British Columbia Health Minister Cuts Crisis Lines

Over and over, I hear British Columbia’s Minister of Health Kevin Falcon tell us he is following “best practices,” when he explains why certain services, such as six community based crisis lines on Vancouver Island, have been dismantled. The term is held up as a rationale for cuts to an existing and responsive tried and true system of delivery of services, particularly in regard to the Nuu-Chah-Nulth on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Under the guise of “best practices,” the existing crisis-line services that have direct ties in to each of the communities are being replaced with a central call centre. The easy to remember number 811, so goes the rationale, will make it more convenient for those in crisis to get through for the help they need. That the call centre will be staffed by the lowest bidder for the job will make for great savings in Falcon’s system. Anyone who’s paid attention to the abject failure of corporations such as Telus to deliver useful service to its customers through their outsourced call centres should quickly understand the fundamental differences in service that this shift by the Minister of Health implies. The difference is often inconvenient and frustrating when dealing with one’s phone or internet service; it can be a matter of life and death when dealing with a crisis line for those living in remote regions whose only contact is the person on the other end of the line. It can make all the difference for the individual in crisis if the voice on the other end of the line is familiar with the community, the situation, and the unique social narrative that defines small and remote communities.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://informedvote.ca/2009/11/12/british-columbia-health-minister-kevin-falcon-cuts-crisis-lines-in-first-nations-communities/

Is this something we should be concerned about? It's not an issue I am entirely familiar with and has received fairly little media attention in Ontario. What are your thoughts?

Edited by politicslvr

You can read the rest of the article here: http://informedvote.ca/2009/11/12/british-columbia-health-minister-kevin-falcon-cuts-crisis-lines-in-first-nations-communities/

Is this something we should be concerned about? It's not an issue I am entirely familiar with and has received fairly little media attention in Ontario. What are your thoughts?

Yes we should be concerned. Its part and parcel of the ongoing abandonment and marginalization of the most vulnerable people in our society. Its not just First Nations that are affected by this and its certainly not just provincial governments that are the culprits either.

One local village council where I live on the WCVI for example was prompted by local NIMBY's to vote down a proposal to build an assisted living facility for people here that are recovering from mental illness. Funding for homeless shelters in Port Alberni and elsewhere on the Island are also being cut. I don't think this is entirely due to poor economic times and tight government budgets.

The local angle on the story in this thread is an intriguing one. I'd hate to think the provincial government is looking at decisions such as the one Ucluelet's council made and concluding that CAVE's (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) everywhere support its cutbacks to localized social services - unfortunately I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm sure if you look more closely you'll find fairly little media attention being focused on similar things going on in Ontario and just about anywhere else you go in Canada.

I think part of solution starts here.

The Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) will be carrying out a 10-year Anti-stigma / Anti-discrimination Initiative. This campaign will be the largest systematic effort to reduce the stigma of mental illness in Canadian history. It is much-needed and long overdue.

Opening Minds

Ultimately though the only solution really is in our own minds and communities.

Private doesn't necessarily equal worst, nor should you expect to be treated as badly when calling a crisis centre as when you call to complain about phone service.

However, terms like 'best practices' also mean that results are measured, and communicated to those who have an interest, and that feedback is taken in from the ministries and their outsourced companies.

This is their JOB: the media, the government and the outsourced company. And the public is owed an explanation. If you don't get it, then make some noise. It might work, or it might not.

Private doesn't necessarily equal worst, nor should you expect to be treated as badly when calling a crisis centre as when you call to complain about phone service.

However, terms like 'best practices' also mean that results are measured, and communicated to those who have an interest, and that feedback is taken in from the ministries and their outsourced companies.

This is their JOB: the media, the government and the outsourced company. And the public is owed an explanation. If you don't get it, then make some noise. It might work, or it might not.

How's your effort to probe the apparently secret decisions that were made about H1N1 vaccinations going?

eyeball,

How's your effort to probe the apparently secret decisions that were made about H1N1 vaccinations going?

No response yet.

As I said on that thread, it seems like the panic of the first week was just that - a media-fueled panic that lead to a temporary rush. But, the powers that be did a bad job of communicating what was going on, and the media didn't ask enough questions.

And the big question is always what does it cost ? I have heard 1.5B.

What else do you expect from Liberals.

I live in BC and believe me when I say that the so-called Liberals under Mr. DUI Campbell are more politically and philosophically aligned with the Harperite Conservatives then with Iggy's Federal Liberals. Hell, the BC Liberal Party has zero ties with the Federal Liberals and can be fairly considered to be LINO's, Liberals In Name Only. Campbell's mantra is sell it all, line our (his and his cronies) pockets, and screw the people of BC even if it means lying through his teeth and breaking fairly negotiated, legal binding contacts. How these turds keep getting re-elect baffles me, I guess the people in BC just like taking one up the old poop-chute over and over again.

I live in BC and believe me when I say that the so-called Liberals under Mr. DUI Campbell are more politically and philosophically aligned with the Harperite Conservatives then with Iggy's Federal Liberals. Hell, the BC Liberal Party has zero ties with the Federal Liberals and can be fairly considered to be LINO's, Liberals In Name Only. Campbell's mantra is sell it all, line our (his and his cronies) pockets, and screw the people of BC even if it means lying through his teeth and breaking fairly negotiated, legal binding contacts. How these turds keep getting re-elect baffles me, I guess the people in BC just like taking one up the old poop-chute over and over again.

That sounds just like the new right wing Liberal Party lead by Iggy what are talking about?