Obama Kills At WHCD

Guest American Woman

I for one do not fall for such obvious ploys as the Yuk Yuk a-Duck club. Anybody can make good jokes if they have a good writer. The idea behind it is to link humour with politics, so that psychologically many people who laugh will identify more with the speaker. "Laugh along with me, I am funny. I am like you."

The GWB administration attempted to use humour at times as well.

What next, Ed McMahon raucously guffawing in the background? Oh yeah, they've got that already

I for one do not fall for such obvious ploys as the Yuk Yuk a-Duck club. Anybody can make good jokes if they have a good writer. The idea behind it is to link humour with politics, so that psychologically many people who laugh will identify more with the speaker. "Laugh along with me, I am funny. I am like you."

The GWB administration attempted to use humour at times as well.

What next, Ed McMahon raucously guffawing in the background? Oh yeah, they've got that already

It's a once a year event. You need to buy yourself a sense of humor, and not take everything so seriously all the time.

When I read the title I assumed that it was a Shady thread and that an actual homicide was being alleged. :)

Very funny speech with some hilarious one-liners. I don't think it is wrong for politicians to do things that might let people see them as normal people. It seems like many people are emotionally invested in the idea that politicians they don't agree with are bad people. It is not necessarily so. It might be more constructive to think of them as nice people with whom we don't always agree. I suspect that for most of them that's probably the case, in fact.

-k

Guest American Woman

The President of The United States- nice people with whom we might disagree.

Now THERE is a laughable joke!

I can't say I'm crazy about what Obama's done so far, but I found his speech funny, entertaining, and well presented. He certainly came across as likable. At the same time, I agreed politically with what Clinton did when he was POTUS, but never could stand the guy at the time. I had a hard time watching him.

So yeah, the POTUS could be a nice person whom we disagree with. Or don't you think anyone you don't agree with politically is nice? :unsure:

Guest American Woman

I just doubt that anyone who is the President is truly nice.

Wow. I suppose that goes for any leader, then? And the Queen? No one in power can possibly be "nice," is that it? :unsure:

Wow. I suppose that goes for any leader, then? And the Queen? No one in power can possibly be "nice," is that it? :unsure:

Queen I wouldn't know about, since they inherit it but long ago perhaps, when it was competitive, then yes. Nice people get squashed. My view is, you've got to be a ruthless bastard to begin with if you want to get supreme executive power.

I take it back on the Queen- she hoards millions and millions of dollars, she has the power to make a difference but she doesn't do that. She makes sure she keeps her millions, to live in the lap of absurd luxury. Nice people won't do that.

Queen I wouldn't know about, since they inherit it but long ago perhaps, when it was competitive, then yes. Nice people get squashed. My view is, you've got to be a ruthless bastard to begin with if you want to get supreme executive power.

I take it back on the Queen- she hoards millions and millions of dollars, she has the power to make a difference but she doesn't do that. She makes sure she keeps her millions, to live in the lap of absurd luxury. Nice people won't do that.

We cannot be sure she doesn't donate money. Her constitutional position makes any kind of direct involvement difficult, and mainly just outright impossible. The Presidency is a fundamentally political position, the Sovereign of Great Britain, Canada, Australia, etc. is a fundamentally a-political job. Even openly donating money might be construed by some as political interference.

Guest American Woman

You have to be really tough, of that there is no question; but I don't agree you have to be a "ruthless bastard" to get supreme executive power. There's nothing wrong with being "tough," and that doesn't make one "ruthless." If you could give me an example that would illustrate that Obama is a "ruthless bastard," perhaps it would help your case.

So you don't think the Queen is doing anything to make a difference? You don't think she is doing anything to help anyone? You don't think she is doing any good?

It seems like many people are emotionally invested in the idea that politicians they don't agree with are bad people.

This is correct, except not mentioning that all politicians have the tendency of making people to think their political rivals are bad guys....