Flip Flop Iggy Flips again

punked

I don't support the HST, and I've wrote my member to express my view, nice deflection though.

I was speaking to people stepping down because of the corruption/incompetence that still thrives in the Liberal party, and why I stopped supporting them after the '04 federal election.

Yeah, there's that too.... ;)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you'll enjoy another 4 years of Harper.
Reading the article, instead of adopting policy from the Green Party as Dion did, Ignatieff is adopting the green policy of the NDP. This should surprise no one.

Ignatieffs problem is his flip flopping. That is problematic when one is unscripted over the longhaul and without a platform or policies, he has to wing it.

Ahhhhhhhh all the Liberals have now. Here is a news flash the Liberals are just as bad as the Conservatives so you can't use your scare tactics on me. Save them for someone like yourself who doesn't see that.
Yeah but you are hardcore. Apparently many New Democrats appear to think like you as their polling numbers are static. It will take more then words of convienence from the LPC leader to get votes from the New Democrats.

But, there is a possibility that the LPC can go after the weaker NDP base in Ontario in order to swing some voters and save a handful of seats while the ship sinks although that didn't work in 2008 or 2006 but had some effect in 2004 and was highly successful in the mid 1990s to 2004.

The question is.... did the LPC check out polling data and discover that advocating for the tar sands is unpopular and advocating for clean energy is a popular choice. Because LPC strategy would be to advertise the Green Energy Economy (Sounds like the Ontario New Democrats actually), and then go full tilt boogey in the tar sands... :P

Yeah but you are hardcore. Apparently many New Democrats appear to think like you as their polling numbers are static. It will take more then words of convienence from the LPC leader to get votes from the New Democrats.

But, there is a possibility that the LPC can go after the weaker NDP base in Ontario in order to swing some voters and save a handful of seats while the ship sinks although that didn't work in 2008 or 2006 but had some effect in 2004 and was highly successful in the mid 1990s to 2004.

The question is.... did the LPC check out polling data and discover that advocating for the tar sands is unpopular and advocating for clean energy is a popular choice. Because LPC strategy would be to advertise the Green Energy Economy (Sounds like the Ontario New Democrats actually), and then go full tilt boogey in the tar sands... :P

I think you are right they are running to the left now seeing the right leaning votes aren't coming their way. The problem with that is Iggy spent a whole year issuing statements from the right now all of a sudden the Liberals are a left leaning party. It will take at least year for that message to get through all the stuff Iggy has already said.

• 10 months later...

Today the Liberal leader was speaking out of both sides of his mouth again. He said he likes the HST but at the sametime supports those in BC who don't like it. No promise to get rid of it, and no excuses as to why his party in BC is the only who forced it upon the people.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/ignatieff-supports-hst-and-its-detractors/article1683935/

Gee, what is ever so controversial about this statement?

Mr. Ignatieff says he supports the harmonized sales tax because of its economic benefits, but he says B.C. residents have a right to protest the way it was implemented.

Yeah, that's flip flopping :rolleyes: . I can come up with a million damaging statements made by Ignatieff, just to make him look bad, that would be a thousand times smarter than this sad sack attempt. Keep trying.

Edited by nicky10013

Gee, what is ever so controversial about this statement?

Yeah, that's flip flopping :rolleyes: . I can come up with a million damaging statements made by Ignatieff, just to make him look bad, that would be a thousand times smarter than this sad sack attempt. Keep trying.

He is talking out of both sides of his mouth. No one disagrees with the democratic process the point here is Ignatieff is for the HST and is trying to duck the question and make it look like something different.

Today the Liberal leader was speaking out of both sides of his mouth again. He said he likes the HST but at the sametime supports those in BC who don't like it.

That's not what he said, and what he said isn't flip flopping.

Gotcha the Liberals love the HST. Why didn't he just say so.

Generally, Liberals think the HST is a good idea (it is, fro what I can see). Liberals (generally) love the right of peaceful assembly and protest....unlike New Democrats apparently.

Generally, Liberals think the HST is a good idea (it is, fro what I can see). Liberals (generally) love the right of peaceful assembly and protest....unlike New Democrats apparently.

There does not need be a protest they handed in enough signatures (which were obtained by the NDP, a former Socred leader and a number of other parties) to have a ballot question. Now the LIBERALS are running scared. Put it to a vote end of story.

