One more time Gun Registry

This vote might be close again but after third reading the Bill will dead or become law

Michael Ignatieff plans to whip his caucus to vote against a controversial Conservative bill to abolish the long-gun registry. MPs who do not vote with him will be punished.

Usually, MPs are allowed to vote their conscience on private member’s bills but this one is different – it has caused much consternation and embarrassment for the Liberals.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ignatieff-cracks-whip-on-gun-registry/article1539372/

I know the NDP wont whip because it sets a precedent which will kill the voice of the party. Many of the things the NDP do are private member bills like their one which passed a few days ago to limit the PM power to prorogue.

Seriously the MPs need to be allowed to vote their conscience on these bills.

Edited by punked

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the NDP wont whip because it sets a precedent which will kill the voice of the party. Many of the things the NDP do are private member bills like their one which passed a few days ago to limit the PM power to prorogue.

Seriously the MPs need to be allowed to vote their conscience on these bills.

To whip a private members bill like this demonstrates that Iggy doesn't get it. He's basically tying his MPs hands so he can look good to certain interests. It's pretty pathetic, and won't do him in any favors in the West.

The gun registry has failed in two main ways. First as predicted by me in 1997 the Gangsters never registered their guns. Second the Liberal prediction on cost has been one of the biggest boondoggels that accomplished nothing worth while in this countries history. Egad ! I don`t even own a hand gun or rifles.But a stupid law is a stupid law and to compound the stupidity by defeating this bill to scrap the Allen Rock claim to fame is beyond the pale.

Oh yah! Third it did nothing to stop crime. It did however discourage law abiding folks the pleasure of hunting and target shooting because it has become to onerous.

That settles it. It will be pretty hard to convince me to support the Liberals as long as Ignatieff remains in charge.

I wonder if the Liberals see the irony in one hand arguing that Canadian democracy is at stake in the issue of Parliament's rights and privileges, and then on the other hand to have their leader ordering their whips to shackle the Liberals to a no vote for a private members bill, one where just about everyone else is saying "it's a free vote".

I was always trying to figure out why I thought Iggy was pathetic, and I think I've got my answer. Sure is going to make deciding who to vote for harder now.

If I were a Liberal MP, I'd do it, and dare Iggy to throw me out of caucus.

So would I. If they all do it, I don't think that he'd be able to throw them out..and if he did, he probably wouldn't be long for the leader's chair....he may not be anyway.

That settles it. It will be pretty hard to convince me to support the Liberals as long as Ignatieff remains in charge.

Welcome to the dark side, or should I say the large group of Canadians that don't vote liberal.

Welcome to the dark side, or should I say the large group of Canadians that don't vote liberal.

As opposed to the darker side, or that other large group of Canadians who don't vote for the Tories.

I think Iggy's being autocratic and I won't be voting Liberal, but Harper rejects a key tenet of our constitution which keeps the Executive in check, and is thus that much worse, so I want be parking my vote there. I guess both Tory and Liberal supporters are pretty pathetic apologists without a cent of decency, goodwill or intellect, eh?

As opposed to the darker side, or that other large group of Canadians who don't vote for the Tories.

I think Iggy's being autocratic and I won't be voting Liberal, but Harper rejects a key tenet of our constitution which keeps the Executive in check, and is thus that much worse, so I want be parking my vote there. I guess both Tory and Liberal supporters are pretty pathetic apologists without a cent of decency, goodwill or intellect, eh?

I don't vote for either the Tories or Liberals. NDP all the way.

What in the post suggested that smallc would automatically come to the tories? I was welcoming smallc to the world of politics beyond the natural governing party.

I voted Conservative last time. I've said so many many times. I couldn't support the Liberals under Dion, just like I can't support the NDP under Layton. It also seems that I can't vote for the Liberals under Ignatieff. That leaves me with the option that I hate least. You see, I expect more from my party than I'm getting, and until they do better, they don't get my vote.

Oh, and I don't vote Liberal provincially either. That vote (still as of yet) goes to the NDP.