Harper Government wishes Merry Christmas to the unemployed

Rick

Close to 90,000 Canadians will find themselves shorter on cash than expected this Christmas due to delays of more than three months in processing their Employment Insurance claims.

In the past the federal government has approved overtime to get claims processed, but this year, says the Public Service Alliance of Canada, workers have been told there is no budget for overtime.

One of the people waiting is P.E.I. fishermen Dave Gaudet.

"It's been six weeks since I got anything so you know, around Christmas you like to have some money."

Gaudet could be waiting a long time yet. Figures obtained by CBC News show of more than 200,000 new EI claimants about a quarter have been waiting more than 28 days. The numbers for those with revised claims is even worse. Forty per cent of them, almost 90,000 Canadians, have been waiting at least 100 days.

A nice Christmas present no doubt delivered by Harper's reindeer, Slasher...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most appalling part about attacking EI is that it's an insurance scheme. Employees pay into it. It's not welfare or social assistance.

It's only your money for so long. After a number of months, you're no longer collecting your money back. You're collecting money that you haven't paid in.

It's only your money for so long. After a number of months, you're no longer collecting your money back. You're collecting money that you haven't paid in.

Sounds like you're unclear on the concept of "insurance." If your house burns down, is any extra money you collect beyond the premiums you've paid not really "your" money?

Figures obtained by CBC News show of more than 200,000 new EI claimants about a quarter have been waiting more than 28 days

Waiting 28 days is the standard waiting time. Service Canada suggests that you should receive your first payment within 28 days. Should.

Sounds like you're unclear on the concept of "insurance." If your house burns down, is any extra money you collect beyond the premiums you've paid not really "your" money?

Employment insurance doesn't work the same way as car or house insurance. Sounds like you're unclear.

Uh, Rick, could you please show proof of how Harper is personally involved in this as your title suggests. Harper had nothing to do with it, even the CBC doesn't name him. None the less, it's a lousy thing to do at Christmas especially if they've done it in years past, allocating extra workers to process the claims shouldn't be a big deal for a week or two.

Edited by sharkman

Employment insurance doesn't work the same way as car or house insurance. Sounds like you're unclear.

No that is just would Employment insurance works Shady, it is and insurance. You are paying into it because you have the risk of being unemployed and when you become unemployed you will need the money to live while you find another job. It is a risk assessment that is why you can get more out of it then you pay in and visa versa. It works just like any insurance accept when the Conservatives are in charge then they try to ruin the system from the inside apparently.

You clearly don't understand.

No that is just would Employment insurance works Shady, it is and insurance. You are paying into it because you have the risk of being unemployed and when you become unemployed you will need the money to live while you find another job.

Really? Then why doesn't one continue to receive benefits after 35 weeks if they still haven't found work? I mean, it's insurance right? And you're still unemployed right?

No that is just would Employment insurance works Shady, it is and insurance. You are paying into it because you have the risk of being unemployed and when you become unemployed you will need the money to live while you find another job. It is a risk assessment that is why you can get more out of it then you pay in and visa versa. It works just like any insurance accept when the Conservatives are in charge then they try to ruin the system from the inside apparently.

You clearly don't understand.

Uh, yeah, I really don't understand your first sentence. Take your time and proof your post a little!

Again, are you saying it's meant to only pay back what you put in?

No, I'm not saying that. But the claim that somebody is just getting their money back is incorrect. If somebody is on EI for an extended period of time, they can end up getting a lot more back than they paid in. I'm not saying that isn't fair, or unfair. But it's a fact.

Really? Then why doesn't one continue to receive benefits after 35 weeks if they still haven't found work? I mean, it's insurance right? And you're still unemployed right?

Because there is a cap on the insurance Shady just like Car insurance in NS. Again it works just like every other insurance plan Shady.

Because there is a cap on the insurance Shady just like Car insurance in NS. Again it works just like every other insurance plan Shady.

That's fine. But don't pretend that somebody getting EI is just getting the money back that they paid in. That's only the case up to a certain point. That's all I'm saying.

No, I'm not saying that. But the claim that somebody is just getting their money back is incorrect. If somebody is on EI for an extended period of time, they can end up getting a lot more back than they paid in. I'm not saying that isn't fair, or unfair. But it's a fact.

That doesn't mean the Conservatives should cut back and destroy the system for Canadians who need it Shady. They are the government they need to fix this so out of work Canadians who are down on their luck have a service they PAID for.

That's fine. But don't pretend that somebody getting EI is just getting the money back that they paid in. That's only the case up to a certain point. That's all I'm saying.

I have never pretending that because I don't think EI is a bank account I think it is an insurance plan. That is why it is called Employment INSURANCE.

That doesn't mean the Conservatives should cut back and destroy the system for Canadians who need it Shady. They are the government they need to fix this so out of work Canadians who are down on their luck have a service they PAID for.

Who's cutting back right now? Which cuts are you referring to?

But sometimes cuts have to be made. The 90s under Chretien were a perfect example. They made EI cuts and reforms. It made us more prosperous in the long run.

I have never pretending that because I don't think EI is a bank account I think it is an insurance plan. That is why it is called Employment INSURANCE.

You're right. It was actually cybercoma that thinks of it as a bank account. Getting money back that you paid in. My mistake.

Who's cutting back right now? Which cuts are you referring to?

But sometimes cuts have to be made. The 90s under Chretien were a perfect example. They made EI cuts and reforms. It made us more prosperous in the long run.

Nope the over time cuts made by this government Shady.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ndp-blames-tory-grinch-as-ei-offices-buckle-under-overtime-cuts/article2266198/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Politics&utm_content=2266198