What can you do to stop racism?

Since the word refers specifically to English people and no others I would tend to disagree. To state it is not racist would be akin to saying that calling a Jewish person a "Kike or Hebe" is not racist. Or how about the ever popular "go back to where you belong" is this also not racist?

It is becoming clear to me that in your limited world view one must be of a certain shade to be subject to racism, how sad that you limit your understanding on purpose in such a way. How racist to make such distinctions. Of course in your view I could just exist in silence and all would be good, correct.

Dude. Limey is not a racist term.

Limey is an old slang nickname, often pejorative, for the British, originally referring to British sailors.

You need education, not sympathy.

Edited by charter.rights

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First point, I look for sympathy from non, least of all you. Secondly, I know exactly where the term originates, more so than you.

So by your metric to call a Jew a Hebe or a black person a Nigger, or an English person a Shit Eater, or an Arabic person a Rag Head is not racist, merely using slang? Next, the one you refuse to answer, telling someone to go back to where they came from is not racist?

So you believe that racism can not be enacted against white people? To suffer racism one must be of color? Would you not say that the Holocaust was racist in that it targetted Jewish people who were not of distinct color. The Boers of South Africa in the sixties displayed racism against all who were not Boer. Yes they had Aparthied but would also deny employment or social status to white people who were not Boer, was that not racist?

So by your metric to call a Jew a Hebe or a black person a Nigger, or an English person a Shit Eater, or an Arabic person a Rag Head is not racist, merely using slang? Next, the one you refuse to answer, telling someone to go back to where they came from is not racist?

I think by his metric all of those are racist, except for the English person of course. They being of white skin...

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Actually I get this question a lot as I'm an immigrant. Never once did it occur to me that it was a racist question, nor do I think it is. It's simply the result of normal curiosity, no more. The twit who claims it as a form of racism is just exactly that, a twit, as are any who believe likewise.

I (immigrant) never get asked this question because I have no accent...I do not usually do not ask it because of skin colour but mostly because I hear an accent...I ask the question though because I'm curious I want to know about other countries, their people, culture, their personal experiences and politcal and social viewpoints...not knowing about other cultures is a cause of racism, prejudice is rooted in ignorance...

I would think that most racists wouldn't ask this question as they don't want anything to do with the person...

I ask that question all the time. I meet so many people not from here I am curious . I also tend to try and figure it out first, then ask.

Doesn't seem to bother anyone I have ever asked.

I find people love to talk about where they're from, they take the question as an attempt to be friendly not hostile... Edited by wyly

I did some research.

As it turns out, everyone here is racist, except Charter.

Charter is a true champion of all that is good and right with the world.

Thank you Charter for pointing out what horrible racists we all are. I can only hope that one day we can achieve your level of enlightenment.

All the rest of you racists, stop posting, unless it is to acknowledge the greatness of Charter.

I think by his metric all of those are racist, except for the English person of course. They being of white skin...

If a native calls another native "skin" it is not racist. If a black man calls another "nigger" then it is not racist either. So on for all the other examples within their group. However, at any time if we use the terms IT IS a racist epithet, no ifs ands or buts.

So being called a "limey" by any other Caucasian is not racist. It may be a pejorative but it certainly isn't racist.

What is more funny than a bunch of white privileged guys sitting around talking about what is not racist. You guys haven't a clue and that is part of the white privilege that was eluded to. Because the white male dominant society sets the definitions and the laws we can easily justify our own racist tendencies and have others of our same kind patting us on the back for it.

Let's just say that in this article - the OP - you don't get to set the definitions or the circumstances that define racism. How do you think that would go if all of a sudden you were turned down for welfare because there was a minority behind the desk. What would you say then given the fact the he doesn't believe that you qualify?

Edited by charter.rights

So back to my question. Is it or is it not racist to tell someone from another country to go back to where they came from? I would appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

If it is a Caucasian Canadian telling a Caucasian English immigrant, then no it is not racist.

Edited by charter.rights

being called a "limey" by any other Caucasian is not racist. It may be a pejorative but it certainly isn't racist.

I do not agree with this because, whites are also racist among themselves. We also hate wops, krauts, micks, spicks, frogs, etc.

What is more funny than a bunch of white privileged guys sitting around talking about what is not racist. You guys haven't a clue and that is part of the white...

Hmm, sounds pretty racist...

How do you think that would go if all of a sudden you were turned down for welfare because there was a minority behind the desk. What would you say then given the fact the he doesn't believe that you qualify?

"Ok then, I'll go get a job."

Wops, spics, greeks, frogs, dutch, swedes and pseudo-swedes, polacks, portoguys, russians, ukes, hungkies, krauts, balkan brains, serbs, croats, albanians, welsh, mics, sassenach...all non whites...

If it ain't Scottish, it's crap.

I do not agree with this because, whites are also racist among themselves. We also hate wops, krauts, micks, spicks, frogs, etc.

Nope it isn't racist. It is a pejorative...big difference.

racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

So if it is not related to the racial background of the person then it is not racism.