Atomic Energy Canada Privatized

Now, because of the gov't getting involved in owning businesses over the years, we're in a fascist mess of a country that has a 2 class society; the oppressed private sector worker, and the elite public sector 'worker'.

:) I doubt you even believe this. This is one of the more ridiculous things I've seen recently, and that's no exaggeration.

Hopefully, the wealthy and powerful private industyr--which is unelected, unacountable, and unrepresentative--will rise up and take over the government! Yes?

And you pretend to be decrying fascism? :)

Am I the only one who thinks buying this agency for 15 million while getting the government to promise to spend 100 million finishing develop the Candu 6 reactor so this company can have the patients, and sell the reactors with out taking on any risk, is the sweetest deal ever? I should have found 15 million for this sweet sweet deal the government gave out.

Edited by punked

Stop that! If the pubic pays for something then it belongs to them. YOU can not sell something that does not belong to you..That is abuse and crimminal....Why should I pay all my life a tax to buy and possess a utilty - then someone comes along and gives it to someone who will grow rich on what does not belong to them or what they have not fully invested in?

Stop that! If the pubic pays for something then it belongs to them. YOU can not sell something that does not belong to you..That is abuse and crimminal....Why should I pay all my life a tax to buy and possess a utilty - then someone comes along and gives it to someone who will grow rich on what does not belong to them or what they have not fully invested in?

I'm all for public private crown corporations but outright sale is a no/no. If anything they should offer shares for IPO and limit shares by any single citizen (no sale to corporate entities only citizen individuals)(and limit the sale to only canadian citizens ownership).

Just selling off public assets to the highest bidder is totally backward. The government should retain a majority stake or atleast a veto as part of their ownership.

Stuff like sale of CANDU reactor intellectual property is just sad as now Canada has to license technology it once owned. This as Ontario increasingly looks to nuclear power for its energy needs.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110628/aecl-nuclear-ontario-reactor-subsidy-110628/20110628?hub=TorontoNewHome

Meanwhile people like Hudak oppose wind power. What power is left?

SO the government made some money but now Ontario taxpayers pay more as a result of the sale? And they have to pay more for any new nuclear projects to replace their aging power plants that are being heavily overhauled the last couple years and next few.

Once again it is all the major urban centers that would be effected by the sale of CBC particularly Toronto and Vancouver. Also what happens to FRENCH CBC? Radio Canada? The only National French programing available in Canada.

It gets me that people out west just don't understand the reality of a highly populated region that is much much larger (in population and size) than their biggest city, like 10 times as large. You need nuclear technology out here to maintain, but the plants are all super old (CANDU) stuff.. they need to be updated or replaced. While there are roll outs of new technology, selling off what we need NOW, doesn't help us. Harper needs to clue in to that reality and he was definitely off base with that from what I can tell, the reality of the nuclear power industry in Ontario and its current needs.

Its quite a destructive policy. If they can't manage a company that other companies will buy, then I don't see how they can expect to manage a whole government. The standard set is that thier management is nothing more than to sell out Canada.

How I see this play out is that Ontario basically pays the same amount as SNC Lavalin paid for CANDU Ontario taxpayers get stuck with the bill, and SNC Lavalin gets the future of CANDU IP and assets. Who won there the people or crooks?

Investment in Nuclear technology is long term.

"Ontario is budgeting $26 billion for Nuclear"

http://www.opg.com/power/nuclear/

how much was the sale of CANDU to SNC Lavelin?

$15 million

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SOLD WHEN ONTARIO HAS $26 billion dollars allocated to nuclear projects that they would of pigeonholed.

THEY ARE MORONS OR CROOKS!

OK apparently they gave "exclusive licensing" as opposed to outright sale.

I'm wonder "will cost overruns" and premium markups cost more to Ontario than the Federal Government receives for the royalty cut?

How can over 21 billion dollars of investment get sold for $15 million dollars?

It seems absurd.

Now look at how much money has been poured into CBC all the IP they own... and people are wanting to privatize that? It is nonsense.

Why is it being sold.. because the government is a bunch of morons who can't manage a freaken business nor know how to hire someone to do it so they are embezlling the asset to individuals and corporate bodies.

What we need to do is see how many members of SNC Lavalin are conservative card holders or doners and see if this is indeed an embezzlement of over 20 billion tax payer dollar.

STOP THE EMBEZZLEMENT BY THESE CROOKS!

IT ISN'T EVEN A PUBLIC COMPANY!

Who needs direct cash flows when you can accomplish the same through shares and sale of government assets!

Edited by William Ashley

• 9 months later...
Am I the only one who thinks buying this agency for 15 million while getting the government to promise to spend 100 million finishing develop the Candu 6 reactor so this company can have the patients, and sell the reactors with out taking on any risk, is the sweetest deal ever? I should have found 15 million for this sweet sweet deal the government gave out.

yes... a 2 degrees of Separation sweet deal

I still can't believe we sold Atomic Energy but basically agreed to a deal that made most future debt and projects our responsibility. Why would anyone agree to that?

Why on earth wouldnt they? Flogging public assets and infrastructure helps improve the bottom line NOW while your government is in power and doesnt come back to bite you in the ass until later when its some other governments problem.

As for the public holding the bag for the nuclear industry the only other option is no nuclear industry.

Why on earth wouldnt they? Flogging public assets and infrastructure helps improve the bottom line NOW while your government is in power and doesnt come back to bite you in the ass until later when its some other governments problem.

As for the public holding the bag for the nuclear industry the only other option is no nuclear industry.

The only difference though is the debt is our and the profits is private industries. That can no be a way people want our government to run.

Why would the Harper Conservatives sell ACL to SNC-Lavilin, a corporation presently in the midst of an international corruption scandal?

Why would they involve us in active military action against Libya that went well beyond peacekeeping?

Edited by cybercoma