Why is Hillary Clinton wearing a Hijab?

Does anybody here remember the controversy that erupted right here in Canada when Stephen Harper was accused of disrespecting the traditions of the Catholic church by (allegedly) pocketing the communion wafer?

If the Muslims are a bunch of small-minded intolerant crybabies who howl when somebody doesn't respect their traditions, doesn't that mean the Catholics are also a bunch of small-minded intolerant crybabies who howl when somebody doesn't respect their traditions?

-k

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody here remember the controversy that erupted right here in Canada when Stephen Harper was accused of disrespecting the traditions of the Catholic church by (allegedly) pocketing the communion wafer?

If the Muslims are a bunch of small-minded intolerant crybabies who howl when somebody doesn't respect their traditions, doesn't that mean the Catholics are also a bunch of small-minded intolerant crybabies who howl when somebody doesn't respect their traditions?

-k

I dont see Canadian embassies getting blown in catholic countrires.... (i'm refering to danish embassies getting blown up cus of the comic)

I don't know, Kimmy. You're a pretty reasonable person with an easygoing demeanor so you may be OK with it. But I've seen enough of the bra burning feminism around to know that there are plenty of women out there who don't at all like the fact that society "expects" them to behave or dress in a certain way simply because they are a woman.

Well if that's the case than this "oppression" is hardly a Muslim phenomenon at all, and not a female phenomenon either. Do you feel oppressed by the expectation of wearing a suit and tie to a job interview or to formal occasions? Do you worry that your co-workers might make fun of you if you wear your short-shorts to work? Congratulations, Jerry, you MAY ALREADY BE oppressed! Perhaps you are now eligible for some sort of Government program for victims of oppression.

If you're so concerned that Hilary's choice of apparel was dictated by external expectations... did you speak up for her during the Democratic primaries, when everything she wore was criticized as "too feminine", "not feminine enough", "looks like grandma's leisure suit," "a ridiculous attempt to look hip", and so on? If being told that wearing a scarf to a shrine in Pakistan was oppressive to her, it must have been even more oppressive being told day in day out by Americans that whatever she was wearing was the wrong thing.

And Kimmy, don't play dumb. She's not wearing that scarf as a fashion statement.

Never suggested she was. I was disputing the notion that the garment in itself is oppressive. It's not the garment that's oppressive, it's a symbolism attached to it that's argued to be oppressive, and in this case I don't think it's a good argument.

-k

Guest American Woman
I dont see Canadian embassies getting blown in catholic countrires.... (i'm refering to danish embassies getting blown up cus of the comic)

What does that have to do with Hillary????

It would have been wrong for her not to respect their customs at the shrine, it would have upset them. They wouldn't have blown up an embassy because of it, but they may have reacted the way Catholics did when Harper disrespected the customs of the Catholic church. But Hilliary did the right thing, just as Catholics expected Harper to do the right thing.

Did you really not get that?

Good grief. :rolleyes:

What does that have to do with Hillary????

It would have been wrong for her not to respect their customs at the shrine, it would have upset them. They wouldn't have blown up an embassy because of it, but they may have reacted the way Catholics did when Harper disrespected the customs of the Catholic church. But Hilliary did the right thing, just as Catholics expected Harper to do the right thing.

Did you really not get that?

Good grief. :rolleyes:

well, hillary coming to pakistan was greeted with a massive suicide bombing in a market,

just imagine if she didn't wear the hijab...

Speak ill and discriminate an Arab immigrant wearing burka - you're called a bigot, and is comdemned and punished for being racist.

Go to an arab country, walk around in skirts and tank-top - you're called as being ignorant and disrespectful, and injuries may or may not occur (well, islamic laws guarantee punishment ;) ). If you do get hurt as a result for continuing western tradition in Arab, it's your fault.

Seems like a double standard to me.

Exactly, TK. Bang on, but you forgot one thing. You probably would suffer alot worse (death? prison?) if you walked around in a skirt in certain arab countries.

Guest American Woman
So, again, your response to the intolerance in some muslim countries is to want to be more like them?

I'm thinking you won't get an answer because there is no answer to that question. At least not an answer that won't make them look foolish.

Guest TrueMetis
I'm thinking you won't get an answer because there is no answer to that question. At least not an answer that won't make them look foolish.

Which says a lot about their position doesn't it?

are you actually being sarcastic here? why take that tone?

No, I am being facetious. There is a difference. Wait .. no I am being sarcastic. The tone of my post depends on what voice you want to use inside your head. I use my own voice, but if you chose you can use Barney Rubble for all I care.

Because it is pretty stupid to say that if she did NOT wear the hijab, there would have been MORE sucide bombings in Pakistan. But we know that the Taliban is making life a little troublesome for Pakistani's, which is forgotten here for the sole purpose of making a connection or link to Hillary Clinton's arrivel and the suicide bombings.