Belgium to become first EU nation to ban Burka!

Belgium is on course to become the first European country to ban the burka after a parliamentary committee backed proposals to make it illegal on the grounds of national security and women's rights.

Denis Ducarme, an MP for the liberal Reformist Movement Party that drafted the ban, predicted that legislation would receive full parliamentary backing on April 22.

"Even if it's on a voluntary basis, the burka is contrary to the dignity of women. It's a walking prison," he said.

The ban will be imposed on all streets, parks, sports grounds or buildings "meant for public use or to provide services", with exceptions allowed for religious festivities if municipal authorities decide to grant them.

Belgium has been alarmed by the case of Malika El Aroud, a veiled Islamist radical and Belgian national, charged with leading the recruitment of young Brussels Muslims for suicide bombing missions.

Source

As we can see Europe is showing us the way to win the war on terror while protecting womens rights which are being trampled by Ultra conservative Islamic sects.

I hope all modern nations can see the sanity of this and follow suit.

The bill before the Belguim Parlaiment was drafted by a Liberal Party member and has the support of the left wing parties in that country.

Many Muslim countries ban them so I don't see the problem with us banning them.

Edited by Mr.Canada

As we can see Europe is showing us the way to win the war on terror while protecting womens rights which are being trampled by Ultra conservative Islamic sects.

I hope all modern nations can see the sanity of this and follow suit.

The bill before the Belguim Parlaiment was drafted by a Liberal Party member and has the support of the left wing parties in that country.

Many Muslim countries ban them so I don't see the problem with us banning them.

since when did Belguim population 10 million become the EU population 500 million or Europe population 800 million? and how does banning an item of clothing stop terror?

since when did Belguim population 10 million become the EU population 500 million or Europe population 800 million? and how does banning an item of clothing stop terror?

This isn't clothing. This is opression and is completing out of place in a secular and liberal society. Women are forced to wear this by Ultra Conservative sects of Islam. These guys make the big bad Harper look like a boy scout.

Edited by Mr.Canada

This isn't clothing. This is opression and is completing out of place in a secular and liberal society. Women are forced to wear this by Ultra Conservative sects of Islam. These guys make the big bad Harper look like a boy scout.

ya, it's still clothing....and you haven't explained how Belguim population 10 million suddenly represents all of europe 800 million or the EU 500 million..

So you support the opression of women in this manner wyly?

you still haven't answered my question, does Belgium represent Europe as you claim???

I've met many a repressed woman in Canada and there is no government interest in correcting these Christian oppressions, so being a conservative supporter can I conclude that you support the oppression of women in that manner?

That's a very leading question. I can't speak for Wyly, but my position is the State has no damned business telling anybody what they can wear, save within the narrow confines of public health, safety and to some degree decency.

in the manner of that classic question "Do you still beat your wife?"

women have their own mind if they accept being isolated what can we do, they can walk away and the state will support them but they don't...

I knew a women years ago who was being beaten by her boyfriend, we(friends) told her if she wanted to leave the situation we'd help her and deal with the idiot on a level he'd understand...but she didn't, she married him...

Well it's sad that you support this archaic custom of having women being forced to wear these portable prisons. After so mucg progress that has been made for women in this country you want to put women back into the seventh century. Shame on you.

I'm happy to report that you are in the minority in this country as the majority of Canadians by a large percentage want to see this oppressive prison like mask banned.

Read what the topic says. "Belgium to become first EU nation to ban Burka!". Belgium is lighting the way for the rest of Europe to ban them in their own respective countries. The ban has overwhelming support of the the public...Bravo!

Well it's sad that you support this archaic custom of having women being forced to wear these portable prisons. After so mucg progress that has been made for women in this country you want to put women back into the seventh century. Shame on you.

I'm happy to report that you are in the minority in this country as the majority of Canadians by a large percentage want to see this oppressive prison like mask banned.

Read what the topic says. "Belgium to become first EU nation to ban Burka!". Belgium is lighting the way for the rest of Europe to ban them in their own respective countries. The ban has overwhelming support of the the public...Bravo!

I think the women should be able to make the choice about whether they want to wear it or not. How revolutionary is that! Whether it's men in the middle east forcing them to wear it or men in the west legislating they can't wear it, it's never usually a woman that makes the call. I've known many people who wear the burka who willingly choose to wear it.

read what you posted "As we can see Europe is showing us the way"...you make assumptions on what europe intends and what I believe to suit your arguement... Edited by wyly

What is sad is your wilful distortion of what other people have said. What part of "the State has no business dictating what women can or can't wear" can;t you understand?

Guest American Woman

I think the women should be able to make the choice about whether they want to wear it or not. How revolutionary is that! Whether it's men in the middle east forcing them to wear it or men in the west legislating they can't wear it, it's never usually a woman that makes the call. I've known many people who wear the burka who willingly choose to wear it.

Not sure it's just men making the call in the west. I would hope there are some women involved in these nation's governments.

The ban isn't specifically for the Burka, but anything that hides the face in public. The reason given is it's a threat to public safety not to be able to identify people. Presumably this will ban ski masks, too.

Just because certain women may "choose" to wear a Burka doesn't mean anything. They may have grown up in a culture which instills their subservience and status of property into them, and they may simply be conditioned to the point where they themselves "choose" to wear such a thing, rather than constantly having to be "forced" to wear it.

A battered and abused wife may choose to stay with her abusive husband, and yet the state would indeed intervene in such a case. A confused teenager may "choose" a life of homelessness and drug addiction, and yet the state often tries to intervene with such choices. Just because someone who is in a certain unfortunate situation makes a bad choice, does not mean that that choice has to be respected. Certain choices can be recognized as poor ones, and acted against.

Now, I am not saying that the choice to wear a Burka necessarily falls into the same category. But the argument could certainly be made that many women who "choose" to wear Burkas are in fact victims of brain washing and that their choices are thus not really valid.