$9 Million Parliament Renovation Contract Given to Tory Friendly

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/construction-firm-president-hosted-tory-minister-at-fundraiser/article1745670/

In an interview, Mr. Sauvé said he worked on the event after Conservative supporters in Montreal told him “it was the thing to do” after getting the contract.

“I felt the Conservatives needed help, and it was a kind of a thank you,” Mr. Sauvé said.

The RCMP launched an investigation into the contract to LM Sauvé earlier this year, looking in particular at the nature of the relations between LM Sauvé and a long-time Conservative supporter and business relations adviser, Gilles Varin.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to check on the facts, Varin has not been a member of the party for over 10 years and is not an 'organizer' or anything else.

well not exactly...

Conservative Quebec lieutenant Christian Paradis acknowledged in the House that he attended a party fundraiser last year that featured a number of people working on a $9-million contract on Parliament Hill.

According to information obtained by The Globe and Mail and Radio-Canada, Paul Sauvé, the president of construction firm LM Sauvé, helped the Conservative association in the riding of Bourassa to organize the event in January, 2009.

and a party card means very little, as you know.

edit to add link -> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/construction-firm-president-hosted-tory-minister-at-fundraiser/article1745670/

Edited by Shakeyhands

and a party card means very little, as you know.

Right. If you wanted, you could obtain a membership card from every single party. Actually, some people do just to receive mailouts aimed strictly at a party's membership. The downside is you also get bombarded with requests for contributions from every one of them.

There's nothing here, it's all about making hay out of nothing, because the opposition has nothing else to offer.

Actually scribblet, the facts as we know them so far are flimsy. I'm willing to let the RCMP investigation take its course before assigning blame. Not surprising, anti-Harperites here have already found the government guilty although I do appreciate the consistency of their message.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the guy who replaced Sauve to complete the work turned out to be a Liberal supporter and contributor to the Liberal party and (gulp) from Quebec.

I am reminded of a old paraphrase from Huey Long:

"Yah I steal from you just like the other guys but you know when I do it I am going to take less and I am going to put it into your roads and schools."

No excuses the Tories are wrong, but I don't know if it is the Liberals place to point fingers after their past.

What was reveal on CTV today, was the money being paid to one guy to the other, came from motorcyle gang, where the guy had to go and borrow the money. So now we have dirty money. Its getting to sound the Mulroney years all over again.

What is it with this Conservative government's continuous ties to Quebec motorcycle gangs?

Maxime Bernier redux?