The Diplomat, the Numbers Guy, the Ombudsman...

betsy

...and the CRTC guy. There's so many in quick succession I gave up remembering their names!

<yawn>

I smell desperation from the Opposition. Not just simple desperation, but the mother of all desperation!

A couple of separate press conferences by the Liberals (Martha F Hall and McGuinty).

The dramatic backdrop for Martha Hall's press conference were four black-and-white photographs of "Harper's casualties." Her tone, matched by her face, was so somber. The clicking of cameras added to the ambience. At first I thought somebody died. Talk about Drama Queen! :rolleyes:

Then with CBC Evan Solomon, Liberal MP McGuinty was on a roll about the latest straw the Liberals pulled out of their hat: the RCMP guy who's an ardent supporter of the Gun Registry. He started naming the people fired by Harper.....and bravo for Evan Solomon who interrupted and challenged McGuinty's sneaky nice try when he included the name of the Ombudsman. Solomon corrected him saying, he was not fired. His position was not renewed, and that there's a big difference.

And the truth of it, that won't be the last. But what's giving me heart palpitation is the way they keep throwing that word "enquiry" like as if taxpayers' money grow on trees!

I tell ya you gotta watch those Liberals. They will do just about anything these days.

Edited by betsy

...and the CRTC guy. There's so many in quick succession I gave up remembering their names!

<yawn>

I smell desperation from the Opposition. Not just simple desperation, but the mother of all desperation!

A couple of separate press conferences by the Liberals (Martha F Hall and McGuinty).

The dramatic backdrop for Martha Hall's press conference were four black-and-white photographs of "Harper's casualties." Her tone, matched by her face, was so somber. The clicking of cameras added to the ambience. At first I thought somebody died. Talk about Drama Queen! :rolleyes:

Then with CBC Evan Solomon, Liberal MP McGuinty was on a roll about the latest straw the Liberals pulled out of their hat: the RCMP guy who's an ardent supporter of the Gun Registry. He started naming the people fired by Harper.....and bravo for Evan Solomon who interrupted and challenged McGuinty's sneaky nice try when he included the name of the Ombudsman. Solomon corrected him saying, he was not fired. His position was not renewed, and that there's a big difference.

And the truth of it, that won't be the last. But what's giving me heart palpitation is the way they keep throwing that word "enquiry" like as if taxpayers' money grow on trees!

I tell ya you gotta watch those Liberals. They will do just about anything these days.

We have way too much government now, we could stand to see a few more go to the chopping block and not have the positions re filled.

Why should any of these Ombudsmen be appointed for life? Many people simply refuse to recognize that government often has to run like a business....Times change. Policies change.....and sometimes you need new blood to carry through a renewed vision. The Federal Government has an Ombudsman in place for just about every department and Crown Corporation....including National Defence, Tax, Canada Post, Corrections Services, CBC, Victims of Crime and numerous others. I heard Jean-Pierre Blackburn give a heartfelt interview on CBC about how he's trying to work with Veterans and the bureaucracy to come up with ways to better service the influx of "newer" veterans while continuing to care for WWII and Korean War vets. The service needs are different and the Status Quo is no longer acceptable. I'm thankful that the Conservatives will not be content with appointing someone into a Job for Life.

Edited by Keepitsimple

This isn't about the size of government or appointments for life and all of you know it. This is about the government trying to destroy any critical opinion coming from within it's own ranks. It's censorship. Nothing more, nothing less. Furthermore, how anyone can say this is desperate stuff from the opposition is hilarious. If you ask me, this is a desperate attempt on the part of conservative posters to try and change the channel away from what EVERYONE is talking about; the drastically horrible summer Stephen Harper is having and the downright idiotic decisions he's making. Two major publications, Globe and Mail and Macleans, papers that are traditionally conservative, have completely shifted away from his party. He's being hammered pretty much every day with more and more negative editorials. And It's the opposition that's desperate? Puh-lease.

