The Atlantica Party Alternative Budget 2011

NS just had a budget surplus I believe it was 455 million dollars. Good try.

I was going by a newspaper article I read a few months back stating that they (can't remeber who they was)estimated Newfoundland and Sask. were the only two provinces that were going to have surpluses, but if that article is wrong and NS also had a surplus, well... good for NS.

I was going by a newspaper article I read a few months back stating that they (can't remeber who they was)estimated Newfoundland and Sask. were the only two provinces that were going to have surpluses, but if that article is wrong and NS also had a surplus, well... good for NS.

Yeah they did

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/9020462.html

But don't worry the Atlantic party will swoop in Magically cut a billion dollars from the budget and make sure we never have a surplus or a population there ever again.

Edited by punked

Actually the population has increased since 2008 by 3000; a small increase; but an increase nevertheless.

Annual Population - Canada, Provinces and Territories; 1971-2010

At current, Newfoundland and Labrador has negative growth. I don't have the numbers in front of me, they're from another forum.

By 2026 Nova Scotia's population is expected to shrink by about 5% according to a study by Dalhousie University

Not surprising at all. International immigrants don't got to Atlantic Canada, and those who do don't stay.

Lack of Prosperity?

Are you insane?

Sure the more rural areas of Nova Scotia aren't exactly booming.

But I'd say Halifax is doing VERY VERY well in these times.

Halifax is supposedly booming but it's not showing up in the province's gdp growth at all. If Halifax is doing "VERY VERY well" then the state of the rest of the province is VERY VERY bad.

NS just had a budget surplus I believe it was 455 million dollars. Good try.

The NDP raised taxes in Nova Scotia, which seems to be the reason for the surplus. I also heard something about how they didn't include the 2010/2011 university funding in the budget because they put it in their first budget. The governmenr is also back in deficits for the coming year.

Newfoundland and Labrador's government cut taxes, and I think Saskatchwan's may have too, and both are running surpluses.

Halifax is supposedly booming but it's not showing up in the province's gdp growth at all. If Halifax is doing "VERY VERY well" then the state of the rest of the province is VERY VERY bad.

The NDP raised taxes in Nova Scotia, which seems to be the reason for the surplus. I also heard something about how they didn't include the 2010/2011 university funding in the budget because they put it in their first budget. The governmenr is also back in deficits for the coming year.

Newfoundland and Labrador's government cut taxes, and I think Saskatchwan's may have too, and both are running surpluses.

Did you hear the NDP cut business taxes in the budget? No well probably because you are a liberal shill.

You like it when Big Brother hands out checks eh?

I like when a progressive government gives back taxes collected by those who are under the poverty line. I know you would rather have them starve. I should right now I'm not in NS and I don't get checks I just wanted to point out the HST was raised but so was the money given back to those living under a certain level.

I like when a progressive government gives back taxes collected by those who are under the poverty line. I know you would rather have them starve. I should right now I'm not in NS and I don't get checks I just wanted to point out the HST was raised but so was the money given back to those living under a certain level.

Are those under the poverty line any better off though? The government gives them back so much money but their taxes were still raised.

Are those under the poverty line any better off though? The government gives them back so much money but their taxes were still raised.

No they weren't because the government gives them back more then they pay in GST for the whole year on average their taxes were cut. You clearly don't live in NS if that is what you believe or maybe you are just a terrible poli Sci student if you think that.

No they weren't because the government gives them back more then they pay in GST for the whole year on average their taxes were cut. You clearly don't live in NS if that is what you believe or maybe you are just a terrible poli Sci student if you think that.

I don't live in Nova Scotia, thank god. Nova Scotia now has the highest taxes in the country, one of the highest tuition rates and what do you get out of it?

I don't live in Nova Scotia, thank god. Nova Scotia now has the highest taxes in the country, one of the highest tuition rates and what do you get out of it?

Wrong again. PEI has the highest taxes in the country. Might also interest you to know when the NDP took over NS had the highest debt per capita in the country by the time their term is up both NB and PEI will surpass them. Why? Well NS has an NDP government and NB and PEI have Liberals and Conservatives in power.

Wrong again. PEI has the highest taxes in the country. Might also interest you to know when the NDP took over NS had the highest debt per capita in the country by the time their term is up both NB and PEI will surpass them. Why? Well NS has an NDP government and NB and PEI have Liberals and Conservatives in power.

That is debatable...on the lower end, PEI is higher, on the higher end, NS is higher. I know a couple, doctors, who left Truro for Ottawa for that reason

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

That is debatable...on the lower end, PEI is higher, on the higher end, NS is higher. I know a couple, doctors, who left Truro for Ottawa for that reason

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Regardless the problem in both NS, PEI, and NB is the same to much debt. 1 in every 9 tax dollars in NS goes to just servicing the debt not even bringing it down. This is why the tax is high the only to change that is to pay it off which the NS NDP did this year one of only 7 times in the last 50 years this has been done. Meaning the NS NDP budgets 50% of them have paid down the debt. Once that debt is manageable then comes the time to talk about what to do with that extra revenue. Tax cuts, education etc. mean nothing if all the money goes on the debt and this is what the NS NDP have said for the last 3 years. I agree.