Harper's election to lose? He's trying hard...

Neither is Bush, but that never stopped you! ;)

You put Chretien into the same catagory as Bush? WOW!

I'd never have guessed that Chretien had that much INFLUENCE on the United States and the world at large...

How many wars did Chretien start again? Just so we can ALL see the comparison...

Hell, I didn't even know Chretien was on a book tour like ol' Bushy, thanks for telling me, is Chretien getting his own Library built too? Where's it gonna be?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting TV today seeing Vic Toews getting grilled...

Bev Oda's on for tomorrow I understand...

Nice play on Vic's part using the "overwhelm with info" defence dumping a 1000 + page "financial report" on committee members to read, with no TIME to read it... Seems a little "last ditch effort" to me though...

Interesting TV today seeing Vic Toews getting grilled...

Bev Oda's on for tomorrow I understand...

Nice play on Vic's part using the "overwhelm with info" defence dumping a 1000 + page "financial report" on committee members to read, with no TIME to read it... Seems a little "last ditch effort" to me though...

I think it's just mainly petulance, a sort of "Oh yeah, find us in contempt, so f--- you, here's the documents then." By all accounts what they dumped on the committee yesterday even held complete copies of the legislation. The Ministers are just being jerks.

I think it's just mainly petulance, a sort of "Oh yeah, find us in contempt, so f--- you, here's the documents then." By all accounts what they dumped on the committee yesterday even held complete copies of the legislation. The Ministers are just being jerks.

This is true...

Yet another form of "well, the other guys did it so it doesn't matter this time around" despite the fact that this round of guys got elected specifically on the promise of not doing what the previous bunch of guys did.

I gotta tell ya, in all my years, through good and bad, this is the first TIME I've ever seen anyone say that a Canadian Political Party hates Democracy...

With the contempt charges and now hookers and lobbyists, it's going to be hard not to vote it down. I wonder what Punked will say if he actually does.

Remember that time Michael Ignatieff said "You time is up Mr. Harper!!!" then he went on to vote with the Conservatives another 100 times and propped them up? Me either because I just took out a Liberal membership.

No wait I didn't and I still do. You can come talk to me after the budget vote until then "Your time it up". HA!

Remember that time Michael Ignatieff said "You time is up Mr. Harper!!!" then he went on to vote with the Conservatives another 100 times and propped them up? Me either because I just took out a Liberal membership.

No wait I didn't and I still do. You can come talk to me after the budget vote until then "Your time it up". HA!

Why the budget vote? I'd watch TV on the 25th not just the 22nd if I were you...

We'll see, but the NDP have a lot to lose in an election right now, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Harper has lost control on this one, good thing, perhaps Layton's hands are now tied for the same reason...

Opposition Day on the 25th (moved there from the 21st by Harper) is where I'm thinking the Liberals will introduce a no confidence motion based on the Harper Regime's illegal actions will be what triggers the election rather than the budget which is what Harper wants to happen...

But then again the NDP (about 15 of them anyway) may not show up next Friday to vote or take part in Opposition Day for some excuse or another... It'd be an extremely stupid move by them, but who knows, anything may happen when it concerns Layton, the NDP and losing seats...

All in all a very interesting week in Canadian politics coming up...

We'll see, but the NDP have a lot to lose in an election right now, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Like what? Exactly what do the NDP have to lose now, that isn't up for grabs in every election. Every election is the same for the NDP. It makes no difference. Except they are the party that can't go back to the supporters with nothing but hat in hand. Unlike the Liberals.

GWiz, all of your examples are relevant only to a small anglophone, Toronto-centric, anti-Harper group. In this broad place we call Canada, your tweeted scandals don't matter.

Most Canadians don't know who Bev Oda is, and they rightly don't care. They don't know about In-Out payments (and if they bothered to figure it out, they woudln't care.) Harper Government? Politicians say things like that.

In simple terms, if you are among the small percentage of Canadians who loathe Harper, you are going to go ballistic over these 15 second sound bites. Ordinary voters will look at you in wonder.

GWiz, I sometimes think that some people in Toronto are superficial. I'm more convinced that the people who hate Harper have no judgment, and confuse the unimportant with the important. Your list is evidence.

I think if the Opposition finds the Government in contempt of Parliament, the first time, mind you, that apparently any scholar can find in the entire history of the Commonwealth that such a thing has ever happened, it will have ripples throughout the country, and indeed, will set a rather extraordinary precedent in the Westminster system. Will it win the Liberals an election, very likely not, but I think it and the related scandals have pretty much scarred the image the Tories have tried to foster of a more open and honest government, and will probably cost them any chance of a majority, which is why I still think we may avoid an election, particularly if Layton backs the Government on the budget.

You can agree or disagree with all of this, but this strange idea that is being fostered that finding a government in contempt, hell, even finding a Cabinet Minister in contempt, won't have some influence is just plain bizarre.

Like what? Exactly what do the NDP have to lose now, that isn't up for grabs in every election. Every election is the same for the NDP. It makes no difference. Except they are the party that can't go back to the supporters with nothing but hat in hand. Unlike the Liberals.

It seems fairly likely that the NDP will not have another chance anywhere in the near future to have this much influence over the creation of a budget. They can literally keep the government alive.

It seems fairly likely that the NDP will not have another chance anywhere in the near future to have this much influence over the creation of a budget. They can literally keep the government alive.

Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first TIME the CONS and the NDP have formed a coalition would it?

Of course there's the "joker" in all of this, namely the BLOC, Harper may decide to buy them instead of Layton for a mere $5 BILLION in "compensation" for things like the ice storm and harmonization of the sales taxes...

Hmmm, a CON-NDP-BLOC coalition to take out the Liberals, all 3 parties get exactly what they want at little to no "cost" to themselves, not likely but hardly beyond conception is it? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to look like Harper is trying harder than ever to actually lose this election... :D

I dunno. He's the frontrunner, so all eyes are on him. What's more, he has all the parties throwing more crap at him than they are at each other.

Things might change slightly if, by the third week, the NDP begin losing support to the Liberals. Then watch Layton start attacking Iggy with equal zest.

Things might change slightly if, by the third week, the NDP begin losing support to the Liberals. Then watch Layton start attacking Iggy with equal zest.

Too late, he's been doing it for some TIME now... :D