Also, just re-read the first post. Love the semantics. Fired, position not renewed, what's the difference? When you're asked not to come back by a government and you so happen to be saying critical things about it, whether the job isn't being renewed or they promote someone or demote someone, the intent is all the same. They want the guy to shut up. The fact that anyone would actually try to justify that is mind boggling.

Edited by nicky10013

This isn't about the size of government or appointments for life and all of you know it. This is about the government trying to destroy any critical opinion coming from within it's own ranks. It's censorship. Nothing more, nothing less. Furthermore, how anyone can say this is desperate stuff from the opposition is hilarious. If you ask me, this is a desperate attempt on the part of conservative posters to try and change the channel away from what EVERYONE is talking about; the drastically horrible summer Stephen Harper is having and the downright idiotic decisions he's making.

Meanwhile, the polls are bouncing back.....but I do admire your zeal in supporting the Liberals. There was a very telling article in the Global and Mail this morning. Don't these dinosaurs realize that it was exactly this elitist, sexist "entitlement" attitude that got them booted from government in the first place? Apparently, not much has changed.

Hot: Backroom-boys-bash

Over scotch, Niagara wines and Cuban cigars the Grit boys congregated at long-time Liberal Senator David Smiths Cobourg, Ont. home Thursday night, debating how they lost power to the Harper Tories and how they can win it back.

Billed as the Gentlemens Summer Soiree the men-only fete has taken place every year for nearly 20 years. Last year was an exception, however. When the gathering did not take place, some Liberals speculated the Partys prospects were just so bleak that no one wanted to party.

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/the-friday-hots-and-nots-long-guns-and-grit-pool-parties/article1679536/

Edited by Keepitsimple

Meanwhile, the polls are bouncing back.....but I do admire your zeal in supporting the Liberals. There was a very telling article in the Global and Mail this morning. Don't these dinosaurs realize that it was exactly this elitist, sexist "entitlement" attitude that got them booted from government in the first place? Apparently, not much has changed.

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/the-friday-hots-and-nots-long-guns-and-grit-pool-parties/article1679536/

Yeah, 32%. Quite the bounce back. That's majority territory, right? I also read the article. Who cares. It's a private pool party full of staffers of a by-gone era. That's news right there, boy.

Yeah, 32%. Quite the bounce back. That's majority territory, right? I also read the article. Who cares. It's a private pool party full of staffers of a by-gone era. That's news right there, boy.

I think you might be having a little touch of naivite. David Smith was the key man in coaxing Ignatieff to come back to Canada and many of the other attendees are no lightweights in the shadowy Liberal backrooms. The by-gone era you speak of was a mini-reorg less than a year ago. You can bet that these folks will still have a lot to say when Ignatieff trundles back to Harvard - or the U of T. Nicky - the party still has not purged itself of its demons.

I think you might be having a little touch of naivite. David Smith was the key man in coaxing Ignatieff to come back to Canada and many of the other attendees are no lightweights in the shadowy Liberal backrooms. The by-gone era you speak of was a mini-reorg less than a year ago. You can bet that these folks will still have a lot to say when Ignatieff trundles back to Harvard - or the U of T. Nicky - the party still has not purged itself of its demons.

Sure it has. Those purged demons went to jail. Besides, this thread is about Harper and authoritarian ways. None of which you've even bothered to counter because everyone knows, given his history, that it's a useless endeavour. Now, we have this to add.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tory-campaign-college-offers-lesson-in-favours/article1679095/

Sure it has. Those purged demons went to jail. Besides, this thread is about Harper and authoritarian ways. None of which you've even bothered to counter because everyone knows, given his history, that it's a useless endeavour. Now, we have this to add.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tory-campaign-college-offers-lesson-in-favours/article1679095/

There's that naive streak again. The demons are still there....the infighting with Ignatieff and Bob Rae and the backroom boys that were at the party. That's three separate camps that are still jockeying for position....the "new" Ignatieff team, the Bob Rae backers, and the "old guard". You can bet that as soon as Iggy retreats to his 26/27% in the polls, the knives will be out again. As for me not countering the intent of this thread, I did so in detail with my "Jobs for Life" post.

