Making Outsourcing Work for Canada

whowhere

What do Canadians have to do with India getting Canada's rightful GDP?

What exactly makes that GDP "rightfully" Canada's? Just because you don't like where a company spends its funds, doesn't imply you should have the right to dictate how those funds should be spent.

If It is required for a business to "FUNCTION" then are to hire Canadians to do the work.

Why? Just because you say so? If you expect that you should have your own choices on where to spend your funds, why shouldn't companies have that same choice?

If the company does not require IT 24/7 they can look up an IT company up in the Yellowpages and call a canadian company in to help them out.

How exactly do you define a company as "canadian"? Because it is HQ in canada? Because they employ canadians? Because it is owned by canadians? How?

It would seem to be you are advocating for policies that if applied on an individual-level instead of a company-level, would be called racism.

As for forcing the Use of Canadian Currency when paying for operational business costs within the borders of Canada is valid.

You claim that it is "valid", but what does that mean? Just because you say so, doesn't make it so. You have not address any points on how the currency control would work. Do you even have one example of a country implementing the kind of currrency control you are talking about without having a totalatiarian government?

What I am saying If a company insist on outsourcing their operational customer service department in turn cheating Canada out of Income tax revenue then I say this outsourced company should compensate Canada with an outsource tax, be required to pay all transaction in Canadian Currency within Canada, and have money destined for outsourced companies flow through a Government Clearing Agency. Why? because the recipient will receive printed money from the Canadian mint and the sent in money will be used to fund Canada's infrastructure and technological advancement. The US has employing this strategy for years.

Your posts are filled with hyperbole. Canada isn't being "cheated". Companies have the free choice to spend where they decide it is most effective. You seem to have a sense of entitlement that companies owe you something and are obligated to spend in Canada. The kind of forced society you seem to advocate is appalling in its lack of regard for freedom.

BTW, you claim that the "US has employing this strategy for years" but yet in your opening post you state "its time Canada and the US wake up and do something about this scourage". How well has it worked in the US?

What I talking about is capitalizing on the Greed of Corporations. Every dollars paid for outsourced work that ought to have been done in Canada is taxed to compensate for lost income taxes. Every dollar paid to an outsource company must be paid in Canadian currency and has to flow through a Government Clearing Agency. Again, the outsourced company will receive printed money from the Canadian mint and the sent in money by the outsourced company used to fund infrastructure and technological development. This is all about leverage, Canada and Canadians getting their due from greedy selfish corporations. Hire Canadian, run your business on the level, and this will be of no concern to the corporation.

Wow, what a sense of entitlement. Instead of whinging about how you are hard done by because company's are making choices you are not happy with, go form your own company, hire canadian if you so wish. Ultimately the reason so many companies outsource is because it offers them competitive advantage.

You are somewhat naive. Think about it, the US accumulated a trillion dollars in lent money from China. How this money made its way into the US economy who knows. But I guarantee a trillion dollars pushed out in the US economy was stimulating and touching. When the going got tough and china wanted its money, the US said sure, here's 1 trillion printed dollars. The US dollar is still holding strong.

The only reason China holds US dollars is because they choose to do so. They are not idiots and it is not because they are forced to do so. If they decide to change their currency of choice, there is very little the US can do about it and it will fall in value. In the countries which outsourcing takes place, the Canadian dollar is even less relevant than the US dollar. There is no way you or the Canadian government has of forcing them to hold CAD. Your proposition is nonsense.

Get with the program, it's not about just collecting taxes.

Collecting taxes seems to be only a small part of your program driven by a sense of entitlement on what companies "owe" you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way forward is to create "new jobs". There are two ways to do that, with private companies or through public effort. Crown corporations both federal and provincial can do this. Yet the questions is bigger than any solution yet proposed and that is what do we do?

Do we compete on international levels ? Do we produce goods or services?

There's no logic here. You don't have to employ more than one person to be a business, if you're self-employed. The banks are charged with maximizing profits for their shareholders. It's their job to do things as cheaply as possible, so why are you draping the profit motive in some kind of evil conspiracy. The banks have no duty to not 'deprive Canadians of employment'.

The tax evasion charge is pure fantasy, and with that this thread really ceases to be serious.

