Canadian Identity: un-American

You didn't fix anything, but you did satisfy your fixation and class envy in another nation. Shona Holmes is a Canadian, and she was "hired" just like many others...by "sleazy" Americans.

Class envy? Well, I think all of us who aren't rich are jealous to some degree of those who are. But I think this wierd belief among so many Americans that they might somehow, some day become rich permeates their strange attitude on allowing the rich to screw them over as much as they like. The amount of wealth being accumulated by 1% of the American population is distinctly unhealthy for society there.

In any event, the sleazy Americans in question are those rich people who control the health care industry. And sleazy is indeed the proper term for them. It's hard to make the case that a crack pusher has any fewer morals than the leaders of the American health care industry, and I challenge you to do so.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and your truly massive, humongous, and largely unmanageable debt is even more impressive.

While your puny but still ummanageable debt causes goverments to fall.

Want to bet that next election the rallying cry from Republicans will be "Vote for us and we'll cut taxes!"

Republicans always say that.

Phhht

Wag your wiener elsewhere, boy.

I do...for your Mama, boy!

Class envy? Well, I think all of us who aren't rich are jealous to some degree of those who are. But I think this wierd belief among so many Americans that they might somehow, some day become rich permeates their strange attitude on allowing the rich to screw them over as much as they like. The amount of wealth being accumulated by 1% of the American population is distinctly unhealthy for society there.

Well, as usual when looking from afar, you have a half-assed understanding of what the so called American dream is. Either way, Americans certainly aren't hoping to duplicate Canada's version of "less is more", starting with productivity, fewer "rich", and government clawbacks.

In any event, the sleazy Americans in question are those rich people who control the health care industry. And sleazy is indeed the proper term for them. It's hard to make the case that a crack pusher has any fewer morals than the leaders of the American health care industry, and I challenge you to do so.

Perhaps you feel the medical professional brain drain and patients fleeing south for/with their "sleazy" money are the same? There is no such thing as "leaders" of the health care "industry".

Do you mean De Toqueville (sp) as the "French writer of the 18th century"? If so he described the culture not created it. I doubt a French writer of the 18th century could create an American culture.

No, I was thinking about: Montesquieu, Beaumarchais, Diderot, Rousseau, Voltaire and many others that have writen the concept of individualism, free speech, search for happiness and so on in their books long before the American Revolution. They also put a lot of pressure and influence toward the french monarchy to support the American Revolution.

The basics of the American society and ideals was taken almost as it was fromn their books and enforced in an attempt to create a "perfect society".

The CBC is unconsciously liberal in that most of those who choose to work for them are inspired by liberal ideals and came from liberal backgrounds and liberal journalism schools. They are generally smug and satisfied with the status quo.

Fox news is deliberately biased as a mater of corporate policy. It deliberately sets out to slant every story and every discussion in favor of one view. If the US were a totalitarian dictatorship and the Republicans were the dictators, Fox news would operate in exactly the way it does now.

There is a difference.

Agreed.

I would also add that the Conservative are obviously on the offensive to substitute evangelical values (wich are definately an american thing) to the usual Canadian values.

I would also add that the Conservative are obviously on the offensive to substitute evangelical values (wich are definately an american thing) to the usual Canadian values.

Evangelical values? Perhaps you'd like to expand upon this term and cite a few examples.

Guest TrueMetis

Evangelical values? Perhaps you'd like to expand upon this term and cite a few examples.

Maybe Anacoluthe is refering to creationists being taken somewhat seriously in America, and other stuff like that.

Edited by TrueMetis

Guest TrueMetis

...or creationists taken seriously in Canada:

http://www.bvcsm.com/

Now show me where it's allowed to be taught in schools. I didn't say that no one believed it, there are moron in Canada, but a lot less people believe in creation in Canada than in America, and creation is taught in some American schools.

ETA I really hope he's lying and hasen't managed to get his hands on actual fossils.