Edited by Keepitsimple

There's that naive streak again. The demons are still there....the infighting with Ignatieff and Bob Rae and the backroom boys that were at the party. That's three separate camps that are still jockeying for position....the "new" Ignatieff team, the Bob Rae backers, and the "old guard". You can bet that as soon as Iggy retreats to his 26/27% in the polls, the knives will be out again. As for me not countering the intent of this thread, I did so in detail with my "Jobs for Life" post.

What knives? When have there been any knives? The last time I checked, the last polling had them at 27%. Even with those numbers, I'd still call an election. Clearly, with the story of the bus tour, Ignatieff has all the positive momentum. As a foil, look at what's been happening to Harper. Name one positive thing he's done this summer. It's been gaffe after gaffe. The last Liberal government before it was defeated had a much higher percentage of support when the country went to the polls in 2006. Opposition parties rarely if ever go into an election ahead of the sitting government. The polls drastically shift during the writ. Everyone talks about how no one wants an election. Not true, the government doesn't want an election. I don't see any reason why the opposition wouldn't. For those who say Ignatieff can't manage politically, he's gone out, met people, shown that he's an actual human being. There have been many articles written about how good of a speaker he actually is. These are all things that translate incredibly well onto the campaign trail. Combine that with the fact that Harper is, as PMs go, historically weak and all of a sudden that 27% doesn't look bad at all. The fact that there are also so many undecided voters that have refused to go back to the CPC also bodes extremely well. The #1 second choice of centrist-right voters is the Liberal Party. If this disaffection holds out, and some people slightly left of the Liberals are finally sick of Harper, you may see a lot of votes coming from just right of centre from the CPC and a few votes from the left NDP.

No one is winning a majority, but that's the game only one party is playing. The game the opposition is playing is to defeat the Conservatives and get rid of Harper. Considering his attempt to dominate everything, the censorship, the fear mongering and the mismanagement and lies, the opposition has a real chance. You would've never thought this even 2 years ago, but a few polling agencies have said that if the opposition can turn the ballot question into a referendum on Stephen Harper, they win. Strange how fates change.

Edited by nicky10013

No one is winning a majority, but that's the game only one party is playing. The game the opposition is playing is to defeat the Conservatives and get rid of Harper. Considering his attempt to dominate everything, the censorship, the fear mongering and the mismanagement and lies, the opposition has a real chance. You would've never thought this even 2 years ago, but a few polling agencies have said that if the opposition can turn the ballot question into a referendum on Stephen Harper, they win. Strange how fates change.

That's a pretty rosy outlook and I wish you best of luck......but most, if not all of the issues that the Liberals and media raise are tempests in teapots and Canadians are wise to these tricks. Eventually, the truth or at at least, a better balance raises its head. That's why the polls are bouncing back - all these "stories" have lost their traction, especially since Harper has returned to the public stage to emphasize the silliness of them. Take the latest fiction about the government meddling in the "pushing aside" of Marty Cheliak - and his supposed Gun Registry report. The Liberals are actually saying that the government should interfere with the RCMP's internal staffing process and overturn their decision - go figure! Here's an article from today's Star - buried in later pages of course:

EDMONTONAn angry commissioner of the RCMP is denying suggestions that the head of the federal gun registry was sent for French training to lower his profile as the issue comes up for debate in Parliament.

William Elliott says its pure fiction to say that putting Chief Supt. Marty Cheliak, who is a prominent advocate of the gun registry, on leave had anything to do with the fact a Conservative MPs bill that would abolish it is expected to come before Parliament in the coming weeks.

There is absolutely, positively nothing to the suggestion that there was any political role or interference with respect to this, said Elliott in Edmonton, where he was attending a meeting of the Criminal Intelligence Service Canada.

