New Classic Rock Artists

cybercoma

There seems to be a growing resurgence in classic rock style artists coming to the fore.

Saskatchewan's own Sheep Dogs made headlines earlier this year when they appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone.

And, Gary Clark Jr. performed on The Late Show with David Letterman the other night.

Has there been anyone else recently that you've noticed?

I had'nt heared any of those before.My first impression of The Sheep Dogs that they sound alot like The Guess Who...

The Gary Clark jr. song started to sound very close to Grace,Too by The Tragically Hip but then went into a standard blues number with a lot of distortion...

Both are very good...

But every once in a while,music basically needs a kick in the ass.Consider these...

This came along about 10 years ago when almost all we could hear was Britanny Spears and crappy corporate driven/throw away Hip Hop...Very basic,guitar driven Rock...

And these form this group...

Edited by Jack Weber

continued...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qD72NCJSkk

Again,at the time the choices were crappy hair bands from the US or eqyally crappy electro/techno crapola from The UK and Europe....

Simple guitar based Rock (heavily influenced by groups like The Faces and The Rolling Stones) that brings things back to basics...

But every once in a while,music basically needs a kick in the ass.Consider these...

This came along about 10 years ago when almost all we could hear was Britanny Spears and crappy corporate driven/throw away Hip Hop...Very basic,guitar driven Rock...

IMO Jack White is a modern rock God. He worships the blues, and is straight out of 1968 or 2032, I can't decide which. The White Stripes are amazing live, and gave the rock world a massive ass-kicking a decade ago:

If people want new "classic" rock just google "new bands" + "electric blues" or "blues rock". Classic rock is mostly very blues-heavy rock (Clapton, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc.)

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Good selection. My own Canadian favorites are Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young and Blue Rodeo. Then again they're my overall favorites as well, with Australian singer Slim Dusty mixing in there.

Although I like Remedy, the guys I posted are new artists, cut from the cloth of 70s rock.

Can we include the Black Keys?

I understand what you're saying,but,my point was that this seems to happen evry once in a while because it seems things go off the rails.It's like a musical reset that brings things back to basics.The examples I mentioned did this,just 10 and 20 years ago

And after listening to them,I think you could include The Black Keys...

IMO Jack White is a modern rock God. He worships the blues, and is straight out of 1968 or 2032, I can't decide which. The White Stripes are amazing live, and gave the rock world a massive ass-kicking a decade ago:

If people want new "classic" rock just google "new bands" + "electric blues" or "blues rock". Classic rock is mostly very blues-heavy rock (Clapton, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc.)

Yeah....The White Stripes came along at almost the same time as The Strokes,The Hives,and,The Soundtrack of Our Lives...

They called it "Garage Rock" but it seemed to me it was all blues based guitar rock.

Yeah....The White Stripes came along at almost the same time as The Strokes,The Hives,and,The Soundtrack of Our Lives...

They called it "Garage Rock" but it seemed to me it was all blues based guitar rock.

Yeah that was great, back when Nickelback & their clones were the only new rock on the radio it seemed & they helped blow some of that crap off the airwaves...some of it. I think the last 5 years have increasingly been a great time for rock. The internet has exposed people to so many great indie bands that would never get on the radio otherwise.

Have you seen the film "It Might Get Loud"?

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I understand what you're saying,but,my point was that this seems to happen evry once in a while because it seems things go off the rails.It's like a musical reset that brings things back to basics.The examples I mentioned did this,just 10 and 20 years ago

And after listening to them,I think you could include The Black Keys...

Man, I want to apologize. I re-read my response and it was completely douche-baggy. That's not how I meant to come off.

Honestly, I'm sorry. Thank you for contributing to the thread and I think you're right about the cycle thing.

Man, I want to apologize. I re-read my response and it was completely douche-baggy. That's not how I meant to come off.

Honestly, I'm sorry. Thank you for contributing to the thread and I think you're right about the cycle thing.

I did'nt think it was douche-baggy...

I checked out Deadmau5 and Kaskade...

That's douche-baggy...

:lol:

I like all kinds of music, so I can't really concur. Deadmau5 is good for its genre.

Nickelback on the other hand is not good under any genre.

No offense to any fans of terrible music.

I suppose if I was living a celebate lifestyle,or conversely,high on Xtacy Deadmau5 would seem like a good musical choice...

As of right now,fingernails on a chalkboard would be a serious upgrade...

I did'nt think it was douche-baggy...

I checked out Deadmau5 and Kaskade...

That's douche-baggy...

Grrrrrrrrr this is where I step in. (lol) Not much of a fan of Kaskade, but as a 'writer/producer' I am very fond of Deadmau5's work. Some of his tracks are a little bland, but as for production value goes, he is one of the best I have heard in the electronic music field.

Grrrrrrrrr this is where I step in. (lol) Not much of a fan of Kaskade, but as a 'writer/producer' I am very fond of Deadmau5's work. Some of his tracks are a little bland, but as for production value goes, he is one of the best I have heard in the electronic music field.

Electro/Techno crapola....

APP for the win! :lol:

Cool!!!

I forgot Alan Parsons assisted on Dark Side of the Moon.I should have remembered that since I'm a huge 'Floyd fan...

And you'll also notice on both of those Alan Parsons Project songs someone is playing an actual instrument instead of putting up something resembling music on a computer.In fact,if I miss my guess,the "plucky" guitar sounds very Gilmouresque on Eye in the Sky....

Edited by Jack Weber