Edited by TrueMetis

Now show me where it's allowed to be taught in schools. I didn't say that no one believed it, there are moron in Canada, but a lot less people believe in creation in Canada than in America, and creation is taught in some American schools.

There are a lot more people in America...God created many more Americans than Canadians! :lol:

ETA I really hope he's lying and hasen't managed to get his hands on actual fossils.

Why? What's the big deal?

Guest TrueMetis

There are a lot more people in America...God created many more Americans than Canadians! :lol:

That's less as a percentage in Canada 59% of people accept evolution 22% believe in Creation and 19% aren't sure.

My link

In America 53% believe in Creation 23% accept evolution but with god controling the process and 17& accept evolution with natural selection.

My link

Why? What's the big deal?

Fossil are rare allowing idiots like this to be close to them is a travesty.

That's less as a percentage in Canada 59% of people accept evolution 22% believe in Creation and 19% aren't sure.

My link

In America 53% believe in Creation 23% accept evolution but with god controling the process and 17& accept evolution with natural selection.

My link

Again...so what? America also believes in nuclear weapons.

Fossil are rare allowing idiots like this to be close to them is a travesty.

Fossils are not "rare"...they are quite common.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/custom.html?year=2009&country=1&cols=3&df=1&hol=1

Where's our Nov 11 Stat holiday?? The US has ten, Canada has nine. Make Nov 11 a stat!!

You need to move to BC we are enjoying our Nov 11 Stat holiday! :)

Remembrance Day is a statutory holiday in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, and Yukon.

In Manitoba, an "Official day of Observance", not a statutory holiday.

In Nova Scotia, not a statutory holiday in that employers have the option of giving Remembrance Day or an alternate day off.

Not a statutory holiday in Ontario or Quebec.

Edited by Nat

Guest TrueMetis

Again...so what? America also believes in nuclear weapons.

:blink: Cause there the same. Belief is accepting something without evidence. We have evidence of nukes and we have evidenc of evolution to deny evolution is the equivalent to denying gravity.

On the one hand you have the unifying theory of biology and probably one of the most substantiated theorys ever (there is no debate over whether evolution happens just how) and on the other you have, goddidit.

Fossils are not "rare"...they are quite common.

:lol: You've just exposed yourself as scientifically illiterate.

Fossilization is an exceptionally rare occurrence, because most components of formerly-living things tend to decompose relatively quickly following death.

My link

Edited by TrueMetis

:blink: Cause there the same. Belief is accepting something without evidence. We have evidence of nukes and we have evidenc of evolution to deny evolution is the equivalent to denying gravity.

Again2 ....people are free to invest in whatever belief system that they please.

On the one hand you have the unifying theory of biology and probably one of the most substantiated theorys ever (there is no debate over whether evolution happens just how) and on the other you have, goddidit.

....still just a theory.

:lol: You've just exposed yourself as scientifically illiterate.

My link

..and you have exposed yourself as easily manipulated. Fossils are not rare....I can find one right now (trilobites). Perhaps what you meant to say is "fossilization" is rare.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest TrueMetis

Again2 ....people are free to invest in whatever belief system that they please.

Yet they don't let the Satanists believe what they want. Sure let them believe what they want as long as they keep it in there homes and don't push there religous crap into public schools

....still just a theory.

Yet even more scientifically illiterate go look up the definition of scientific theory, this isn't the everyday use.

..and you have exposed yourself as easily manipulated. Fossils are not rare....I can find one right now.

Go for it.

Yet they don't let the Satanists believe what they want. Sure let them believe what they want as long as they keep it in there homes and don't push there religous crap into public schools

Satanists do believe what they want without restrictions. So do Pagans, Wiccans, etc. They are also entitled to public educations. Ontario still funds Cathlolic schools...no?

Yet even more scientifically illiterate go look up the definition of scientific theory, this isn't the everyday use.

No...I'm having too much fun playing rope-a-dope with your "superior" scientific mind.

