Michigan Muslims Join Jews for Christmas Day Mitzvah

jbg

Merry Christmas to all. This story (link) should spread a little Christmas cheer!!! And show that Fox News is not a bigoted organization.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

DETROIT — Many Jews consider Christmas Day an opportunity to serve their community while Christian neighbors celebrate their holiday. This year, what's also known as Mitzvah Day in southeast Michigan is getting an added boost from Muslims.

For the first time, about 40 Muslims are expected to join 900 Jews for what they call their largest annual day of volunteering. Leaders say it's a small but significant step in diffusing tensions and promoting good will between the religions — particularly on a day that is sacred to Christianity, the third Abrahamic faith.

Mitzvah Day, a nearly 20-year tradition in the Detroit area also practiced in other communities, is so named because Mitzvah means "commandment" in Hebrew and is generally translated as a good deed.

The new partnership stemmed from a recent meeting between members of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Michigan, the Jewish Community Relations Council and the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit — which said it was unaware of any similar Mitzvah Day alliances.

(snip)

Merry Christmas to all. This story (link) should spread a little Christmas cheer!!! And show that Fox News is not a bigoted organization.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

DETROIT — Many Jews consider Christmas Day an opportunity to serve their community while Christian neighbors celebrate their holiday. This year, what's also known as Mitzvah Day in southeast Michigan is getting an added boost from Muslims.

For the first time, about 40 Muslims are expected to join 900 Jews for what they call their largest annual day of volunteering. Leaders say it's a small but significant step in diffusing tensions and promoting good will between the religions — particularly on a day that is sacred to Christianity, the third Abrahamic faith.

Mitzvah Day, a nearly 20-year tradition in the Detroit area also practiced in other communities, is so named because Mitzvah means "commandment" in Hebrew and is generally translated as a good deed.

The new partnership stemmed from a recent meeting between members of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Michigan, the Jewish Community Relations Council and the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit — which said it was unaware of any similar Mitzvah Day alliances.

(snip)

I like this story too, jbg.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

About time that the dumb and stubborn Jews and arrogant Muslims understood that the true king of Judea was a wise and good teacher...these two groups have hated Jesus the Christ for a couple of thousand years and I will tell you why - When Pontius Pilate put the harold above the head of the tortured Christ he knew exactly what was going on..."I have written what I have written..and no way am I going to remove the truth" - to para pharse ---------KING OF THE JEWS (Judeans) ............. SO...it was never about a man saying he was God...It was about true and real property ownership ...the kingdom of Judea was the personal property of Jesus..genetically speaking and politically speaking - Rome knew that - the semites (Arab and Jew) knew that..they killed Jesus because they wanted the land..and knew as long as he stood in the way as rightful heir that they would never fully own the property ..........To this day the area of Judea is still up for grabs and no one owns it - because it is stolen property through murder.

About time that the dumb and stubborn Jews and arrogant Muslims understood that the true king of Judea was a wise and good teacher...these two groups have hated Jesus the Christ for a couple of thousand years and I will tell you why - When Pontius Pilate put the harold above the head of the tortured Christ he knew exactly what was going on..."I have written what I have written..and no way am I going to remove the truth" - to para pharse ---------KING OF THE JEWS (Judeans) ............. SO...it was never about a man saying he was God...It was about true and real property ownership ...the kingdom of Judea was the personal property of Jesus..genetically speaking and politically speaking - Rome knew that - the semites (Arab and Jew) knew that..they killed Jesus because they wanted the land..and knew as long as he stood in the way as rightful heir that they would never fully own the property ..........To this day the area of Judea is still up for grabs and no one owns it - because it is stolen property through murder.

Yeah, if it weren't for the Christ-killers and the Musselmen, the (Christian) world would be a place of loveliness and peace everlasting.....

:blink:

Oh good grief, Rome didn't give a crap about Jesus's claims, mainly because his supposed lineage wasn't written down until after he was dead (and even then the Gospels give two independent lineages). At best Pilate didn't see him as a criminal, if the story is even true, but Jesus had no more claim to Judea than any other Jew who sprang from David's loins. Rome conquered lots of places, not giving a sweet damn about who had owned them before. Poor old Cleopatra found that one the hard way when she bet on the wrong horse.

It's a welcome step that should improve relations between different religions at least in the west.

And that's one reason why I posted this thread.

Following up, just last night I was at an interfaith forum on community organization. The event was held at a church in White Plains. In addition to numerous representatives of synagogues and churches of all Christian denominations were two Muslims. I made a point of talking to them afterwords.

We disagreed profoundly on one issue. They were opposed to having residents of other towns in the area weighing in on another town's or village's local issues. I disagreed. But it was a peaceful, reasoned disagreement. The fact that they were Muslims, one of Pakistani descent and one from Pakistan, didn't make a difference.

All religions should work together that way.

All religions should work together that way.

I agree, unfortunately the 'live and let live' mantra is not said enough these days. We all understand there are differences between religions, but we should be talking about the similarities instead of the differences. That would bring them closer together, and maybe make people understand that there really is not much difference overall between them all.

As an agnostic/atheist, I applaud and approve the dialogue between those groups.

• 2 months later...

Geez, this is really new for you?

Synagogues and Mosques have been doing youth exchanges here for years - where teenagers will go to the other place of worship, learn a few things, break bread, and then invite the folks over to their place the next week.

What kind of bubble do you live in?

What kind of bubble do you live in?

For one thing I posted this a year ago. For another thing I posted it in order to have something positive to say about Muslims.

Conclusion; you're a bitter, divisive screen name human being.

Yeah, if it weren't for the Christ-killers and the Musselmen, the (Christian) world would be a place of loveliness and peace everlasting.....

:blink:

That empire called Rome was the "Christ killer" - the pesky Jews really had no power or authority - so the Jew hating is based on slanderous myth - as for the Muslims and the Jews joining up - they are both semites and they might as well make friends - Just because one family member stole a bag of carrots from another family member 3000 years ago is not a good enough reason to keep up this blood feud.

For one thing I posted this a year ago. For another thing I posted it in order to have something positive to say about Muslims.

Conclusion; you're a bitter, divisive screen name human being.

Not really - it's just my original thesis about you keeps proving true: most of your worldview about Muslims is determined by the fact that you have virtually zero first-hand experience socializing with Muslims, hence why it's news to you that there's interfaith dialogue between Muslims and Jews.

That's why you immediately go to broad generalizations as a default, usually influenced by blatantly anti-Islamic sites. You're actually not much different from those Muslims who've never met a Jew before and jump to conclusions based on anti-semitic propaganda.

And spare me the BS about how you're trying to turn over a new leaf. You post things almost daily about how evil and violent all of Islam is - one post like this doesn't make much of a difference.

Edited by JB Globe

Not really - it's just my original thesis about you keeps proving true: most of your worldview about Muslims is determined by the fact that you have virtually zero first-hand experience socializing with Muslims, hence why it's news to you that there's interfaith dialogue between Muslims and Jews.

I actually worked on community organizing with a Muslim immigrant from Pakistan. Most immigrants to the U.S. want to ge away from the medieval nonesense prevalent in their home countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12110372

Up to 100,000 converts to Islam are living in the UK, with white women leading the growing number of people embracing the Muslim faith, according to a report by Kevin Brice of Swansea University.

The study, on behalf of the Faith Matters organisation, found 5,200 people converted to Islam in the UK last year.

A survey of 122 converts last year showed 56% were white British, with women making up 62% of respondents.

One convert in Wales, Jane, talks to Felicity Evans of BBC Radio Wales about why she chose to follow the faith and change her life.