Eyjafjallajoekull

Rolls of the tongue, don't it?

All flights in and out of the UK and several other European countries have been suspended as ash from a volcanic eruption in Iceland moves south.

Up to 4,000 flights are being cancelled with airspace closed in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark among others.

The UK's air traffic control service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in UK airspace until at least 0700 BST on Friday amid fears of engine damage.

The airspace restriction was the worst in living memory, a spokesman said.

"Such a large eruption... would have the potential to severely affect air travel at high northern latitudes for six months or more.

"In relation to the current eruption, it is worth noting that the last eruption of Eyjafjallajoekull lasted more than 12 months."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8621407.stm

Boy there's a lot of speculation we can get into...special visas for those who cannot get home...affects on the climate...etc etc

Closer to home, my boss has a couple of nephews from the auld country here....they were supposed to leave this weekend....anyone wanna a guid pair of braw lads to lift heavy tings...they work for ale...

Boy there's a lot of speculation we can get into...special visas for those who cannot get home...affects on the climate...etc etc

following up on a concurrently running threads 'flights of fancy' theme, "they" should just undergo a massive, massive cloud seeding exercise to flush the ash into the oceans, while utilizing the world's navy flotillas to pump the oceans with like absorbing chemicals. Problem solved, although it presumes on agreeing on the optimum point that allows the volcano to lend a degree of it's natural cooling effect into the mix... you know, towards not disturbing that as yet unknown/undertermined "optimal global climate" that provides for the unknown/undetermined "optimal growth and advance of human civilization".

Wikipedia saves the day once again.

Quite. I suspect that they won't take them off their caribbean and aegean routes...neverthelass...by 1960 air travel was cheaper...ocean liners were for only the rich and the anachronistically challenged.

Quite. I suspect that they won't take them off their caribbean and aegean routes...neverthelass...by 1960 air travel was cheaper...ocean liners were for only the rich and the anachronistically challenged.

Ahhh.... hmmmm.... I thought cheaper.... the boat my dad went on was basically a cargo boat with some awful bunks in them. The next generation was more for the 'ascot and monacle' crowd.

Volcanoes can be deadly and even a threat to humankind though, seriously:

Supervolcanoes !

Ahhh.... hmmmm.... I thought cheaper.... the boat my dad went on was basically a cargo boat with some awful bunks in them. The next generation was more for the 'ascot and monacle' crowd.

Volcanoes can be deadly and even a threat to humankind though, seriously:

Supervolcanoes !

yup, there are two in Indonesia that could end our civilization...one of the two is suspected of having nearly done the job 70,000 years ago...human DNA testing points to a near extinction for us at that time...