Face veils banned for citizenship oaths

Guest American Woman

Margaret Cho was 3 seconds worth of the 8 min video posted. She's irrelevant, I was just quoting her in my original post. Her presence in the documentary is not as a comedian either.

I dont think it makes much difference in the context of this issue anyways. The proposed ban has nothing to do with whether or not muslim women are opressed or whether or not the veil constitutes opression.

Seems like you guys are just clogging things up with posts that are not in any way germane to the op.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this article interesting today.

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - Police in Indonesia's most conservative province raided a punk-rock concert and detained 65 fans, buzzing off their spiky mohawks and stripping away body piercings because of the perceived threat to Islamic values.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/nation_world/20111214_ap_hardlineindonesianpoliceshavepunkersmohawks.html#ixzz1gYlHeCm3

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Frighteningly, people in this thread have used the same logic to argue that a woman's right to dress however she want ought to be violated by banning certain garments. You know... because it threatens Canadian values.

I dont think it makes much difference in the context of this issue anyways. The proposed ban has nothing to do with whether or not muslim women are opressed or whether or not the veil constitutes opression.

Seems like you guys are just clogging things up with posts that are not in any way germane to the op.

It came up because Kenney's announcement lauded Canada as not being oppressive towards women. I argued that it is and American Woman told me to stfu because I'm a man and don't know what it's like to be a woman. While it has nothing to do with the veil ban, the argument stemmed from Kenney's reasoning for it, which I guess I'm arguing is a red-herring because it's absolutely false. It has nothing to do with Canada not being oppressive. The veil ban is nothing more than ethnocentricity, insensitivity and cultural intolerance.

Guest Derek L

derek L is on the left? he'll be surprised to here that :rolleyes: ...

when the political opinion involves morality...then that's what it is! it's not rocket science, well maybe for some on the right it is...

That's news.....I had a good chuckle though..

Guest Derek L

Maybe if you got your judgement and wisdom out of something other than a comic book it would be better placed to actually judge behavior and opinions... :rolleyes:

Comic book? I stopped reading those about 40 years ago………Instead of personal attacks, why don’t you outline your positions on when it’s ok to “control others”.

Comic book? I stopped reading those about 40 years ago………Instead of personal attacks, why don’t you outline your positions on when it’s ok to “control others”.

You should check them out again. There's a lot of really great stuff in the way of "literary graphic novels". Comic books are simply a medium. Saying I don't like comic books or comic books are for kids is kind of like saying, "I don't like radio. Music is for kids."

Guest Derek L

You should check them out again. There's a lot of really great stuff in the way of "literary graphic novels". Comic books are simply a medium. Saying I don't like comic books or comic books are for kids is kind of like saying, "I don't like radio. Music is for kids."

You never know I guess……..I use to love The Adventures of Tintin, Indecently, the movie directed by Steven Spielberg and produced by Peter Jackson, is supposed to be in theaters next week.......Offered to take my 15 year old son and he laughed at me (as did the wife), but my daughter agreed to go with me (I think out of pity)……..So you can guess who’s going to be remembered in the will <_<

Then you should bloody well know better than to compare posters on this forum who have differing opinions to Nazis!

No one who has posted in this topic can be compared to a Nazi. That's sheer idiocy and you owe the target of your ad hominem attack, and the people that truly suffered under Nazis, an apology.

oh grow a pair...I attacked no one, you may want to consult the dictionary on "ad hominem"... Derek L and discussed posts that reflected nazi beliefs, "criticize the post, not the poster"..if people don't like having their shared values with fascists criticized they shouldn't post them...

the original nazi observation was by derek L a right wing member of the forum, yet I get blamed :rolleyes:

there are people on this forum who need to grow up...if your going to make outrageous statements have the balls to stand by your post and take what comes...

oh grow a pair...I attacked no one, you may want to consult the dictionary on "ad hominem"... Derek L and discussed posts that reflected nazi beliefs, "criticize the post, not the poster"..if people don't like having their shared values with fascists criticized they shouldn't post them...

the original nazi observation was by derek L a right wing member of the forum, yet I get blamed :rolleyes:

there are people on this forum who need to grow up...if your going to make outrageous statements have the balls to stand by your post and take what comes...

oh shut the hell up wyly, you were inferring I was part of the third reich along with derek

you're a pathetic excuse for a liberal

Edited by olp1fan

Guest Derek L

I think it just furthers my point that intolerance crosses all political, gender, religious and ethnic lines…….All bigotry is after all, is ignorance in another form, and it’s quite apparent that dealing with such a person is more often than not, a futile effort, since said bigot likely doesn’t have the mental mechanics to fathom their particular plight.

I find appalling how many canadians in this forum have views that would fit right in the Third Reich point it out and it's met with "Godwins Law"!...65 yrs ago my dad was shooting people that held similar beliefs, then he moved to canada to get far away from them only to find them here as well...

if your dad really went through that you wouldnt have made such a ridiculous claim

no one here has views that would fit in with the third reich asshole

and you know what i dont care if you report me for calling you an asshole for saying my pov is that of a nazi

and you know what let me add a fuck you you piece of monkey shit while im at it

Edited by olp1fan

likely doesn’t have the mental mechanics to fathom their particular plight.

yes another perfect example of the Dunning-Kkruger effect.
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is

Strength, courage, intelligence, you need to have "balls". Women aren't oppressed in our society though. Our language even reflects it. I'm not criticizing you, wyly. It's just examples like these that are taken for granted when people make the completely wrong statement that women are equal to men and that society appreciates them for more than their appearances and sexuality.

Strength, courage, intelligence, you need to have "balls". Women aren't oppressed in our society though. Our language even reflects it... It's just examples like these that are taken for granted when people make the completely wrong statement that women are equal to men...

Inequality does not always equal oppression.

Guest American Woman

It doesn't, but when you can't even be conceived of as having the attributes necessary for leadership because they're "masculine," I would say that's oppression.

What world are you living in??

Guest American Woman

Inequality does not always equal oppression.

How much inequality are women subjected to? Women vote, have positions of leadership in the government, have their own businesses, work in any profession they choose, get custody of their kids, have bank accounts, get half the property in a divorce settlement, do whatever they choose, do anything a man does.

Furthermore, "inequality" and "only valued for their looks" are two very different things; throw in the claim that women base their self worth on their looks and it becomes even more off-base.

Then refer to the "oppression of women" here to women in countries where they have no legal rights at all, and it becomes totally ludicrous.

Then top it all off by telling a woman who claims that it isn't her reality/her daughters' reality/her family's reality/her co-workers' reality/her friends' reality that it actually is, but she's "brainwashed." Then it becomes too ridiculous for words.

It's also Cybercoma's claim(s).

Come on....ya wanted to though... ;) right?

Quite honestly there were a lot of things I wanted to say. :lol:

Apparently not mine as the Premier of my province is....wait for it...a FEMALE (gasp).

O.M.G. NOOOOOOOOO! Not a female premier! Say it's not true!! She must be beautiful - she can't be valued for her intelligence and/or leadership skills! :o

Edited by American Woman