AG Draft Report: G8 Funding Lacked Transparency

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the smoking gun, here.

Instead, I see the following:Toronto Star

IOW, the opposition deliberately leaked this draft report in the midst of a campaign to achieve maximum harm to teh government.

This is just politics as usual, and will be seen that way among potentially swing voters.

Even the AG said so:

----

I would not be surprised to see more "leaks" from the Ottawa bureaucracy as we get closer to the election. Some of these people really hate Harper and the Conservatives.

Not only that - but the opposition deliberately leaked THIS VERSION of the report. Unless it was stolen, the "leaker" had to have access to subsequent drafts but chose to "leak" this one to create the most damage. Someone will be in deep trouble.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Not only that - but the opposition deliberately leaked THIS VERSION of the report. Unless it was stolen, the "leaker" had to have access to subsequent drafts but chose to "leak" this one to create the most damage. Someone will be in deep trouble.

Wrong, there are 2 people in trouble. The one you mentioned, and the source of the february draft that fife reported on.

I find it funny that the media is still saying allegations of illegality and misleading parliament when document number 2 clearly busts that myth.

It still isn't good news.

What that money was spent stupidly?

Everybody knows that. The federal govt does that on a regular basis.

Kevin o'leary makes an interesting point: During the g8/g20 summit, canada's brand around the world shot up in value. Was that not worth the money? Hell politicians blow a billion here and there on less.

On the other hand, it seems that the AG report confirms that at least 95% of budget for the summit(s) were properly spent. Which destoys long time opposition cries over "huge ovespendings on tthe event". Remember "a billion dollar for two-day meeting"? AG says now "Yes, the meeting must cost that much!"

Th second report makes it much harder to sell as a big deal. As someone else said, most of the money was spent just fine, and there is no longer an allegation of criminality. This may not be the big deal that I thought it was. It's still a bit of a deal to me, especially the hypocrisy of Conservative supporters...and the lie about the praise that they said the AG gave them.

Edited by Smallc

Th second report makes it much harder to sell as a big deal. As someone else said, most of the money was spent just fine, and there is no longer an allegation of criminality. This may not be the big deal that I thought it was. It's still a bit of a deal to me, especially the hypocrisy of Conservative supporters...and the lie about the praise that they said the AG gave them.

There still are a couple of big deals, and that's who illegally leaked the AGs draft documents, and more critically how the media "coincidentally" releases it the day before the debate.

It was an orchestrated "lets get the Conservative" moment. Anyone who still thinks there is not a very serious Liberal bias in the Canadian media is completely stupid.

...and the lie about the praise that they said the AG gave them.

Stockwell Day moved pretty quickly to put that fire out. In addition to contacting the AG posthaste and apologizing profusely, he is working with other House leaders to have the Parliamentary record amended to remove the quote attributed to her. But I expect this will have legs for a couple more days.

There still are a couple of big deals, and that's who illegally leaked the AGs draft documents, and more critically how the media "coincidentally" releases it the day before the debate.

It was an orchestrated "lets get the Conservative" moment. Anyone who still thinks there is not a very serious Liberal bias in the Canadian media is completely stupid.

Hilarious, One word, Goodale. Where was your outrage then?

Conspiracy theory to disavow any responsibility of the people you vote for. Most people call it denial.

What I personally don't understand is the sheer stupidity of passing off a AG report about the previous government as if it was praise for your own. Is it so inconceivable to the people running our country that something like this is REALLY easy to find? That the media would've found out about this once the actual report was released? It's one thing to not comment, but it's another thing to forge a phony document to make you look better so you have a better chance to hang onto power. Mind boggling.

Conspiracy theory to disavow any responsibility of the people you vote for. Most people call it denial.

What I personally don't understand is the sheer stupidity of passing off a AG report about the previous government as if it was praise for your own. Is it so inconceivable to the people running our country that something like this is REALLY easy to find? That the media would've found out about this once the actual report was released? It's one thing to not comment, but it's another thing to forge a phony document to make you look better so you have a better chance to hang onto power. Mind boggling.

Speaking of stupid, what forged phony document? The february draft that robert fife got a hold of? If it was forged wouldn't either fife or the auditor general have something to say about that?

Stupid is as stupid does

Claiming a misquote as a forgery. There's a difference in being wrong and forgery.

So what you're saying is that the government misquoted the AG on this? See, that would fly if it wasn't for the fact that the AG is saying the quote is ripped from a previous report about a previous government. So you're really making the argument that the fact that it's exactly the same as a previous report is merely a coincidence?

Taking a previous report about a previous government and ripping nice comments and then passing it off as it's going to actually be in this report is in fact forgery.

I think that's more likely. Someone in the war room probably thought that no one would notice.

It was a report tabled in parliament. This went above the war room. Which goes back to my original question? I mean these guys pulled a LOT of stuff but this is BEYOND stupid. Did they really expect people wouldn't notice?