And Canada as a Country has a vested interest in ensuring it receives its tax Revenue and Canada's Society is Growing. A growing Society requires Jobs. People who work and consume are the backbone of Canada not the cheaters. The cheaters are the banks hiring India to do work that Canadians are willing and capable of doing. Canadians and the Governments are not obliged to subsidize cheating corporations.

What exactly makes that GDP "rightfully" Canada's? Just because you don't like where a company spends its funds, doesn't imply you should have the right to dictate how those funds should be spent.

It is Canada's rightful GDP because Canada generated the Revenue paid for the Product or Service sold.

To Get a product or service to market is coordination of operational departments. If any operational department is outsource outside of Canada that outsourcing should be subject to a tariff to compensate Canada for the lost income tax revenue. Take GST, GST does not apply to inputs to business they are exempt. However, GST is charged on the final product or Service. Same logic, I am sure you will get it sooner or later.

Why? Just because you say so? If you expect that you should have your own choices on where to spend your funds, why shouldn't companies have that same choice?

Yes within Canada and sustaining Canada's economy, not India's or China's.

How exactly do you define a company as "canadian"? Because it is HQ in canada? Because they employ canadians? Because it is owned by canadians? How?

Ownership is irrelevant. You open a facility/office in Canada to produce a product or service you must utilize Canadians or Canadian businesses to help you get your product or service to market. That means a receptionist must be answering the phone within Canada. That means customer service is answered within Canada. That means data entry of recievables is done within Canada. If company outsources an operational department they ought to compensate Canada for lost incomes taxes through an outsourcing tariff.

It would seem to be you are advocating for policies that if applied on an individual-level instead of a company-level, would be called racism.

And the us slapping tariffs on Canadian softwoood lumber and restricted the imports of Canadian Steel was a violation of Nafta? Somehow the US did it. It's called protecting your economy. There is nothing wrong with Canada looking after its interests. It's Canada GDP, why should we give it away to other Countries. We have a symbiotic relationship with the US and because of this Canada does well. Doing this, Canada will do better ;)

You claim that it is "valid", but what does that mean? Just because you say so, doesn't make it so. You have not address any points on how the currency control would work. Do you even have one example of a country implementing the kind of currrency control you are talking about without having a totalatiarian government?

If I travel to the US I require US money to purchase anything. If a company from India wants to do work for a Canadian company they should accept Canadian Currency as payment. Same Idea. What this Company does with the Canadian Currency is there problem. They can convert it or better find something to buy from Canada with it!!

Your posts are filled with hyperbole. Canada isn't being "cheated". Companies have the free choice to spend where they decide it is most effective. You seem to have a sense of entitlement that companies owe you something and are obligated to spend in Canada. The kind of forced society you seem to advocate is appalling in its lack of regard for freedom.

I support Free Trade. That means a finished product or Service created in Canada can be sold into the US or anywhere free of tariffs. I don't support the outsourcing of inputs to other countries outside of Canada required to get a product or service to market. This wrong and evil in my mind and has to be stopped with all the mights of the Governments around the world. The best way to stop this practice is to put a tarriff on outsourcing of inputs period.

BTW, you claim that the "US has employing this strategy for years" but yet in your opening post you state "its time Canada and the US wake up and do something about this scourage". How well has it worked in the US?

Yeah the strategy of selling debt to unsuspecting world buyers (latest victim china) and repaying them with printed money. It's like 2-4-1 pizza. Leverage buddy.

Wow, what a sense of entitlement. Instead of whinging about how you are hard done by because company's are making choices you are not happy with, go form your own company, hire canadian if you so wish. Ultimately the reason so many companies outsource is because it offers them competitive advantage.

Paying the

The only reason China holds US dollars is because they choose to do so. They are not idiots and it is not because they are forced to do so. If they decide to change their currency of choice, there is very little the US can do about it and it will fall in value. In the countries which outsourcing takes place, the Canadian dollar is even less relevant than the US dollar. There is no way you or the Canadian government has of forcing them to hold CAD. Your proposition is nonsense.