I already found that "RARE" fossil....$11.00 US so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fossil-Trilobite-Elrathia-kinghi-Antelope-Springs-Utah_W0QQitemZ120489194897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0db73591

Go for it.

I guess you are illiterate about the word "rare".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

When I was a kid, our backyard was topsoil dumped over loose aggregate. I used to go fossil hunting with my masons hammer....shale and other sedimentary rocks bore the best finds. By the end of a couple of summers I have collected a small garbage can full of fossils, all from our 40 x 15 ft back yard. Not just sea creatures either..leaves, bones..

Mr BC is quite correct, fossils are as coomon as rocks. Take an afternoon and go to Collingwood and prowl the shore sorting through the shale...I defy anyone not to find a fossil in 15 minutes.

Guest TrueMetis

Satanists do believe what they want without restrictions. So do Pagans, Wiccans, etc. They are also entitled to public educations. Ontario still funds Cathlolic schools...no?

Then why do people freak out when they sacrifice someone? That's part of there belief. Catholic schools in ontario are considered seperate schools not public schools.

No...I'm having too much fun playing rope-a-dope with your "superior" scientific mind.

You're really bad at admiting you're wrong ;)

I guess you are illiterate about the word "rare".

Uncommon, infrequant, etc

This is from a biologist

In terms of the number of individual fossils there are probably countless billions. Most large Natural History Museums will have a collection of several million. However, as you probably know there will be multiple specimens for most species. For example we have lots of different fossils of T. rex, these even have names like 'Sue' and 'Jane'. The number of different kinds of fossils (species) is much less, I think the figure is a few hundred thousand. In reality there were probably many more species in the whole history of life, but many of these never left a single fossil and others have yet to be dug up!

Billions but that's a fraction of the trillions upon trillions of animals that have lived, not to mention that most fossils are incomplete consisting of only a few bones in most cases.

My link

Guest TrueMetis

When I was a kid, our backyard was topsoil dumped over loose aggregate. I used to go fossil hunting with my masons hammer....shale and other sedimentary rocks bore the best finds. By the end of a couple of summers I have collected a small garbage can full of fossils, all from our 40 x 15 ft back yard. Not just sea creatures either..leaves, bones..

Mr BC is quite correct, fossils are as coomon as rocks. Take an afternoon and go to Collingwood and prowl the shore sorting through the shale...I defy anyone not to find a fossil in 15 minutes.

how many were actual fossils and how many were Pseudofossils? leaf = Pseudofossils, bone = fossil. You can say there common but if they were the geological record wouldn't be as incomplete as it is.

So they are not rare then, being billions and billions of them...

There rare when you consider the amount of animals that have lived, and how few of the ones we find are in good enough condition to use.

Edited by TrueMetis

Then why do people freak out when they sacrifice someone? That's part of there belief. Catholic schools in ontario are considered seperate schools not public schools.

Do they use separate, tax funded loonies too?

You're really bad at admiting you're wrong ;)

Quit while you are behind.

Uncommon, infrequant, etc

This is from a biologist

Now...a royal flush is rare...this is from a poker player.

Billions but that's a fraction of the trillions upon trillions of animals that have lived, not to mention that most fossils are incomplete consisting of only a few bones in most cases.

...not so rare after all, eh? Maybe you smart scientist types need to be better at basic math.

Guest TrueMetis

Do they use separate, tax funded loonies too?

Don't know and don't care there in Ontario I'm in B.C.

Quit while you are behind.

Yet you haven't posted a single link with evidence and I have.

Now...a royal flush is rare...this is from a poker player.

because that means your qualified.

...not so rare after all, eh? Maybe you smart scientist types need to be better at basic math.

Since you seem to need it here's another source this one is ment for children maybe you will understan it better than.

Fossilization is a rare event. The chances of a given individual being preserved in the fossil record are very small.

I don't get why you think fossils are common when all biologists say they're rare.

My link

Edited by TrueMetis