Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans

Actually it is referring to the language. People who don't speak french will not classify themselves as French Canadian.

and some who have french as their first language who don't think of themselves french-canadian...I had friend from NB who certainly didn't think himself as Quebecois or french-canadian he had another term which I've forgotten...and then one of my bro-in-laws whose first language is also french comes from french speaking community in Sask, he thinks of himself as a canadian who happens to speak french...

and some who have french as their first language who don't think of themselves french-canadian...I had friend from NB who certainly didn't think himself as Quebecois or french-canadian he had another term which I've forgotten...and then one of my bro-in-laws whose first language is also french comes from french speaking community in Sask, he thinks of himself as a canadian who happens to speak french...

Good points, can't disagree with you here.

Tell that to the AFRICAN-americans. They african? or American?

The people who today prefer to be called 'African-Americans' demanded that the world use that terminology, at the risk of called RACIST otherwise. There was nothing wrong with "black" when the same people yelled, screeched and shouted that "BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL". They still use "COLORED" in the name of NAACP. They still use "BLACK CAUCUS" in describing African-American members of the United States Congress. (BTW, Republican blacks are NOT welcome). There is still a "BLACK" Miss America, Miss World and Miss Universe. There is BTV as in BLACK Television.

And let us not forget that the word "NEGRO" means black in Spanish.

Why aren't they content just being and being called AMERICANS??

...There is BTV as in BLACK Television.

That's BET....Black Entertainment Television (Viacom) and is available on Bell Canada.

And let us not forget that the word "NEGRO" means black in Spanish.

Why aren't they content just being and being called AMERICANS??

You have answered your own question...the term African-American was self adopted after rejecting historical terms and labels (often racist) provided by the "visible majority" and is consistent with other ethnic hyphenated-American labels.

Sure...just as soon as you stop doing that. America is a bastard child that you say is intellectually inferior, but Americans don't have an identity problem.

Thought we put all the foolishness aside? I admit I was abusive and you have my apology. Guess boredom set in and I picked on a friend...yes I am ashamed and as you know - there are not many people who I enjoy intellectually - you are one of them - so I take the fall for this one...I am truely sorry for being a jerk.

After having a useless tiff with our American corespondent - Bush Cheney...AND after putting out the olive branch - I would at least expect the same in return. Making war is easy - making peace - means putting blind pride aside and doing what is good for both parties. The art of peace is more useful than the art of war. BC - reach out and shake hands. You might be showing America and Canada - that we are a mature and civil society.

....I would at least expect the same in return. Making war is easy - making peace - means putting blind pride aside and doing what is good for both parties. The art of peace is more useful than the art of war. BC - reach out and shake hands. You might be showing America and Canada - that we are a mature and civil society.

Okay...you sure are high maintenance. Apologies all around if it makes you "feel" better. And can we agree that some things are best left private?

Okay...you sure are high maintenance. Apologies all around if it makes you "feel" better. And can we agree that some things are best left private?

That means a lot to me BC. Yes I need to be shown care and love like any other human being - as a kid I would fall through the ice in winter - and stand in frozen clothing by the front window - refusing to come in from the cold - all I expected as a little boy was this "we love you - come in all is forgiven" I was real stuborn and always tested those around me - This insecurity probably came from having a couple of war torn parents - who never had the opportunity or the role model of a parent - My folks both left home early because of war - they were both 14 year old kids at heart - in a sense I was raised by children..that might explain the insecurity.

You and I have a lot of fun and as I mentioned I always enjoyed your clever quips - your tough and pragmatic approach that is highly informative is useful to all. As for privacy...neither has any reason for shame - we just value different things...maybe I have turned into a curmudgeon...anyway - thanks - Better to be friends than fools.

Oh that "feel" better bit - pisses me off...who do yah think you are talking too? A weeping feel good liberal? I don't give a damn about feelings....Yes I do have them - but as some other writer stated , about bayonettes... Kindenss and care are part of my personality - but if need be- I am pretty good with a sword...Did I ever tell you about my dad..He was one of the last to be trained on horse back in the use of a sabre..he showed me a few moves way back when. This does show one point - as far as liberality is concerned and the idea of peace - I firmly belive that a peace maker has to be capable of waging extreme and totally destructive war. One can not hold an olive branch in honor unless one is capable of also holding a sword. You get my drift - now off to take care of my day - seems my brother has drafted me to wage a small campaign .... putting some bureacrats and second rate judicary in their place _ I really thought the war was over...........Now hand me my shield...one more windmill to dismantle.