This is where you are a simpleton. China trades in the Billions with the US via their exports to the US. The money received from these transactions was probably parked in US treasuries. The US thought sweeeeet. So they cycled China's money around the US economy and when it came time to pay the US said here, have some printed money. If a company wants to do work on behalf of Canadian Company they have to accept being paid Canadian money. Not unreasonable. They don't like don't do the work! Canadians will not have a problem with that. ;)

Collecting taxes seems to be only a small part of your program driven by a sense of entitlement on what companies "owe" you.

The only one who thinks they are entitled is the corporation that takes from the Canadian economy and gives nothing back. Canadians don't owe these low life corporations anything and why should Canadians subsidize corporate profits.

What I have put forward makes clear sense and is acceptable in a Free trade Globalized world.

I support Free Trade. That means a finished product or Service created in Canada can be sold into the US or anywhere free of tariffs.
I have ignored this thread because it is so absurd. But there are couple key points:

1) A lot of Canadian companies make money selling services abroad. i.e. foreign companies outsource services to Canada and employee Canadians. I guarantee that any job 'protected' by restricting outsourcing will result in at least one lost as other countries reciprocate.

2) Services are as important as physical goods. If you support free trade then you must support free trade in services too. If you don't then you don't support free trade so stop pretending you do.

Riverwind - I've also avoided this thread due to its absurdity. Thankfully I'm not alone! I'm just not sure I have the energy or willpower to deal with whowhere's craziness. Maybe I'll jump into this thread tomorrow or the next day. If I can garner the patience to deal with whowhere, I may engage. Aren't there any economists in here who can address the major fallacies in this thread? Perhaps they're avoiding the absurdity, as well.

And Canada as a Country has a vested interest in ensuring it receives its tax Revenue and Canada's Society is Growing. A growing Society requires Jobs. People who work and consume are the backbone of Canada not the cheaters. The cheaters are the banks hiring India to do work that Canadians are willing and capable of doing. Canadians and the Governments are not obliged to subsidize cheating corporations.

I'm not sure why you have to imbue the banks with an evil motive. Are Canadians who shop at Wal-Mart, and purchase goods produced in China similarly cheating ? It's hard to see the difference between the two actions - those of consumers and of the banks. Both are taking advantage of liberalized trade.

Actually, seeing what the other posters have said - this question seems to be already have been asked.

Your position seems to be that the banks are evil.

I'm onside with wanting to provide a better economic environment for Canadians and providing jobs, a tax base and so on. But encouraging Canadian businesses to reduce productivity isn't the way. I would prefer letting them profit from productivity, and directing the profits towards some other area we can develop.

[Edited:

You seem to have answered this from Renegade:

"If you expect that you should have your own choices on where to spend your funds, why shouldn't companies have that same choice?"

"Yes within Canada and sustaining Canada's economy, not India's or China's."

So then - you're proposing isolationism ?

As such, the title of this thread is a little misleading. It's really about discouraging outsourcing and free trade.]

Edited by Michael Hardner

People People People, Outsourcing Inputs outside of Canada to get a product or service to market Is wrong and ought to be taxed to make up for lost income taxes and these transactions should be done in Canadian Currency. Free Trade on Finished products or Turn key services such as engineering architecture, security, or whatever originating from Canada or vice versa with another Country is ok. The problem is when you employ people or contract companies outside of Canada to this product or service to market. My point is clear as water. Tax Tax Tax....

Why should Canadians be denied employment opportunities and pay higher taxes to subsidize these cheating corporations. Screw them.

People People People, Outsourcing Inputs outside of Canada to get a product or service to market Is wrong and ought to be taxed to make up for lost income taxes and these transactions should be done in Canadian Currency. Free Trade on Finished products or Turn key services such as engineering architecture, security, or whatever originating from Canada or vice versa with another Country is ok. The problem is when you employ people or contract companies outside of Canada to this product or service to market. My point is clear as water. Tax Tax Tax....

Why should Canadians be denied employment opportunities and pay higher taxes to subsidize these cheating corporations. Screw them.

You've dodged the question about individual consumers again...

You've dodged the question about individual consumers again...

What about them? What do they have to do with a company employing other Countries people to do their work. In the the Case of the Saskatechewan wheat board throwing a 140 It workers out and using a company in India to do the work deserves to be hit with a tariff to compensate Canada for the lost income tax revenue.

