Prime Minister Rae

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I was referring to as the "social contract". My understanding of Rae Days has always been that they were mandatory days of unpaid leave for public servants who made over $30k, with the specific intention of cutting costs without laying people off.

I hope the Liberals never try to distinguish between a "layoff" and "mandatory days of unpaid leave".

What the Liberals do not need is an old-timer as a new leader. Rae belongs to the dinosaurs - John McCallum, Anita Neville, Marlene Jennings, Ralph Goodale etc. If they have to ditch Iggy, which seems likely, at least put a new face in there, not someone from another era.

I hope the Liberals never try to distinguish between a "layoff" and "mandatory days of unpaid leave".

Surely you can see a difference between keeping your job with fewer hours and losing your job altogether?

What the Liberals do not need is an old-timer as a new leader. Rae belongs to the dinosaurs - John McCallum, Anita Neville, Marlene Jennings, Ralph Goodale etc. If they have to ditch Iggy, which seems likely, at least put a new face in there, not someone from another era.

I think I actually agree with you here.

Surely you can see a difference between keeping your job with fewer hours and losing your job altogether?

That's an issue that has received a lot of debate in the labor movement - do you put a lot of people on part-time work or layoff junior employees? I don't think there is a right answer.

Then he didn't run it like a federal Liberal. He also said he learned much from his experience in Ontario, which was the next thing to a no win scenario.

Pierre Trudeau (a Liberal) was the worst fiscal manager the country has ever seen and the numbers (facts) support that easily. Bob Rae was the worst fiscal manager Ontario ever had. It seems fitting where Bob Rae is now.

I think I actually agree with you here.

Star, you can pile up excuses for Rae till the cows come home and it just doesn't matter! They can all be TRUE and it still doesn't matter!

Ontarioans overwhelmingly despise Bob Rae for his term in provincial power. It would be easier to get Mulroney voted back in as PM! They don't care to even listen to any excuses. They wrote him and his party off long ago.

Both Bob Rae and the NDP are going nowhere in Ontario for a long time, long enough for all the people who were around then to die off, leaving younger folks with no bad memories.

As I said, it doesn't matter if your excuses are true. It's just the way it is. Period and end of story.

Star, you can pile up excuses for Rae till the cows come home and it just doesn't matter! They can all be TRUE and it still doesn't matter!

Ontarioans overwhelmingly despise Bob Rae for his term in provincial power. It would be easier to get Mulroney voted back in as PM! They don't care to even listen to any excuses. They wrote him and his party off long ago.

Both Bob Rae and the NDP are going nowhere in Ontario for a long time, long enough for all the people who were around then to die off, leaving younger folks with no bad memories.

As I said, it doesn't matter if your excuses are true. It's just the way it is. Period and end of story.

Ya end of story until I start to get in on this one wild.

No more last word for you buddy.

The gloves are off now buddy!

Man your going to be turning when Jack and the NDP start getting into power after this next election.

The best you can hope for is a deep recesion so you can easily blame Jack.Anything short of that and you aren't going to convince anyone here of anything.

Good luck Wild

WWWTT

I didn't realize we were still in the 20th century, let alone the 70's and 80's. Do you remember some people with the last names Chretien and Martin? Because that's the way modern federal Liberal have run things.

Chretien was a crooked bum who cared about nothing but himself. Martin, out of Chretien's shadow, was a spendthrift.

I'm sorry, but the federal Liberal party of the recent past is probably THE best example of fiscal prudence in the modern world.

I never got the idea they were being fiscally prudent because they cared about fiscal prudence. Chretien simply saw no reason to address any of the problems of the country given the disunity among the opposition and his huge poll leads. Liberals spend money to buy votes. They didn't feel the need to buy votes until the right wing parties merged. Then you saw an entirely different Liberal party. You saw massive spending, and plans for more massive spending.

It's a sad reflection on the Liberal party that Bob Rae seems to be the frontrunner to replace Iggy.

Rae is not going to replace Iggy. By their constitution, the Liberals must select a Francophone for their next leader.

Really pisses you off being the lost generation, eh? Our parents/grandparents have leeched us dry.

The boomers were the most fiscally selfish and irresponsible generation this country has ever seen.

You know, when the boomers were born, their parents paid for a lavish building boom in schools. When the boomers had children they said "I'm not paying for new schools! Stick em in portables!".

They also wanted all kinds of goodies, but didn't want to pay for them. Trudeau told them they didn't need to worry, doubling spending, then doubling it again, and building up the huge debt we'll be paying off for generations.

Edited by Scotty

Pierre Trudeau (a Liberal) was the worst fiscal manager the country has ever seen and the numbers (facts) support that easily. Bob Rae was the worst fiscal manager Ontario ever had. It seems fitting where Bob Rae is now.

Bob Rae WAS the worst, but he has been easily surpassed by Dalton McGuinty.

I never got the idea they were being fiscally prudent because they cared about fiscal prudence. Chretien simply saw no reason to address any of the problems of the country given the disunity among the opposition and his huge poll leads. Liberals spend money to buy votes. They didn't feel the need to buy votes until the right wing parties merged. Then you saw an entirely different Liberal party. You saw massive spending, and plans for more massive spending.

I'd spin it differently than you but I always understood that the change in policy from 2004-2006 had to do with the fact that the NDP's support was needed to support the LPC minority.