$127 Million cut from reservation housing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly goose. Oneida is comprised mostly of wooded valley lands and marshes unsuitable for agriculture.

As I'm sure you know already the Oneida Nation of the Thames in Southwold, Ontario is located just outside of London, Being from London I've been there many times myself.

This link will give you a pretty accurate overview of Southwold, and as you can clearly see fully supports CR's statement as to its unsuitability for agriculture. :rolleyes:

My link

Surplus goods do they have now? Cigarettes?

Fact is, they have plenty of land to grow crops, etc. Shit, look at the size of tiny Israel. They seem to do ok. The abundance of land or lack there of isn't the issue. It's what they're doing with it. Which is pretty much dick all. That shouldn't be taxpayer's problem.

It's time natives stopped sucking on the government tit.

No, no, no, no Shady. You are now backtracking, shirking away from your own assertion codified as 'Shady's Law' remember?

You said that no one is stopping the natives from living like they did 300 years ago, where they practically farmed at will over vast tracts or arable land, hunted at will in vast forests, etc. Now, I introduce that notion into modern terms and all of a sudden there are modern conditions? WTF?

Seems to me that Shady's Law is actually bunk.

Silly goose. Oneida is comprised mostly of wooded valley lands and marshes unsuitable for agriculture. And there is hardly enough space there for the people that live there.

Silly liar. I've been there many times. There's an incredible amount of good land to farm. You're a lying liar.

As I'm sure you know already the Oneida Nation of the Thames in Southwold, Ontario is located just outside of London, Being from London I've been there many times myself.

This link will give you a pretty accurate overview of Southwold, and as you can clearly see fully supports CR's statement as to its unsuitability for agriculture. :rolleyes:

My link

You're joking right? The soil quality there is very high quality. There's plenty of land that's perfectly suitable for farming.

Silly liar. I've been there many times. There's an incredible amount of good land to farm. You're a lying liar.

Ah, anecdotal information about one of your "many times." Surely the same sort of reasoning used in the now infamous Shady's Law.

Do you have any land-use statistics for the Oneida Settlement Shady? Or are you going to just eyeball this one too?

You're joking right? The soil quality there is very high quality. There's plenty of land that's perfectly suitable for farming.

Ummmm Shady, did you actually bother clicking on the link I provided? If you did and read the first sentence I imagine you would get the point I was making. The emoticon I used might also be construed as a clue.

Ummmm Shady, did you actually bother clicking on the link I provided? If you did and read the first sentence I imagine you would get the point I was making. The emoticon I used might also be construed as a clue.

No, he just eye-balled your post. LOFL! :lol:

It's disgusting!

No, he just eye-balled your post. LOFL! :lol:

It's disgusting!

Well I have to admit that he didn't appear to actually look at and think about what I posted, otherwise he would have understood exactly the point I was making.

In his defense though he is correct. The reserve sits on and is surrounded by prime well worked farm land. It's a really nice area, lots of gently rolling hills, very few densly wooded patches and very fertile healthy crops during the growing season.

While Southwold might be "a rich agricultural zone" the reserve isn't. It is sitting on predominantly wooded valley lands, marsh and scrub.

While Southwold might be "a rich agricultural zone" the reserve isn't. It is sitting on predominantly wooded valley lands, marsh and scrub.

Wooded yes, marsh and scrub no. But what's your point? That sometimes land needs to be cleared before farming? Seriously, there's people around the world that grow crops in the desert. And you're trying to portray this as the poor poor natives, on unbelievably good farmland, that might need to be worked a bit beforehand. Pathetic.

Whenever I stop in during the summer to gas up I usually run into Natives at the station. Quite a few of them are usually driving their work vehicles, that is tractors, combines, you know, that kind of thing. Southwold is heavily cleared for farming, it's some of the best land in Ontario. Very few woods remain and as for rocky land, nope, its London area. Anyone who has ever been to London knows what that part of Ontario is like. It consists of some of the best farm land in the world. This is a fact that cannot be disputed by any amount of mental gymnastics.

You do know the reserve is located in Southwold county, right?

This thread is a great read for anyone like me who knows a little but not enough about these issues. Posts capture a variety of common perceptions of Canadians and some misperceptions, and CR's knowledge and ability to respond informatively are helpful. More Canadians should have access to such discussions to understand what our governments don't tell us. I wonder why the media don't do more to inform us.

Thanks for the education.

Do they pay taxes on that profit?

Completely tax free. However, those profits go into goods and services - much of it paid to off-reserve retailers - so it is a net economic benefit to not only the First Nations, but also the surrounding communities. I mean...$65 million buys a lot of Nikes, GMCs and dry cleaning....

Completely tax free. However, those profits go into goods and services - much of it paid to off-reserve retailers - so it is a net economic benefit to not only the First Nations, but also the surrounding communities. I mean...$65 million buys a lot of Nikes, GMCs and dry cleaning....

That's ok that it's tax free. We'll just subtract their tax free earnings over the last couple hundred years, as well as the hundreds of millions of dollars they've received each year over the last couple hundred years, as well as their share of the cost of the use of social services and roads over the past couple hundred years from any monies that the government owes them.

Try one, just one.

I visit many of the reserves in southern Ontario and have frequented quite a few in northern Ontario. Most of them are on rock or marsh, neither one suitable for sustainable agriculture.

Do YOU know ANYTHING about farming?

Don't forget, some of the land, like around Oshweken, has been poisoned by decades of clandestine industrial dumping. The real tragedy when it comes to land claims disputes, such as along the Grand River, is that taking the quiet road of going through the courts and talking to the politicians went nowhere, and weren't even considered newsworthy by local media. Until the road blocks went up, and a local developer in Caledonia had his new subdivision occupied, it wasn't a news story, and many people who moved to Caledonia in recent years, didn't know anything about the history, and the chance that they could be stuck in the middle of it.