Here's the Litmus test

If its one off work, project based, that's not operational. Ie a company wants to set up a new database or create a new website. Fine contract out. But if a company wants to outsource their cost of doing business that's a problem. Operational business units required to operate cannot be outsourced and if it is then that company is a tax evader.

They too are giving employment to foreigners, who will not be paying taxes in Canada. So we should seal up the border, right ?

Ok first of all, have you gone to the US, bought something and brought it back? If you have you would know you will have to pay PST and GST on the purchases made. Same thing if a company goes to India and outsources "employment" type work Canada is entitled to its income tax revenue from the Company outsourcing.

Ok first of all, have you gone to the US, bought something and brought it back? If you have you would know you will have to pay PST and GST on the purchases made. Same thing if a company goes to India and outsources "employment" type work Canada is entitled to its income tax revenue from the Company outsourcing.

Income tax revenue is more than just PST and GST. Why don't you tax the import to make up for the lost income tax on the workers' wages ? One pair of jeans takes one hour to make, which would have given the Canadian government $5 in income tax revenue, so add an import tariff on the jeans. It seems consistent.

But the problem is that you're rewarding companies that can't compete by punishing the consumer. Or is it that you're subsidizing fair wages in Canada versus sweat shop wages from overseas ?

It's time Canada stops propping up the GDP of other Countries by allowing them to outsource Canadian work. The dot com era was suppose to make Canada a knowledge based economy and that industry went bust for Canada and has since become low paying.
You are not getting it. To operate a business you must employe people to provide your business for the Canadian economy or exports. Take a bank, they have cheques deposited at ATM machines. To process these cheques they require employees to perform data entry. There is no way around this unless they have figured out a way to automate this task. What is happening is the Banks are outsourcing this work to low GDP countries and depriving this employment from Canadians. This is what I am talking about if company deliberately bypasses the Canadian Labour market they should he held on tax evasion and penalized accordingly.

---

I agree WhoWhere. We must stop outsourcing all our energy needs to the Sun.

The Sun provides light and heat using less than slave labour rates. It's free! How can Canadian workers compete against such a "foreign" provider. When competing with the Sun, this is a race to the bottom. We must absolutely stop all out-sourcing of heat and light work to the Sun. Any Canadian with a window, must block it. Canadians should instead purchase all light and heat from other Canadians instead of from the Sun.

If Canada were to outsource all its light and heat industries to the Sun, what would happen to Canada's economy? We would be impoverished.

Put Canada in the dark! Protect our workers against the Sun's cheap labour!

----

WhoWhere, you don't understand that Canada is better off if Canada finds a better way to do things.

For example, if someone could invent a way to remove snow, all Canadians would benefit. True, snow removal workers would lose their jobs - but Canada would benefit from their work placed elsewhere.

According to your logic, WhoWhere, all Canadians would still be on farms ploughing fields with oxen. How many jobs were lost (out-sourced) with the invention of the tractor?

Fortunately, we now design buildings to take advantage of the Sun's free light and heat. We would be foolish to refuse other deals.

Edited by August1991

---

I agree WhoWhere. We must stop outsourcing all our energy needs to the Sun.

The Sun provides light and heat using less than slave labour rates. It's free! How can Canadian workers compete against such a "foreign" provider. When competing with the Sun, this is a race to the bottom. We must absolutely stop all out-sourcing of heat and light work to the Sun. Any Canadian with a window, must block it. Canadians should instead purchase all light and heat from other Canadians instead of from the Sun.

If Canada were to outsource all its light and heat industries to the Sun, what would happen to Canada's economy? We would be impoverished.

Put Canada in the dark! Protect our workers against the Sun's cheap labour!

----

WhoWhere, you don't understand that Canada is better off if Canada finds a better way to do things.

For example, if someone could invent a way to remove snow, all Canadians would benefit. True, snow removal workers would lose their jobs - but Canada would benefit from their work placed elsewhere.

According to your logic, WhoWhere, all Canadians would still be on farms ploughing fields with oxen. How many jobs were lost (out-sourced) with the invention of the tractor?

