New Look for parliament

The last time they had to relocate they used the Museum on Mcleod street. I don't know why they couldn't do the same again It's already got a big, ugly glass dome attached and was just renovated (thus the big ugly glass dome). The museum of nature isn't all that popular anyway. We could put it aside for a while.

Have you ever been to the Museum of Nature? When I was there, the line was longer than at any other in Ottawa.

The Canadian Aviation Museum also has a massive hangar (obviously). It's in Rockcliffe and a 15min drive from the Hill.

The Canadian War Museum has a giant room down stairs, but it isn't really a dignified enough place for the House of Commons.

The Canadian War Museum has a giant room down stairs, but it isn't really a dignified enough place for the House of Commons.

Don't forget location, as well. Both the War and Aviation Museums are quite far from Parliament Hill, away from all the offices of the MPs, Cabinet, and parliamentary officers. Logistically, they're not sound alternatives.

too bad there arn't giant sewers in ottawa lik NYC.

montreal does appear to have an older sewer system

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3403712052_ef359bcfc1_o.jpg

http://spacingmontreal.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/st_charles_collector01.jpg

can't seem to find anything on ottawa's old sewers.

yeah even 20 some years after the sewer system in ottawa started up in 1876 this is looking pretty slim to fit them all, it would take a lot of work.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2009/03/aging-infrastructure-part-1-the-trouble-underground/

Edited by William Ashley

too bad there arn't giant sewers in ottawa lik NYC.

montreal does appear to have an older sewer system

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3403712052_ef359bcfc1_o.jpg

http://spacingmontreal.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/st_charles_collector01.jpg

can't seem to find anything on ottawa's old sewers.

yeah even 20 some years after the sewer system in ottawa started up in 1876 this is looking pretty slim to fit them all, it would take a lot of work.

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2009/03/aging-infrastructure-part-1-the-trouble-underground/

If you hate Canada this much why not just emigrate someplace more to your liking?

If you hate Canada this much why not just emigrate someplace more to your liking?

There is a difference between disliking a bad government and disliking the land they oppress.

While I do prefer tropical climates my roots are here, if you'd like to pay me to live outside of Canada it is something I'm willing to discus.

Understand though my problem is with people who oppress my existence, and in my opinion do harm to the world, that being the Harperites.

There is also the naging issue of people "legislating" what is legal for me to do wherever I am in the world, unfortunately the obnoxious government it is, has that sort of stance - essentially forcing me to be Canadian - it is not something I can simply remove myself. It is the law they make. I'm perfectly able to form my own state, however, there is a certain level of recognition with how other countries will view me, as they tend to have dealings with Canada and even if they were to recognize my self recognized sovereign status.. if they don't just call me a wacko, they are also at minimum likely to see me as a dual citizen. So the problem isn't removed. I'm sure this is all "weird talk" to you. But it is pretty simple stuff. Not the norm I admit but I feel I'm fully within my human rights to choose my association. I'm effectively "forced" to association with Canada - by Canadian legislating on my person, not even solely while in Canada but as someone recognized as a citizen by the government of Canada (and very well other countries also) - regardless of my attempts to correct that issue. Honestly this is more a matter of doing what is best for me, but I'm someone who respects human rights and has the best wishes for all good people - as such feel obligated to the people of Canada also in voicing my opinion. It sounds strange I'm sure, but it is the way it is.

There is also the issue of "it being largerly the same around the world".

I feel obligated to share my view in Canada because I'm oppressed by the Government here and they specifically "claim me".

It is the whole jurisdiction issue, there is no real freedom within their framework, so until they release me, I feel that rejecting what I don't like about them is well, the right thing to do.

Mr. Canada though you seem to like to put words into peoples mouths, maybe you should talk about you instead of your false impressions of me. I'm not forcing myself on you.

Frankly if I'm disempowered to remove the laws people are forcing on me, the least I can do is voice my opinion against the ones I don't agree with - afterall I didn't consent to them in the first place, it is unauthorized rule - i.e. oppression. As disenfranchised I feel obligated to reject that system disenfranchising me. The right to give my self representation away is not a right of representation and voice in the process. Especially when no one represents my views in the process. I more strongly support natural law and reason - something I feel that the government has gone well beyond in partisan unethical endevours to deprive the natural rights of man.

In suggesting I "leave Canada" you are rudely not recognizing Canada is not more a creation in your mind than my mind seeing a free united world called earth, and me being therein (or in that same respect the universe/qauntaverse or well my realm (the extents of my reality). Your law has little more force than my willingness to reason my actions to it, not out of fear, but out of an attempt for peaceable coexistence. I don't abrogate myself, mobility or self defence - supposed fundamental rights - your claimed fundamental justice infringes - I think you have a lot of learning to do, and a lot of respect to learn before you can begin to attempt to advise or make suggestions to me that will in any way have any real effect.

While an endevour for outright freedom is noble and endevour to give others freedom while not loosing your own is something more noble.

-Liberation takes time, if you can't see your own that is the barrier, but it doesn't mean acceptance of the wrong.

Edited by William Ashley

Yes, he is. That's what the picture from the article is.

I don't know spending $42 million on a temporary building that ill be torn down afterward. That seems crazy to me but I don't know the ins and outs of the plan mind you.

Surely they could find an already existing location to house the Chamber for the time being.

I just want to make sure I have this correct.

They're wanting to build a glass domed building that will be a temporary home for parliament.

They're want to put a glass dome on the permanent parliament chamber.

Is this correct?

I don't have a problem with doing renovation o n the existing buildings. They're very old and in need of repair.

No, it isn't correct. The glass dome is for the courtyard of the West Block of Parliament. The courtyard will then become the temporary chamber. When the H0C is done with it, the room will be divided and used as 3 separate committee rooms. I'm talking about the first link in the thread.

Edited by Smallc

No, it isn't correct. The glass dome is for the courtyard of the West Block of Parliament. The courtyard will then become the temporary chamber. When the H0C is done with it, the room will be divided and used as 3 separate committee rooms. I'm talking about the first link in the thread.

Yeah, the link is dead but I found the story but it was worded strangely and I didn't understand what was going on. Thanks for clairifying that for me Smallc.

but wasn't that like 100 years ago? I doubt there's still a giant room inside to house the MP's. Maybe they could use the room i remember with the giant dinosaur (t-rex?) skeleton.

The place has few interior walls, as in a typical office building. It has high ceilings and temporary walls for exhibits. Thus you could simply sweep all that away and have a massive 'room' which encompasses half a floor. The HoC would fit there easily enough. However, they would probably still spend tens of millions in renovations so...