Small Boat Operators Certificate

A few years ago I got a certificate and last year I lost it. No biggy I figured, I'll just send for a replacement. Turns out the only records are kept by the companies who give the exams. The government has no database with a record of the card holders. If you can't remember who you took the test from (I wrote mine at an outdoors show and can't) you are SOL and have to write it again. I couldn't believe a government would issue licenses and not keep a record of who has them. So if you have one, take care of it and keep track of where you got it. BTW the cost has doubled since I got the first one.

Seems like a good opportunity for a counterfeiter.

Sounds suspiciously to me like the authorities are taking a really soft approach to regulating boating of the recreational variety. Apparently sporties are or were able to print off as many fishing licences or tags off the Internet as they wanted too as well.

I fish and drive boats commercially and the amount of paper work, examinations, licencing and certifying we have to go through not to mention hailing out and in, catch monitoring cameras, GPS tracking, landing validation and auditing...

It seems to me the recreational fishing/boating enthusiast is also most apt to whine the loudest about having to register their guns.

You know what, until they take a walk in my gumboots they can cry me a river.

Edited by eyeball

Not complaining about having to demonstrate a minimum level of knowledge in order to operate a small craft. On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. I was just amazed that the government would not keep track of licenses that they themselves require.

As far as recreational fishing licenses go, you have a point. I wonder if and how they verify personal information with online registrations. It seems to me there should at least be a one time check of ID before issuing an angler number which enables you to get a license online.

It definitely makes sense from a search and rescue perspective. Resources are scarce as they are and even more so if they're off rescuing some dweeb who's lost in the fog.

As for the government's commitment to tracking anglers or ensuring their fishery is sustainable and clean, they've never had much more than the fisherman's word to go by. I wouldn't trust fishermen as far as I can spit myself.

Fishing derby's for big cash prizes give me cause for concern. Say Buddy has his limit for the day and now he's catch and release fishing but suddenly he lands the big one. What's to keep him from dumping one of his smaller one's or chalking up the landing on some fishing licence he pulled off the web using his grandmother's name?

Where the hell's the accountability?

Not complaining about having to demonstrate a minimum level of knowledge in order to operate a small craft. On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. I was just amazed that the government would not keep track of licenses that they themselves require.

well, it seems that there has been a timely response to your complaints:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/20/boat-operators-card.html

well, it seems that there has been a timely response to your complaints:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/20/boat-operators-card.html

About time but not timely enough. I just spent $61 to write it again. The government tried to do this with a program that wouldn't involve any work or cost to it. It got what it paid for.

Edited by Wilber

• 4 weeks later...
... Turns out the only records are kept by the companies who give the exams. The government has no database with a record of the card holders....

Another good example of what happens when cost cutting and privatization occurs. Look at the debate over the Federal Gun Registry.

Edited by daniel

As far as recreational fishing licenses go, you have a point. I wonder if and how they verify personal information with online registrations. It seems to me there should at least be a one time check of ID before issuing an angler number which enables you to get a license online.

It bugs me a little bit because Iv been operating boats for 30 years without a single accident. And we all have to jump through this hoop basically because of a few drunk morons, and idiots that shouldnt be in control of a boat no matter what certificates they have.

No bid deal or anything. Just another step towards the point where you have to have a "getting out of bed" certicate to be able to get up and start your day.