Fortunately, we now design buildings to take advantage of the Sun's free light and heat. We would be foolish to refuse other deals.

what you have said is :huh: ??? Anyway how is Canadians better off by a company outsourcing work to china or India as opposed to hiring a Canadian to do the Work? Canadians are being cheated on two fronts by these companies. 1# They are denied their rightful employment opportunities. 2# They are subsidizing these cheating corporations by paying higher taxes in general. Why should a robber baron company take money out Canada's economy and channel it who knows where. It's Canada's money. These companies are not investing in Canada, they are cheating Canada. The only way a company can jusify outsourcing is for every job outsourced they provide a position in Research and Development and other advanced position. Not happening, all these care about is driving their input costs down and running away with the profits. Screw them.

what you have said is :huh: ??? Anyway how is Canadians better off by a company outsourcing work to china or India as opposed to hiring a Canadian to do the Work? Canadians are being cheated on two fronts by these companies. 1# They are denied their rightful employment opportunities. 2# They are subsidizing these cheating corporations by paying higher taxes in general. Why should a robber baron company take money out Canada's economy and channel it who knows where. It's Canada's money. These companies are not investing in Canada, they are cheating Canada. The only way a company can jusify outsourcing is for every job outsourced they provide a position in Research and Development and other advanced position. Not happening, all these care about is driving their input costs down and running away with the profits. Screw them.

The answer, WW, is countries have what is called a natural competitive advantage in certain areas. The idea is to allow countries to thrive in those areas, and not punish them for having that advantage.

Why should the economy be structured to encourage countries to devote extra resources in areas where they can't compete ?

The answer, WW, is countries have what is called a natural competitive advantage in certain areas. The idea is to allow countries to thrive in those areas, and not punish them for having that advantage.

Why should the economy be structured to encourage countries to devote extra resources in areas where they can't compete ?

Come on, you can't tell me a company who chooses to channel their operational functions such as customer service to another Country in a move to save money is good for Canada. How is it? Yes the corporation may have higher profits but at whose expense? I don't want to subsidize selfish corporations through paying higher taxes because they are exploiting Canada by outsourcing outside of Canada and cheating Canada out of its Income Tax Revenue.

Really, How Can Jim Flaherty and Steven Harper sleep at night while these companies are raping and plundering Canada's GDP. An outsourcing Tax is the way to stop this the evil scourage of the world which is as evil as slavery. The world must stand firm against this evil and stamp it out. Businesses have to compete based on acumen and intellect not by exploiting and cheating. The world cannot be sustained on that model.

The right thing for harper to do is to raise this issue at the upcoming G8/G20 meeting in Toronto. Collectively they can reshape this world and right the Global Tiller and put an end to this scourage.

what you have said is :huh: ??? Anyway how is Canadians better off by a company outsourcing work to china or India as opposed to hiring a Canadian to do the Work?
How is Canada better by "outsourcing" our light and heat needs to the sun?

By your logic, whowhere, we should prevent Canadians from using sunlight - since sunlight is cheap labour that destroys Canadian jobs providing light bulbs and heat.

Whowhere, think how many jobs we could create if Canadians did not have access to the Sun! We should block the Sun and create jobs to manufacture light bulbs and generate heat.

Edited by August1991

Come on, you can't tell me a company who chooses to channel their operational functions such as customer service to another Country in a move to save money is good for Canada. How is it? Yes the corporation may have higher profits but at whose expense? I don't want to subsidize selfish corporations through paying higher taxes because they are exploiting Canada by outsourcing outside of Canada and cheating Canada out of its Income Tax Revenue.

Really, How Can Jim Flaherty and Steven Harper sleep at night while these companies are raping and plundering Canada's GDP. An outsourcing Tax is the way to stop this the evil scourage of the world which is as evil as slavery. The world must stand firm against this evil and stamp it out. Businesses have to compete based on acumen and intellect not by exploiting and cheating. The world cannot be sustained on that model.

The right thing for harper to do is to raise this issue at the upcoming G8/G20 meeting in Toronto. Collectively they can reshape this world and right the Global Tiller and put an end to this scourage.

WW,

It's good because everybody pays less. Wal-Mart is another example. If it weren't "good" (the quotes are there because I"m talking about the economic "good", not personal values or what is actually good for the community on the whole) then people wouldn't shop there.

The costs are lower, so people do shop there and more trade happens. That's a 50,000 ft explanation of the economics.

