Jaffer had his day

Jaffer and his business partner had their day before the committee and no one believes them and at times it was a bit out of control, going back and forth. The big surprise, if there is one, the Tories are dumping the former member and NOT coming to his rescue, they have washed their hand of him and probably her. Someone told me that if she got re-elected, Harper wouldn't allow her into the party. Can a leader do that?? anyway, hearing here. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100421/guergis_jaffer_100421/20100421?hub=TopStoriesV2

Jaffer and his business partner had their day before the committee and no one believes them and at times it was a bit out of control, going back and forth. The big surprise, if there is one, the Tories are dumping the former member and NOT coming to his rescue, they have washed their hand of him and probably her. Someone told me that if she got re-elected, Harper wouldn't allow her into the party. Can a leader do that?? anyway, hearing here. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100421/guergis_jaffer_100421/20100421?hub=TopStoriesV2

First of all she'd have to receive the nomination from her own riding association. Beyond that, I'm assuming (without checking) that their choice would need the approval of Stephen Harper, as leader of the party. If he refuses to accept her nomination, then she's out of luck. I doubt it would ever get to Harper's doorstep. Rightly or wrongly, for better or for worse, her political career is over.

The big surprise, if there is one, the Tories are dumping the former member and NOT coming to his rescue, they have washed their hand of him and probably her.

It's only suprising to those who don't pay attention.

It can't be me u are talking about

You aren't paying attention. Guergis wasn't only fired from her portfolio, she was booted out of caucas...that alone should have clued you and left you without any surprises.

Jaffer had his day and the Toronto Star had their morning after:

Ex-MP Jaffer's firm sought $100M in grants from Ottawa

But seriously, asking a politician to tell the truth.

I didn't watch the proceedings, just news clips, but did Jaffer asked to be excused to go the bathroom just after he denied ever using cocaine?

Jaffer had his day and the Toronto Star had their morning after:

Ex-MP Jaffer's firm sought $100M in grants from Ottawa

You can check around the country, from Vancouver to Winnipeg to Ottawa to Montreal, the post, the globe - no one played the story as prominently as the Toronto Star.... for some reason.

You can check around the country, from Vancouver to Winnipeg to Ottawa to Montreal, the post, the globe - no one played the story as prominently as the Toronto Star.... for some reason.

"Jaffer’s business partner Patrick Glemaud initially refused to reveal the companies behind the three proposals he submitted to Conservative MP Brian Jean, parliamentary secretary to Transport Minister John Baird, who administered the $1 billion Green infrastructure fund. Then Glemaud claimed he could “not recall.”

But the Star obtained copies of the three proposals last night, revealing that Jaffer’s firm had gone to bat for Green Rite Solutions, an arm of Wright Tech Systems. The Star has previously reported that Jaffer and Toronto businessman Nazim Gillani were involved in a plan to take Wright Tech public in a $1-billion deal, which later fell through.

It’s also a company that Jaffer’s wife, then cabinet minister Helena Guergis, touted to Simcoe County officials in a letter, urging them to consider “this presentation of alternative waste management technology.”

Guergis has denied any conflict of interest, saying she wrote the letter only “after assuring myself that my husband had absolutely no business links or financial interest in (Wright Tech Systems)”.

For some reason, the Star had a scoop and they used it to feature the story prominently. Imagine that. Using a scoop before other media outlets had the full story.

I hope he's hung to dry

Really ? I'm surprised. He sounds like a clown to me, but I don't think he's particularly deserving of attention. Certainly his stupid behavior hasn't done as much damage as, say, politicians who "managed" gun registry and eHealth initiatives through hundreds of millions of waste.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the guy, but I'm surprised that you do.

Really ? I'm surprised. He sounds like a clown to me, but I don't think he's particularly deserving of attention. Certainly his stupid behavior hasn't done as much damage as, say, politicians who "managed" gun registry and eHealth initiatives through hundreds of millions of waste.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the guy, but I'm surprised that you do.

Influence peddling is much worse than incompetence. Incompetents should be fired or at least, retrained, criminals should be punished, if only as an object lesson to others.

Influence peddling is much worse than incompetence. Incompetents should be fired or at least, retrained, criminals should be punished, if only as an object lesson to others.

Yet the court let the criminal walk out the door on mere technicalities, despite the obvious offences committed. Not cocaine possession, not drunk driving, not even speeding. So much for the justice system as it applies to those with friends in "high" places

Yet the court let the criminal walk out the door on mere technicalities, despite the obvious offences committed. Not cocaine possession, not drunk driving, not even speeding. So much for the justice system as it applies to those with friends in "high" places

Those charges and why they were dropped have already been addressed and dealt with. We know now that the police bungled the arrest and the Crown bargained with his lawyer.

But feel free to repeat it as long and as many times as you like, there are plenty of people moronic enough to believe you.

Your right! Since it was an Ontario Judge and Crown ,does that mean your talking about this Liberal government here in Ontario as his friends in high places.

Look this kid Jaffer has either taken stupid pills or or he just might have done something criminal. I certainly don`t know. I am inclined to not believe him. If he has ruined his wifes career by leading her astray I really will have stronger words for him. But that is not proven as yet that she did anything deliberately that was unethical. Stupid maybe!But there is more to come.

Even if she should get the nomination in the next election from her conservative riding ,Harper can refuse to sign her nomination papers as he will likely do. Right or wrong! She is toxic material politically.

I guess it's worse ethically, but the amount of damage done is almost zero in this case. Fair enough, I just wanted to understand.

Since it was an Ontario Judge and Crown ,does that mean your talking about this Liberal government here in Ontario as his friends in high places.

No, it does not and it need not be an Ontario connection. Such connections are not "official".

And MDcancer, I believe the excuse that police made some procedural errors would typically be overlooked for ordinary persons who are lower profile. The judge and crown were being very, very cooperative with Jaffery's lawyer. Had they gone to trial it would not ultimately have mattered about the procedural error, even if charges were dismissed in the end. Evidence would have been presented in court forthwith, including the police reports. That is what they avoided. But despite any of that, if it happened to someone else and procedural errors acknowledged I believe they would not have gotten off so lightly. They would at least lose their drivers licence!

As for your "moronic people", I doubt there are many here since we all have interest in news, history and politics. But if you just mean, people who disagree with you well that's your problem and yours alone.