Who will be leading the Liberals now?

The Liberals will have an easier time rebuilding under a Conservative majority government.

You can't see that the voters do NOT like the Liberals anymore? Look at their formeer leaders: Trudeau; Chretien. Arrogant bastards. So is Ignatieff. So is young Trudeau.

You can't see that the voters do NOT like the Liberals anymore? Look at their formeer leaders: Trudeau; Chretien. Arrogant bastards. So is Ignatieff. So is young Trudeau.

All politicians are arrogant. Iggy's problem wasn't arrogance, it was, so far as I can see, a chronic inability to connect with Canadians. He was a bright guy, but he isn't a politician.

But I'm thinking about this. I wonder if anyone could have kept the Liberals' heads afloat.

The "plenty of time" thing is kind of key. With the minority situation, they've been in a cycle of trying to pick a leader, build his reputation, and build the brand in the space of months because the next election (and the next wave of attack ads) were always just around the corner.

Now Jack Layton will be the guy in the spotlight, the Liberals are kind of on the sidelines for 4+ years, and they need it.

One quibble I have. People keep referencing the 1993 election and saying "well, the PCs were down to 2 seats, and they came back..." But the PCs never really came back. They stumbled along on their own for a few years, but they "came back" only by merging with a larger party with a base in parts of the country they were no longer viable in.

-k

Yep, when the dust settled in the 1993 election, the PC's were effectively done forever.

Yep, when the dust settled in the 1993 election, the PC's were effectively done forever.

Wow I can't believe that Shwa and I are the only ones here to see that McGuinty is soley responsible for the liberal stager

Dalton has become to the liberals what Rae was to the NDP in the 90's,literally!

This party will never get it right if it can never see the faults that need to be corrected.

The word here is called "misdiagnose"

Good luck!

WWWTT

Bob is a powerhouse! Not many guys have the power to kill 2 parties....

Hopefully after that, Ontarians (specifically those that still voted for the Liberals) realize that the problem in the early 90s was not the NDP. The problem was Bob Rae.

Then they can realize that it's their fault that the Conservatives got a majority.

Wow I can't believe that Shwa and I are the only ones here to see that McGuinty is soley responsible for the liberal stager

Where did I say that Premier McGuinty is soley responsible for the liberal stager (sic)?

He hasn't helped, but solely responsible?? I dun think so...

IMO Dominic Leblanc is the only choice. Rae is done, justin is a joke, corrderre will never get a vote outside of quebec, hung out with to many terrorist types.

IMO Dominic Leblanc is the only choice. Rae is done, justin is a joke, corrderre will never get a vote outside of quebec, hung out with to many terrorist types.

The sad part is there is no one exciting for the Liberals. Everyone pretty much provides a "meh" response to Canadians outside of core historical Liberal supporters.

This is even more sad when you consider that the NDP already has an extremely strong leader-in-waiting with Mulcair.

Edited by nittanylionstorm07

The sad part is there is no one exciting for the Liberals. Everyone pretty much provides a "meh" response to Canadians outside of core historical Liberal supporters.

This is even more sad when you consider that the NDP already has an extremely strong leader-in-waiting with Mulcair.

From what I've seen of Dominic LeBlanc I think he could win over people once they get to know him. He's a smart guy, from I've seen he's not overly charasmatic, none of the leaders really are, but he has a personality and he was honest in 2008 about the trouble the party was in. The fact that he is not well known may also be a good thing for him.

It will be Leblanc. Quebec, now that the BQ's hold has been broken, has enormous potential for the Liberals. They will focus their efforts there. The NDP have nothing even remotely like a solid hold on all those seats they got. The enthusiasm for them will fade, and if the Liberals show up in four years with a sensible, Quebec oriented platform and a personable French Quebec leader they will get dozens of them back. Popularity in Quebec has always carried a caveat with Ontario, and so it will help them there, too. They might not build all the way up to a new government, but they'll come out respectable, doubling their seat count, if not more.

I'm about as far from a Rae fan as can be, but being a westerner, I also don't have the hate or the scorn some on this forum show as he hasn't really affected me that much. But I am suspicious of an NDP'er going to the Liberals. For some reason, more so than a Liberal going to the NDP.

His speech last night as shown on CBC was pretty well done. But a bit of "Yes, Iggy is done, now it's my chance!" sort of peeked out from behind the melodious sounds he was making. Sort of got a bit of power hungry snake impression out of it.

Where did I say that Premier McGuinty is soley responsible for the liberal stager (sic)?

He hasn't helped, but solely responsible?? I dun think so...

Sorry I thought you had suggested that.

Then I am the only one here to see this!

Good for me!

WWWTT

Bob is a powerhouse! Not many guys have the power to kill 2 parties....

Actually if the liberal party had Bob at the healm and not Ignatieff they would have done a little better(in my opinion)

But still not enough to overcome the McGuinty affect!

WWWTT

Is Stephen Harper exciting?

How about somebody that does the job well? Somebody who leads based on ideology rather than strategic positioning with no other purpose besides getting elected? How about somebody that doesn't sound like a used car salesmen trying to pitch something even he doesn't believe.

Ignatieff was kind of exciting, inspiring he was not.

Actually if the liberal party had Bob at the healm and not Ignatieff they would have done a little better(in my opinion)

But still not enough to overcome the McGuinty affect!

WWWTT

The Ontario Liberals are still in the mid to high 30's in support, Ignatieff would have loved to get a number that big last night.

The Ontario Liberals are still in the mid to high 30's in support, Ignatieff would have loved to get a number that big last night.

Wow I haven't looked at any Ontario numbers yet.

I somehow find it hard to believe(HST and G20 police power) but I guess we will see in the next few months since the Ontario election will be the next slugfest coming up in Canadian politics.

WWWTT

I agree - Justin is a joke. Just about every commentary I've read labels him as a "light weight".

He was a drama teacher prior to his father's death and iirc it was only because of the eulogy he delivered at his father's funeral that caused all the liberals to be in awe and give him visions of grandeur and thus a move across the Country to become an MP.

Who knows what will happen in 4 yrs though. He might inspire the younger vote.

I agree - Justin is a joke. Just about every commentary I've read labels him as a "light weight".

He was a drama teacher prior to his father's death and iirc it was only because of the eulogy he delivered at his father's funeral that caused all the liberals to be in awe and give him visions of grandeur and thus a move across the Country to become an MP.

Who knows what will happen in 4 yrs though. He might inspire the younger vote.

I couldn't believe the interview he gave last night, what a jackass. Anything that I may have thought about him before, and it wasn't alot, was diminished after listening to him talk of celebrating. I think he may have been half in the bag actually.