WW,

It's good because everybody pays less. Wal-Mart is another example. If it weren't "good" (the quotes are there because I"m talking about the economic "good", not personal values or what is actually good for the community on the whole) then people wouldn't shop there.

The costs are lower, so people do shop there and more trade happens. That's a 50,000 ft explanation of the economics.

Actually, Wal mart is Canada's largest employer or the second largest employer!!! On that how is Walmart outsourcing operational employment to other Countries? Does Walmart have Warehouses sprinkled on the US side of the border and uses US trucking companies to bring products to the shelves of their stores. Does walmart Canada route calls to their location stores to people outside of Canada? NO! Walmart from what I see is good and straight forward. Yes their shelves are products from China or wherever but the products on their shelves is not their "operational business" How they answer the phone at their stores. How they store their merchadise to get it to the stores. How they ship their products within Canada are all operational components. If anyone of these areas is done outside of Canada than they to should have to compensate Canada for lost income tax revenue.

Using walmart has not helped your argument.

How is Canada better by "outsourcing" our light and heat needs to the sun?

By your logic, whowhere, we should prevent Canadians from using sunlight - since sunlight is cheap labour that destroys Canadian jobs providing light bulbs and heat.

Whowhere, think how many jobs we could create if Canadians did not have access to the Sun! We should block the Sun and create jobs to manufacture light bulbs and generate heat.

Did the institution let you out? You make no sense. How is Canadians and Canada better off if I call a bank and their phones are answered by companies located in India?

Canada's GDP is being routed to India when it should have been channeled in Highering Canadians or Contracting Canadian Companies to do the work. If companies pursue this way of operating their business they owe Canada for lost income tax Revenue. As a Canadian Citizen if I go the US or Anywhere and bring products back to Canada they are subject to GST and PST. Whether a company employs a Canadian to answer the phone or illegally employs someone from india to Answer the phone for a bank the bank owes Revenue Canada Income Taxes for that employment. Not only are these companies cheating Canada out of Income Taxes they are cheating Canada's economy out of money that should have been earned and spent in Canada. Hard Working Canadians does not owe India are GDP dollars. If companies of another country wants a piece of Canada's GDP they will have to get their products onto the shelves of Walmart or whoever or promote their service through normal market channels. Any other way the company is illegally doing business with a Canadian company and the Canadian Company outsourcing is a tax cheater.

Actually, Wal mart is Canada's largest employer or the second largest employer!!! On that how is Walmart outsourcing operational employment to other Countries? Does Walmart have Warehouses sprinkled on the US side of the border and uses US trucking companies to bring products to the shelves of their stores. Does walmart Canada route calls to their location stores to people outside of Canada? NO! Walmart from what I see is good and straight forward. Yes their shelves are products from China or wherever but the products on their shelves is not their "operational business" How they answer the phone at their stores. How they store their merchadise to get it to the stores. How they ship their products within Canada are all operational components. If anyone of these areas is done outside of Canada than they to should have to compensate Canada for lost income tax revenue.

Using walmart has not helped your argument.

I wasn't trying to help my argument, I was explaining 'economic good'. But to address your concern - Wal-Mart pays low pages, and therefore "cheats" (your term) Canada out of income tax.

The economic good that there is, is lower prices for consumers to answer your previous question. The Wal Mart example was an illustration of that.

I wasn't trying to help my argument, I was explaining 'economic good'. But to address your concern - Wal-Mart pays low pages, and therefore "cheats" (your term) Canada out of income tax.

The economic good that there is, is lower prices for consumers to answer your previous question. The Wal Mart example was an illustration of that.

Right......Walmart is an example of a good capitalistic business. They recognize that their people should not be overpaid for what they do. If the people at Walmart were paid more than what they are what do you think would happen to retail prices? If Walmart people get paid more than people working at Honda do assembly would have to have their wages increased proportionally to compensate for your communist unbalanced economics. No walmart does not cheat Canada or Canadians in paying low wages because the employment is being done in Canada and the consumer is able to afford to buy merchandise from their stores.

What you saying does not match what I am talking about. Walmart does not outsource operational departments outside of Canada the Banks are and other companies. They are cheating Canada out of its GDP and cheating Canada out of income tax revenue.