Liberal $1B learning passport program

Perhaps,in your mind,you'd prefer privately operated prisons like they have in the US??

I find it distasteful,but...Incarceration for profit???

You prefer incarceration at a loss? I think it's disgraceful that we keep thousands of healthy people sitting around on their arses instead of working them to make back the money we spend keeping them in jail. Start up some factories and make work mandatory. No work, you get the most banal of food, no computer, no books, no nothing.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the skills in short supply are tradesmen. We are not short of engineers, we're short of electricians. We're not short on geologists.

Maybe not where you are, but here, where there's a mining and construction boom, we're short of eveything.

Edited by Smallc

Great idea to start out. I think it should be expanded to things like trade training as well, but this is definitely a good start. I just got out of school so I understand TBs frustration that it wasn't available sooner. However, I know what students go through to get that cash and even at just 4 grand, it's definitely welcome. There is no better investment for society in terms of social problems and the economy in general than to invest in education. By every indicator, having a university degree helps you everywhere. If the CPC had introduced this instead of the Liberals, I would vote for them. Great policy.

Great idea to start out. I think it should be expanded to things like trade training as well, but this is definitely a good start. I just got out of school so I understand TBs frustration that it wasn't available sooner. However, I know what students go through to get that cash and even at just 4 grand, it's definitely welcome. There is no better investment for society in terms of social problems and the economy in general than to invest in education. By every indicator, having a university degree helps you everywhere. If the CPC had introduced this instead of the Liberals, I would vote for them. Great policy.

But more people with University degrees helps you less just pointing out the problem with Academic inflation. If everyone has a University degree it means to stand out you have to do a masters thus more school which you have to pay for there are market forces at work their too.

If the CPC had introduced this instead of the Liberals, I would vote for them. Great policy.

Sure you would. <_<

I agree, however, that it is a very good policy idea.

Like others, I don't see a problem in paying for it by canceling the planned corporate tax cut, because I've become highly skeptical as to how much that corporate tax cut would actually benefit Canadians anyway.

I don't see how Conservatives can complain about spending a billion dollars to help people obtain post-secondary education when they found a billion dollars to host a stupid worthless G8 turdstorm in Toronto.

-k

Sure you would. <_<

I agree, however, that it is a very good policy idea.

Like others, I don't see a problem in paying for it by canceling the planned corporate tax cut, because I've become highly skeptical as to how much that corporate tax cut would actually benefit Canadians anyway.

I don't see how Conservatives can complain about spending a billion dollars to help people obtain post-secondary education when they found a billion dollars to host a stupid worthless G8 turdstorm in Toronto.

-k

The Globe did an article the other day looking at if raising the corporate tax rate back by 1.5% would actually raise 6 billion like the Liberals claim. I believe their analysis said it wouldn't, it would in fact only raise 1 billion or so when you factor everything in.

The Globe did an article the other day looking at if raising the corporate tax rate back by 1.5% would actually raise 6 billion like the Liberals claim. I believe their analysis said it wouldn't, it would in fact only raise 1 billion or so when you factor everything in.

Yet John Manley, former Liberal Finance Minister, said when corporate taxes were cut revenue from corporations actually increased.

What I'm thinking is that lower corporate tax cuts encourage the formation of new businesses that would also pay those corporate taxes. They would be new streams of federal revenue.

There are many variables to consider on the whole question of corporate taxes. For laymen it's almost impossible to evaluate the pros and cons.

Yet John Manley, former Liberal Finance Minister, said when corporate taxes were cut revenue from corporations actually increased.

What I'm thinking is that lower corporate tax cuts encourage the formation of new businesses that would also pay those corporate taxes. They would be new streams of federal revenue.

There are many variables to consider on the whole question of corporate taxes. For laymen it's almost impossible to evaluate the pros and cons.

I am not saying cutting taxes increases revenue because that is crazy, I am saying Liberal estimates based on a 2007 projection makes them bad with numbers.

And that's all it is, a start. It's really not much money, and it's really, to be frank, quite boring.

At least it is a start. You're going to end up voting for a guy that has only released policy that would come into effect not after this election but the NEXT election.

This helps real people now. Helping students isn't a "sexy" issue but it's one that really helps people out.

You won't benefit by it but would vote Conservative had they promised it? How many tongues did you have implanted inside your cheek as you typed that out?

Are you daft? I said I just got out of school and understand how hard it is for students. That and considering students are the immediate future of this country, why not help them out? Investing in education makes us all more competitve.

Are you really so selfish that in terms of government policy you'll only vote for what helps you directly?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/liberals-promise-1-billion-a-year-in-student-aid--118834939.html

Raising corporate tax rates is a sure way to stifle business growth and halt job growth. Where will all the post-secondary graduates find jobs?

How did Ireland's 9 per cent corporate tax rate work out?

Straight to a 100 Billion Euro IMF/EU Bailout package.

Sure you would. <_<

I absolutely would. Every summer while I was in university, I wouldn't be able to sleep due to worry because finding summer jobs could be difficult in my area. It made me sick wondering where my money would come from for tuition. I just barely made it a couple years in a row. Anything that makes school cheaper, I vote for.

OK, so you're against Jack Layton raising the corporate tax rates back up? I believe Mr. Layton is promising that as well.

As for actual corporate tax rates, it doesn't create more business. There is absolutely no proof that cutting those taxes goes to creating more jobs.

OK, so you're against Jack Layton raising the corporate tax rates back up? I believe Mr. Layton is promising that as well.

As for actual corporate tax rates, it doesn't create more business. There is absolutely no proof that cutting those taxes goes to creating more jobs.

No I am saying the Liberals haven't looked at the numbers right and when they get into office they are going to tell us that and flush all their promises down the toilet. They are making promises based poor projections.

Everyone should vote selfishly. I haven't the slightest idea why you wouldn't.

It depends what one means by selfish. In my case, cybercoma, on a personal scale all my creature comforts are higher than standard and I don't owe anyone one single penny. Baubles politicians dangle in front of my eyes won't make me happier. So I vote on issues at another level that are not personal in nature.

:lol: ya here we go with the "elitist" snobbery in reverse...

despite centuries of evidence to the contrary there are still the under educated who still believe stupider is better....

at the end of the day it's the university graduate that hires the under educated...at the end of the day it's the under educated that is the first to be laid off...

At the end of the day the one with the natural smarts gets ahead. You can have all the uni education at the world, but you could very well be a dumb person with an education.

There are lots of people with grade 12 who run small businesses and do well, the only thing that fires them is the economy.

What I feel sorry for and I see it in town at the coffee shop around christmasd time is uni educated kids with degrees blubbering about how they can't get a good job with a 4 year degree while the kid who bought a trackhoe and bulldozer after grade 12 is sitting there with a grin on his face.

No kidding. We dont need the jails to be built

Why not? Some of them are locked up for the scarcest of reasons. Smoked a joint or had an ounce on you? Ok, you get out of here.Probably woundn t take much to frre up some space.

then 'they' dont look so good at the Parole hearing. BAck in pinstripes for you!'

Thats why we invented Curling....and why prairie folk play it all winter.

The problem with that is what is the line for who should be let out. There is a significant amount of canadians who feel that line is in the wrong place on the lenient side. I think that there is a significant reoffender problem in canada that has proven costly. Mayerthorpe incident is an example of that.

The only way that jails shouldn't be built is if people smarten up, and unfortunately the current prison population, crime rates (even though they are falling but are countered by rising population) dictate more prisons have to be built, it sucks but that's reality.

Curling is too slow for me, that's why us farm boys invented snowmobiles