cupe-local-416s-letter

Bet they didn't do similar stuff when they went on Strike in 2009.

With unfettered greed of their own? :unsure:

Local 416 sent out letters warning people that if they were locked out then access to hockey arenas will be limited. :rolleyes:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/23/holyday-upset-over-cupe-local-416s-letter

Bet they didn't do similar stuff when they went on Strike in 2009.

I'm not specifically talking about public sector unions...

If you had'nt noticed,the discussion has broadened a bit...