NDP Shadow Cabinet Discussion

Jack Layton has announced his shadow cabinet.

http://www.ndp.ca/shadow-cabinet

(Hon.) Jack Layton

Leader of the Official Opposition

Libby Davies

Health

Deputy Leader

Tom Mulcair

House of Commons Opposition House Leader

Deputy Leader

Malcolm Allen

Agriculture and Agri-Food

Charlie Angus

Ethics, Access to Information, Privacy & Copyright and Digital Issues

Robert Aubin

La Francophonie

Paulina Ayala

Americas and Consular Affairs (Minister of State)

Tyrone Benskin

Canadian Heritage

Francoise Boivin

Status of Women

Alexandre Boulerice

Treasury Board

Marjolaine Boutin-Sweet

Skills (Human Resources and Skills Development)

Robert Chisholm

International Trade

Olivia Chow

Transport, Infrastructure and Communities

Dave Christopherson

Democratic Reform (Minster of State)

Joe Comartin

Justice

Raymond Côté

Small Business and Tourism (Minister of State)

Jean Crowder

Human Resources and Skills Development

Don Davies

Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism

Paul Dewar

Foreign Affairs

Fin Donnelly

Fisheries and Oceans

Linda Duncan

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development

Yvon Godin

Labour

Official Languages

Jack Harris

National Defence

Peter Julian

Industry

Deputy National Caucus Chair

Hélène Laverdière

International Cooperation

Hélène Leblanc

Science and Technology (Minister of State)

Megan Leslie

Environment

Hoang Mai

National Revenue

Wayne Marston

Pensions (Minister of State)

Pat Martin

Canadian Wheat Board

Irene Mathyssen

Seniors (Minister of State)

Christine Moore

Military Procurement (Associate Minister of National Defence)

Marie-Claude Morin

Housing (Human Resources and Skills Development)

Pierre Nantel

Sport (Minister of State)

Peggy Nash

Finance

Claude Patry

Employment Insurance (Human Resources and Skills Development)

Manon Perreault

Disabilities (Human Resources and Skills Development)

Romeo Saganash

Natural Resources

Jasbir Sandhu

Public Safety

Rathika Sitsabaiesan

Post-secondary Education (Human Resources and Skills Development)

Peter Stoffer

Veterans Affairs

Glenn Thibeault

Consumer Protection (Industry)

Nycole Turmel

Public Works and Government Services

National Caucus Chair

As predicted, a bunch of un-qualified, poorly educated nobodies who know next to nothing about the portfolios they're shadowing.

Alexandre Boulerice for the treasury board? I dare anyone to find out what his educational and professional background is.

Robert Chisholm for International Trade? He's done nothing but work for Unions. Given his background, has the NDP decided that international trade is bad??

We already know Tom Mulcair is a total wingnut given his Osama comments.

My personal favourite, however, is Peter Julian, shadowing the Industry Minister. Last time I checked, his resumé included such profound experience as: General Labourer, Political Activist...period.

Bravo NDP. This is going to get REALLY funny over the next 4 years.

Jack still can't decide if he wants to have a Quebecker or a female deputy leader. When questioned today about certain critic roles he left out, that he had last time, and about certain MPs he said that he's not done announcing his critics.

As pundits have said it's quite possible that the Liberals will be seen as the real opposition over the next four years, their party may be small but they have well experienced MPs and just all around more talent.

Robert Chisholm for International Trade? He's done nothing but work for Unions. Given his background, has the NDP decided that international trade is bad??

You win Stupidest statement of the day. Robert Chisholm worked for the people of Nova Scotia for way longer then he has worked anywhere else. I am sure a man who took the NDP from 3 seats to 50 votes away from forming government in 5 years, and who took out an entrenched incumbent will be smart enough to figure out international trade although if you want to argue his resume I am sure we could. I am also sure in the end you will look like a dummy for dumb statement.

As pundits have said it's quite possible that the Liberals will be seen as the real opposition over the next four years, their party may be small but they have well experienced MPs and just all around more talent.

Which pundits have said this? Not only do the Liberals have just under 1/3 as many seats as the NDP but they don't even have a leader yet. They may still have an interim leader for a couple of years. By their own admission, the whole party is trying to figure out what it is they even stand for. Even in the previous Parliament, they were a thoroughly ineffectual Opposition.

Which pundits have said this? Not only do the Liberals have just under 1/3 as many seats as the NDP but they don't even have a leader yet. They may still have an interim leader for a couple of years. By their own admission, the whole party is trying to figure out what it is they even stand for. Even in the previous Parliament, they were a thoroughly ineffectual Opposition.

Don't pay attention to Posc Student so far he has been wrong about everything he has said. Honestly the guy is wrong 90% of the time about everything. He is a true Liberal.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that Brian Masse isn't on that list. He was an effective Industry critic.

I was also surprised by this, given how long he has served the NDP in Parliament. With so many more MPs, perhaps it just came down to choosing between Joe and Brian. It's unfortunate, though, with how long Masse has been there. Maybe, if the rumour above is correct about Layton not being done picking critics, he'll have a role somewhere else.

Perhaps but it would surprise me. He's been a high-profile, well-respected member of the NDP's shadow cabinet since 2004.

I was under the impression that "shadow cabinet" was an official function for members of the official opposition with a budget and staff, unlike NDP members who were wandering in the wilderness till May 2. Is this not the case?

As predicted, a bunch of un-qualified, poorly educated nobodies who know next to nothing about the portfolios they're shadowing.

Bravo NDP. This is going to get REALLY funny over the next 4 years.

lol.... Luckily they are facing the bench strenght of the CPC and have to deal with such winners as Bev Oda and Diane Finley.... etc..

I was under the impression that "shadow cabinet" was an official function for members of the official opposition with a budget and staff, unlike NDP members who were wandering in the wilderness till May 2. Is this not the case?

I think you're right. Masse has been an official NDP critic of important ministries since 2004 and has participated in important committees and in the all-party Border Caucus.

I think you're right. Masse has been an official NDP critic of important ministries since 2004 and has participated in important committees and in the all-party Border Caucus.

Michigan has just agreed to the new bridge over the Detroit River that Canadians will own. Michigan can't afford much money so Canada is suppose collect the tolls. So IF the tolls go down because of low traffic, how long will it take to get our money back. Remember this is the same government th let the lumber industry in the US keep a billion dollars.

Would the inclusion of Olivia Chow be nepotism? Or, is Jack subsidizing his off-shore accounts? B)

Well qualified, Female, Minority, astounding political experience- (councilperson in Toronto, MP,) Wife of party leader. She could be one of the most qualified NDP MPs-- next deputy party leader, Who did you expect, the knockout dancer from Vegas? (or is she back again?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well qualified, Female, Minority, astounding political experience- (councilperson in Toronto, MP,) Wife of party leader. She could be one of the most qualified NDP MPs-- next deputy party leader, Who did you expect, the knockout dancer from Vegas? (or is she back again?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Libby is the one.

• 2 weeks later...