RCMP officers to be charged with perjury

While some will probably say this is kind of like busting Al Capone for tax evasion, this is nevertheless a welcome development.

VANCOUVER — The four Mounties who confronted Robert Dziekanski at Vancouver's airport and repeatedly stunned him with a Taser, later telling a public inquiry they were afraid the Polish immigrant was about to attack them with a stapler, are facing perjury charges

But Richard Peck, the special prosecutor appointed to re-examine the case, did not recommend charges relating to Dziekanski's death in October 2007, B.C.'s criminal justice branch announced Friday.

"Mr. Peck has concluded that there is no substantial likelihood of conviction in relation to any potential charges arising from the circumstances of the physical altercation with Mr. Dziekanski or the subsequent investigation into his death," said a statement from the branch.

Instead, Peck recommended the perjury charges, and the branch said it accepted that recommendation. The branch plans to proceed on the charges through direct indictment, skipping a preliminary inquiry, the news release said.

The four officers facing charges are Const. Bill Bentley, Const. Kwesi Millington, Const. Gerry Rundell and Cpl. Benjamin Robinson.

Canada Press: RCMP in taser death to be charged with perjury

Yo, Kwesi. Wassup, homie?

You going to court, Kwesi.

Good luck with that lawsuit, Kwesi. If you win, you can use the money to buy smokes in prison.

They like cops in prison, Kwesi. You better buy some lube too.

Later, homie.

-k

While some will probably say this is kind of like busting Al Capone for tax evasion, this is nevertheless a welcome development.
I don't know if your Capone comparison is apt. It seems to me that if the RCMP officers were charged and convicted (of let's say manslaughter), then fellow RCMP officers would simply be more careful when using tasers. If charged and convicted of perjury however, the court case will have far greater repercussions. Fellow officers will think twice in the future before presenting testimony in any case.

If charged and convicted of perjury however, the court case will have far greater repercussions. Fellow officers will think twice in the future before presenting testimony in any case.

You mean they might be encouraged to tell the truth when testifying in court? :blink:

I don't know if your Capone comparison is apt. It seems to me that if the RCMP officers were charged and convicted (of let's say manslaughter), then fellow RCMP officers would simply be more careful when using tasers. If charged and convicted of perjury however, the court case will have far greater repercussions. Fellow officers will think twice in the future before presenting testimony in any case.

The message that would be sent is... don't lie to the judge, yes?

These guys stood in front of a judicial inquiry and gave testimony that is absolutely impossible to reconcile with the evidence that came to light.

Spend a moment to think about what message would be sent if they *aren't* charged with perjury.

I don't know if you appreciate how disgusted people in BC have become with RCMP conduct, August. There's a growing movement afoot to not renew the province's contract with the RCMP, and it's nothing to do with a "firewall agenda".

-k

The message that would be sent is... don't lie to the judge, yes?

These guys stood in front of a judicial inquiry and gave testimony that is absolutely impossible to reconcile with the evidence that came to light.

Spend a moment to think about what message would be sent if they *aren't* charged with perjury.

I don't know if you appreciate how disgusted people in BC have become with RCMP conduct, August. There's a growing movement afoot to not renew the province's contract with the RCMP, and it's nothing to do with a "firewall agenda".

-k

I'm waiting for charges under the police act for falsifying their official reports. That's a firing offense no matter what the court finds about perjury.

• 4 years later...