Manitoba Election 2011

Can Premier Selinger convince the people of Manitoba to let him continue NDP government (unlikely), or will the PCs be able to take back a government that they haven't sat as part of in over a decade (probably)?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think McFayden will probably win given Manitoba's economic performance the past few years? If everyone agrees we're on the right track, we're not likely to change tracks.

And McFayden been totally inept and/or absent as a leader up till now. I don't see how he's going to suddenly pull likeability or confidence out of the bag.

Selinger isn't any more likeable, but he does appear eager and competent.

Edited by BubberMiley

You really think McFayden will probably win given Manitoba's economic performance the past few years?

Yes, I do. I think it's time for a change, even though I don't think that the NDP has generally done a bad job. Of course, McFayden could shoot himself in the foot during an election.

I don't understand the graph either. It's the 47% for the PCs that I was talking about.

The graph is showing how certain those who were polled are of voting in the up coming election by party. 90% of Tories are certain(60%) or somewhat certain(30%) they will be voting, the ndp is at 84%, and the Libs are at 66%

For the Tories to win, they're going to have to knock off quite a few Winnipeg NDPers. And given how Winnipeg made it through the flood stress-free, instead watching Selinger at the press conference to bring back the Jets, makes me think Winnipeg does not have it in for them.

Being an economic island of stability in the recession won't hurt them either.

Being an economic island of stability in the recession won't hurt them either.

That economic stability hasn't continued into the post recession. Also, they'll be lucky to keep much of anything outside of Winnipeg.

Well, the flood is going to cost a lot, but our employment rate is still among the best in Canada.

In terms of outside the city, everything is north of Winnipeg and not going Liberal or PC (except maybe Gimli). For the Tories to win, they have to pretty much sweep south Winnipeg.

I'm not saying that's not possible, but Hugh would have to be a very different candidate than when we last caught sight of him back in 2007.

Well, the flood is going to cost a lot, but our employment rate is still among the best in Canada.

In terms of outside the city, everything is north of Winnipeg and not going Liberal or PC (except maybe Gimli).

The NDP is in very real danger of losing Western Manitoba.

But they never had it.

Swan River? Dauphin? Brandon? The Pas? They didn't have those? Seriously, though, Roseanne Wowchuck quit yesterday, and if Stand Struthers keeps his seat, I'll be surprised.

Edited by Smallc

Swan River? Dauphin? Brandon? The Pas? They didn't have those? Seriously, though, Roseanne Wowchuck quit yesterday, and if Stand Struthers keeps his seat, I'll be surprised.

Brandon East, which they've held forever. I also doubt they'll lose Swan River or The Pas. Dauphin could potentially swing, but it hasn't in a while.

Once the flood compensation cheques start rolling in, people won't be so angry that the NDP allowed it to rain so much.

Edited by BubberMiley

Once the flood compensation cheques start rolling in, people won't be so angry that the NDP allowed it to rain so much.

You don't understand how angry people along lake Manitoba are (in the Swan River and Dauphin ridings). On the lake, this disaster was caused by the Portage Diversion. I'll be surprised if Swan River (I live in this riding) doesn't swing. Brandon could also swing. There's change in the air. I don't necessarily like it, but it's there.

You don't understand how angry people along lake Manitoba are (in the Swan River and Dauphin ridings).

That's because they're tired and frustrated and in the middle of a lengthy flood. But most people understand and accept that the province had no choice but to use the Portage Diversion (and make the Hoop and Holler cut) to minimize overall damage. That is ultimately the kind of leadership in the face of tough decisions that people like to see.

And if the compensation cheques are cut before October, lo and behold, they won't be so angry anymore.

That's because they're tired and frustrated and in the middle of a lengthy flood.

And I don't know if you realize this, but come october, the flood will be far from over. And no, people are not nearly so understanding as you seem to believe. Again, I live here. You don't.

They're not understanding because they haven't witnessed the clarity of a generous compensation cheque. By October, the Conservatives will be running on a platform that the overcompensation was typical NDP spending out of control.

Then how are those people going to vote?

CJOB, the extreme right wing talk radio channel had Sellinger and McFayden debate on thursday morning (or was it friday) The radio station did a poll and about 70% said that Sellinger won... For those results to come in on such a right wing propaganda station, it shows that a lot of Manitobans still think huey is screwy. We would like to keep our Hydro publicly owned, not have it stolen by the Cons like MTS was. Also most of us realize that our public insurance keeps our rates lower than other provinces, and we even get rebates if the insurer makes more money than projected. Why would we want to lose the benefits of these publicly owned services?

You don't understand how angry people along lake Manitoba are (in the Swan River and Dauphin ridings). On the lake, this disaster was caused by the Portage Diversion. I'll be surprised if Swan River (I live in this riding) doesn't swing. Brandon could also swing. There's change in the air. I don't necessarily like it, but it's there.

From what I hear, the Dauphin riding doesn't have a strong PC nominee. I always thought Inky Mark would come back and try to be the MLA for that riding.