Elliotts denials follow similar statements from others, including Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and he sounded frustrated to be facing the same questions.

There is not one iota of truth in (this). The media, and others, just made this up, he said.

Its not true, its not true, its not true. Its just made up, and (it would be) really good if you guys would report the truth and not just idle speculation by certain politicians and certain members of the media.

Elliott pointed out that Cheliak had been head of the firearms registry on an acting basis only.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/gunregistry/article/850577--top-mountie-denies-politics-behind-marty-cheliak-removal

Edited by Keepitsimple

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I can one-up you on that story:

Liberals scramble to help George Smitherman stop Rob Ford

Premier Dalton McGuintys Liberals are pulling out all the stops to help former deputy premier George Smitherman win the Toronto mayoral race.

Mindful that a municipal victory by Progressive Conservative Rob Ford would be a blow to the Grits in the city, pamphlets are being distributed to 75,000 identified Liberal voters by Smithermans campaign.

The brochures boast photos of Smitherman surrounded by headshots of 23 past and present Liberal MPPs, a dozen Liberal MPs, as well as former Tory MPP and cabinet minister Dan Newman.

On the Smitherman brochure, the roster of political backers includes former premiers David Peterson and Bob Rae the latter of whom is now a Liberal MP.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/850753--liberals-scramble-to-help-george-smitherman-stop-rob-ford?bn=1

Edited by Keepitsimple

That's right! It's not only Martha Hall Findlay, but also - Gerald Caplan!

----

I have the distinct impression that Harper has a good idea of what he is doing. You'll note that each one of these controversies concern Conservative base issues. Whether you agree with the idea, for example, of a military ombudsman or not, or of a long form census questionnaire or not, Harper has moved the public debate to small-c conservative issues.

Hrper is moving the playing field away from issues that typically favour the Liberals or the NDP.

That's right! It's not only Martha Hall Findlay, but also - Gerald Caplan!

----

I have the distinct impression that Harper has a good idea of what he is doing. You'll note that each one of these controversies concern Conservative base issues. Whether you agree with the idea, for example, of a military ombudsman or not, or of a long form census questionnaire or not, Harper has moved the public debate to small-c conservative issues.

Hrper is moving the playing field away from issues that typically favour the Liberals or the NDP.

If moving the playing field is the intention, I don't think they've conducted a proper risk analysis. The removals, resignations and non-renewal of terms all feed into a narrative of what Harper is against: he's against people and institutions who rely on census data, he's against social science, he's against fair treatment for veterans, he's against the troops, he's against the RCMP, he's against nuclear safety, he's against gun control (though we knew that already), he's against the arts, he's against... As the list grows, he raises the possibility of voter defections and, more importantly, creating the conditions where some Green, NDP and Bloc voters come to the conclusion that only a vote for the Liberals can end the "misery" that is Harper.

Governments defeat themselves. And in shooting messengers, Harper is sending many messages for people to disagree with.

... what Harper is against: he's against people and institutions who rely on census data, he's against social science, he's against fair treatment for veterans, he's against the troops, he's against the RCMP, he's against nuclear safety, he's against gun control (though we knew that already), he's against the arts, he's against...
Stephen Harper is... Pol Pot!

So the Liberals are back to the Numbers Guy (Census). At CBC Evan Solomon Power and Politics, they vow to waste time and taxpayers money by rehashing this issue come September.

The Liberals staunchley declared that they will eliminate that clause in the census form that threatens citizens with jail-time. Evan Solomon clarified: Well, so therefore it won't be mandatory then.

The Liberal MP was only momentarily stumped, and quickly added something like: Oh, we'll threaten them with fines instead! :lol:

Solomon asked: Wasn't it a Liberal leader who said that government has no business inside the bedrooms of citizens? Isn't this intrusive?

I forgot how the Liberal MP answered that....but I mean, they will hijack the time in the House to prolong this non-issue issue....instead of them addressing real concerns!

Edited by betsy