Peter Mackay is now at it too

msj

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just which ones aren't?

Harper should have paid the airfare for a "spur of the moment" trip from Ottawa to Boston. But, in the end, meh - at least he paid something and deserves credit for that.

The CDS, preferably, should not have used any taxpayer subsidized transport for a personal vacation to the Caribbean.

Either take a vacation and learn how to delegate for a half-day, don't take a vacation at all, or pay a reasonable amount as "fair market value" for a commercial flight as reimbursement to long suffering taxpayers like Harper had the decency to do above.

Peter Mackay should not have taken the helicopter ride and should reimburse taxpayers for the full cost of it, apologize for his blunder, and not do it again.

Edited by msj

The CDS, preferably, should not have used any taxpayer subsidized transport for a personal vacation to the Caribbean.

And where is his security going to sit? Who will pay for their tickets? What happens if the CDS needs to be contacted immediately? What happens if he needs to return to Canada immediately? What of the safety of the other passengers?

[P]ay a reasonable amount as "fair market value" for a commercial flight as reimbursement to long suffering taxpayers like Harper had the decency to do above.

He said he would, if asked to (though, I don't think he should be).

Peter Mackay should not have taken the helicopter ride...

His presence on the helicopter was requested.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

He said he would, if asked to (though, I don't think he should be).

Fine, then at the very least include the cost of the flight as a taxable benefit and have him pay the tax on it.

Then we will see what these people prefer: reimburse taxpayers for a commercial flight equivalent (for himself and family members only) or have the entire benefit included as income and pay tax on it accordingly.

His presence on the helicopter was requested.

[+]

It was requested by his own office which is a polite way to say that he phoned them up and asked for a ride.

But I'm willing to give Mackay a discount of thirty silver coins for the opportunity to make the joke about his dashing ways at taxpayer expense.

That's quite a bit money nowadays. Probably would pay for the helicopter. :D

It was requested by his own office...

In response to a request from the operators:

"As such, Minister MacKay cut his personal trip to the area short to participate in this Cormorant exercise."

Apparently the search-and-rescue technicians, who have been lobbying for replacements for their fixed-wing Buffalo aircraft, had been urging the minister for some time to participate in a chopper demonstration.

[-]

Edited by g_bambino

Okay, someone is fishing. This is getting absolutely ridiculous:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/09/23/mackay-challenger-flights.html

We have two stories about Challenger jets (which the media seem completely ignorant to the purpose of) on the CBC front page. At first I was glad, because they hadn't jumped on the CTV - Robert Fife bandwagon....but they're making up for lost time.

David Cameron flew here in a Challenger. Quick off with his head, ask questions later.

Edited by Smallc

In response to a request from the operators:

[-]

The military claims that no demonstration was planned until Mackay's office made the request on that day.

Convenient to make the request while on a personal vacation.

As you can tell, I believe the military on this and not anything coming out of Mackay's office.

And if that was what had happened you might (I still think not) have a point.

Fair enough.

I really don't think it is too far out there to expect our VIP's to make arrangements for their personal vacations and to reimburse the taxpayer for the equivalent commercial value of the flight.

I also don't think it is too far out there to expect Peter Mackay to not phone up a S&R helicopter while on personal vacation to get a shuttle home.

The optics, at the very least, look terrible.

We have two stories about Challenger jets (which the media seem completely ignorant to the purpose of) on the CBC front page.

From the article:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Gen. David Johnston are required to travel on the jets for security reasons. But other government officials, who do not need the extra security, took 60 per cent of the flights, according to flight logs.

I wonder if anyone can clarify whether or not by "do not need extra security", the CBC means "do not need any security". If not, then where is the minister's security expected to go? What's to happen if the minister needs to conduct secure communications mid-flight? Has to look over secure papers? Etc., etc., etc.

The military claims that no demonstration was planned until Mackay's office made the request on that day.

But the request to carry one out had already been submitted to Mackay's office.

Convenient to make the request while on a personal vacation.

Actually, cutting your vacation short by three days would be considered by most people to be inconvenient.

Non sequitur.

It was a non sequitur in the first place.

If you guys are unable to distinguish between personal and business and the necessity to have some kind of system in place to deal with the co-mingling of such then lets just agree to disagree and call it a day.

Just because someone is an elected or unelected VIP does not give them justification to use tax paid transportation at their leisure (or, more specifically, for their leisure without some kind of commercial equivalent reimbursement).

If you guys are unable to distinguish between personal and business...

When it comes to the sovereign, the governor general, ministers of the Crown, the Chief of the Defence Staff, and other similar figures, there is no such distinction. These people are never really on holiday; they must be available to be called upon at any moment.

Again: Cutting one's vacation short by three days would be considered by most people to be inconvenient.

Sure, maybe it was and maybe it wasn't.

We will never truly know the truth because we're dealing with a politician who has taken a fancy to shuttle service.

That will be his latest story: he was doing something so important that he had to cut his vacation short, poor him, etc... :rolleyes:

But I suppose a photo op to a politician is important so perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh.

Too bad it's got to be 100% on my dime, though.

[W]e're dealing with a politician who has taken a fancy to shuttle service.

That will be his latest story: he was doing something so important that he had to cut his vacation short, poor him, etc... :rolleyes:

But I suppose a photo op to a politician is important so perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh.

We will never truly know the truth.

It seems you think you already do.

It seems you think you already do.

No, I'm clearly expressing my opinion on the matter and have declared where I perceive the weight of the proof lies.

The same as you have done.

------------

Funny thing: I'm going on a business trip pretty soon. I have tacked on an extra day and, as I usually do, I won't deduct that days' hotel cost nor meal costs as I can distinguish between personal and business.

I suppose now I will just deduct it all (and claim the HST for it all - well, subject to the 50% rule for meals and entertainment).

I will put on my receipts: "per Smallc and g_bambino - it's okay to co-mingle personal and business and take a full deduction for business."

What's good for the gander is good for the goose I always say... ;)

The MND's retort

Hon. Peter MacKay (Minister of National Defence, CPC):

Mr. Speaker, the parliamentary program put on by the Canadian Forces every year has the enthusiastic participation of members of Parliament, including members of the opposition.

I note that the member for Abitibi—Témiscamingue took part this year in the program that was put on by the air force. I suspect she may have availed herself of a Canadian Forces asset at that time.

This is a great opportunity for members of Parliament to see first-hand the important, critical, life-saving work that the men and women in uniform perform each and every day on behalf of our country.

So where is the outrage? Ms. Christine Moore can take part in a program with DND flights, but the MND can't?

This is looking weak.......The real issue should be why the press and the NDP aren't voicing their opinions on the crime bill?

Thought I'd beat some people to the punch

Tory Mp uses RCAF C-17s for his own personal charity

:rolleyes:

What I don't get is why do you guys defend this so vehemently?

I mean, what's wrong with questioning our political masters decisions when it comes to taxpayer funded resources?

It seems that the military thought this use of the C-17 was a poor use of resources and maybe it was.

As it does not seem to involve the personal use of taxpayer funded transportation for personal gain by one of our political masters I'm willing to leave it at that for now.