Atleo calls for end of Indian Act within five years

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Liberal party has rendered itself meaningless....

That's about how I feel, too. I used to be a Liberal, but I'm certainly not right now. That said, the Liberal party used to ride the centre, and really does again (post Dion) right now....so do the Conservatives at present.

That's about how I feel, too. I used to be a Liberal, but I'm certainly not right now. That said, the Liberal party used to ride the centre, and really does again (post Dion) right now....so do the Conservatives at present.

Y'a mean both are kinda milquetoast?

Remember kiddo...Stanfield ran on wage and price controls in the early '70's...

Trudeau simply followed the Con lead...

Trudeau was also reduced to a minority government in the 70s that barely won and leaned on the NDP for survival. Forgetting that in your old age?

Pretty much. The Conservatives at least (at the moment) seem to have some kind of purpose. The Liberals...not so much.

It's pretty much the same thing.The only difference is one is in the "Captains seat" and the other wants to be....

Neither is offering anything terribly different from the other.Now,I truly think that's because Mr.Harper is in a minority position and he has been forced to become an incrementalist.I don't believe that's his nature,though.However,as long as he has a weak and willing accomplice in the opposition,he can basically rule with impunity because he knows that the Liberals are never going to call him on his legislative agenda....

Trudeau was also reduced to a minority government in the 70s that barely won and leaned on the NDP for survival. Forgetting that in your old age?

I was in single digits at the time...

And in that minority position,implimented the wage and price controls Mr.Stanfield campaigned on....

By our, I mean Canadians. Multiculturalism....bilingualism....the metric system...the Constitution Act, 1982...the failed Quebec Referendum...etc, etc, etc.

Multiculturalism is a joke that makes talk of national identity an oxymoron, and yes, we already went over his flawed charter.

"Multiculturalism does little more than affirm our commitment to moral and ethical relativism.... That is, it affirms that we stand for precisely nothing." -- Robert Martin

The etc include his national energy program and tax-and-spend economic policies?

It's quite amusing to watch a so-called conservative defend Trudeau though. What's the matter, haven't got the courage to admit being liberal? You can always use the word "progressive" to escape it.

Aboriginal rights cannot be extinguished and continue to exist in spite of any 'European' claims, royal or otherwise.

Aboriginal rights certainly could be extinguished. Take a look south of the border for proof of that. But, who knows why you keep bringing up the extinguishment of aboriginal rights when it's been pointed out over and over that their rights have actually been enshrined in the constitution, quite the opposite of extinguished.

Aboriginal rights certainly could be extinguished. Take a look south of the border for proof of that. But, who knows why you keep bringing up the extinguishment of aboriginal rights when it's been pointed out over and over that their rights have actually been enshrined in the constitution, quite the opposite of extinguished.

Since the thread op is about Canada's Indian Act, we are talking about Canada.

Guest TrueMetis

Multiculturalism is a joke that makes talk of national identity an oxymoron, and yes, we already went over his flawed charter.

The idea of a national identity in a country as large as Canada is a joke.

Guest TrueMetis

Umm there are plenty of countries of comparable size that have no trouble with having a "national identity". China, the US, and Russia all come to mind.

Yes I'm sure the people of Penza are very similar to the people of Magadan, people from Texas are exactly like people from Ohio, and of course people from Shenyang and Kunming act the same way.

Canada doesn't even fit the definition of a nation neither does China, the US, or Russia BTW. So how exactly do any of them have national identities?

Yes I'm sure the people of Penza are very similar to the people of Magadan, people from Texas are exactly like people from Ohio, and of course people from Shenyang and Kunming act the same way.

Canada doesn't even fit the definition of a nation neither does China, the US, or Russia BTW. So how exactly do any of them have national identities?

Because Canada lacks one thing the other countries do not - land.

Without a connection to the land, there is no culture and without culture there is no identity.

Yet Six Nations have an identity, because they have land, a long historic connection to it, culture and and an identity.

Canada is like a flock of geese that land on a pond stay for a while and then fly away. The geese are not locked to that location and they don't take the pond as their own and so no one can identify them with it. Our immigration policies make Canada so much a transient nation that no one is sure whether we are really cold Americans, a holiday resort for bus tourists, or a landing zone for the world's cast-offs.

Without land, we are nothing more than visitors.

Edited by charter.rights

Multiculturalism argues that all cultures are equal, but they're not.

Muhammad Parvez, 60, and son Waqas, 29, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 16-year-old Mississauga high school student’s death on the morning of Dec. 10, 2007.

In a chilling police interview on the day of Aqsa's murder, her distraught mother, crying and talking out loud to herself, was recorded as saying she thought her husband was only going to “break legs and arms,” but instead “killed her.”

She told the officer that in her Pakistani culture, if a daughter doesn't listen to her parents, she is punished. “Either they kill the girl or turn her out of the house,” she said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/823705--father-and-son-plead-guilty-to-murdering-aqsa-parvez

Anyone that tries to pass this crap off as culture that's equal to the culture that Canada inherited from Britain and Europe is speaking out of the wrong orifice. And as far as I'm concerned, hyphenated Canadians are tourists.