There does not need be a protest they handed in enough signatures (which were obtained by the NDP, a former Socred leader and a number of other parties) to have a ballot question. Now the LIBERALS are running scared. Put it to a vote end of story.

The legislature isn't sitting right now....but I guess it will go to a vote. Oh well.

He is talking out of both sides of his mouth. No one disagrees with the democratic process the point here is Ignatieff is for the HST and is trying to duck the question and make it look like something different.

That's right...

The Con's and the Liberals did a little dance last December to make it legal in the provinces...

In Ontario,when the NDP AND the National Ctizens Coalition are standing up against the HST in unison,you know it's a really bad idea...

That's right...

The Con's and the Liberals did a little dance last December to make it legal in the provinces...

In Ontario,when the NDP AND the National Ctizens Coalition are standing up against the HST in unison,you know it's a really bad idea...

If it'll help, which buisnesses unanimously agree it will be, then what's the problem here? There has been a lot of disinformation re: HST. The funniest of which I think is that the Tories here in Ontario have been trying to take down the Liberals with it, though, they refuse to say whether they themselves actually agree with it or not.

If it'll help, which buisnesses unanimously agree it will be, then what's the problem here? There has been a lot of disinformation re: HST. The funniest of which I think is that the Tories here in Ontario have been trying to take down the Liberals with it, though, they refuse to say whether they themselves actually agree with it or not.

I agree that Hudak is a complete liar...Not surprising as he is a Flaharty aparatchik,and sadly,my MPP..

I've met him a few times...Nice guy..His politics is a little too far to the right for me,however...

The fact of the matter is that the HST is nothing more than a tax shift from the corporate base onto the consumer base.This is because we have slashed corporate tax rates in this province so low,and cannot go any farhter,that we have to fund social programs off the backs of the consumer.

And businesses don't unanimously agree with the HST...Only the large corporate lobby groups like it.

You know the thing stinks to high heaven when McStupid says that it will create 600,000 new jobs and we have to be bribed with our own money to grease the skids for the thing...

Kind of unfortunate that there is no credible left alternative to McGuinty in Ontario, isn't it?

We have very little choice in the province...

Door#1...The bozo we've got

Door#2...Flaharty/Harris aparatchik

door#3...The hapless NDP

It's kinda like picking which poison you want to kill yourself with...

And businesses don't unanimously agree with the HST...Only the large corporate lobby groups like it.

I don't buy that. The businesses that tend to be against the HST are service-oriented businesses like hair dressers and restaurants. Those working in physical products or commodities tend to be for it, because the input credits will bring down their bottom line.

All in all, I'm in favor of consumption taxes, though they tend to work best when there are also reductions in other taxes like income or capital gains taxes. As someone who worked as a bookkeeper in BC, having to work with both the GST and PST regimes, all I can say is that BC's PST was a horrific tax, even after some of the major simplifications that took place over the last decade or so. PST audits were scary things, mainly because some of the rules were so esoteric that you just knew that no matter what happened, the number you claimed wouldn't be the number the auditor would come up with.

GST/HST, on the other hand, is a dream. It's really simple. You take the HST you collect, subtract the HST you spent, and you forward on the amount left over to the government, or if you were, say, doing major upgrades to equipment, you might even get a credit. For groups like non-profits, HST is a pure win, as the PST portion of the money they spent was lost, but now they'll be able to get the HST they spent back.

There's no perfect tax, but most economists tend to look very favorably on consumption taxes, in no small part because they encourage savings. It's easy to reduce your HST bill, just don't buy as much.

Still, the way the whole thing was brought in, particular in BC, where the BC Liberals basically lied about their intentions to assure an election win (what they lied about, really, wasn't so much the HST as claiming outrageously high revenue projections, in other words an infamous Fudge-it Budget just like the BC NDP government did in the late 1990s). A major change to the tax structure of the province should have been part of the election debate.

There's no perfect tax, but most economists tend to look very favorably on consumption taxes, in no small part because they encourage savings. It's easy to reduce your HST bill, just don't buy as much.

Do economists like luxury taxes? They would seem to be even better on these grounds. (And if so, why do we not see more of them?)