Obama - Chicago Bleeds for You

Chicago Violence Haunts Obama as Gun-Control Backers Left Cold

Oct. 7 (Bloomberg) -- At least 47 school-age children in Chicago have been killed in homicides, mostly by guns, since the month President Barack Obama took office.

The latest youth homicide in his adopted hometown was different only in that the attackers used splintered railroad ties and were captured on video broadcast globally.

The Sept. 24 attack prompted Obama to send his attorney general and education secretary to Chicago today after the killing tarnished the city’s drive to win the 2016 Olympics.

“The savage beating of Derrion Albert, recycled on television, embarrassed Chicago and the nation,” said the Reverend Jesse Jackson, a civil-rights activist and founder of the RainbowPUSH Coalition. “You can’t ignore the case.”

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder plan to appear at City Hall with Mayor Richard Daley in what the Obama administration described as a search for solutions to youth crime. They also will meet privately with students and parents.

When Obama was elected, I hoped that he would use his bully pulpit with regularity to speak to these people, from whom he came, about what they could do if they stopped fighting and, like him, did their homework. I had hoped (and still hope) that he would emphasize that change was needed in their behavior and in their communities.

The President should "lay down the law" to parents that their children will, at best, be working menial jobs and at worst come home in pine boxes. This is the kind of "community leadership" that is needed from a Chicago boy made good. He should emphasize what an America would be like without a permanent underclass. An America that could afford top-notch health care for all. An America that could be generous on the world front. An America that could better help its few remaining poor people.

This is what I want to see Obama do for America.

So Obama must not only lead by example, but lecture by one?

I take it you respond better by being told the obvious rather than by seeing the obvious?

Obviously these feral beasts have trouble "seeing the obvious".

Oh, sorry, I was being polite.

Didn't want to use the "r" word, you know.... not kosher around here.

Forget I mentioned it and I'll forget your chatter about the "feral beasts" relationship, or lack there of, to Obama, who has, apparently, "come" from them.

I didn't know Obama was a feral beast at one time.

Quite interesting since he attended a school reserved for Dutch and Indonesian nobility when he was about 6.

Does this make him a feral Dutchman rather than a flying Dutchman? [oh, that's pretty bad and pretty vague]

Anyway, my real comment on this thread should have been a simple :rolleyes: from the start.

Once again, my apologies ... carry on my friends, carry on....

I didn't know Obama was a feral beast at one time.
No. Obama is not the feral beast.

The senseless murderers are. Unless you equate Obama with the school gangsters.

No. Obama is not the feral beast.

The senseless murderers are. Unless you equate Obama with the school gangsters.

Oh, okay, sorry, must have led to the wrong conclusion there.... didn't understand what you meant by "from whom he came" I guess.

Edited by msj

I wonder how much of an icon Obama is now, to these teenagers since he has been publicly ridiculed by the extreme right, who use their access to media to broadcast their hate for him (Limbaugh, Wilson). In some cases, even racially charged statements, and comments by Jimmy Carter etc. This has done more damage by revealing the racial divide even more clearly. Whereas in the recent past, this was at least somewhat hidden by a thin veneer of civility, its become quite obvious to everyone around the world. Obviously the kids can see it too. Hence my reasoning, Obama is not something to be celebrated after all. If he is to represent an inspirational figure for black youth, it fails.

A timely message, that reinforces my point (splashed across the front headline of CNN webpage)

Wilson GOP rock star after 'You lie'

Like it or not, agree with him or not, the media is the message. And I say that message for black youth now is, a black man gets no respect, even as the President of the United States. So whats the point in trying

Edited by Sir Bandelot

A timely message, that reinforces my point (splashed across the front headline of CNN webpage)

Wilson GOP rock star after 'You lie'

Like it or not, agree with him or not, the media is the message. And I say that message for black youth now is, a black man gets no respect, even as the President of the United States. So whats the point in trying

That's complete nonsense. Was George W Bush treated better by the media? There were books written, and movies made about his assassination. He was compared to Hitler, he was called a chimp, and an idiot. Joe Wilson is a star with conservatives because he rightly called Obama on his lie about healthcare for illegal immigrants. It was a lie, and proven to be so, because the house Dems altered the legislation the following day, to close the loophole. A President can't propose unpopular ideas, and expect to recieve favourable coverage.

Go play your violin somewhere else.

That's complete nonsense. Was George W Bush treated better by the media? There were books written, and movies made about his assassination. He was compared to Hitler, he was called a chimp, and an idiot. Joe Wilson is a star with conservatives because he rightly called Obama on his lie about healthcare for illegal immigrants. It was a lie, and proven to be so, because the house Dems altered the legislation the following day, to close the loophole. A President can't propose unpopular ideas, and expect to recieve favourable coverage.

I'm talking about perceptions by black youth. The facts you quote is entirely beside the point. I say thats how it's been hyped up and thats what some of them probably believe.

-> Go play your violin somewhere else.

aww, your such a tough guy.

Sorry but I like it here.

Oh yeah, think I'll stay a while...

I'm talking about perceptions by black youth.

So perception and not reality. Ok, well, I think they would have percieved Obama's election as the first African-American President as a great thing. And I think they would percieve is harsh criticism in some of the media as a great thing too. Because he's being treated as every President before him, and not with kid gloves, because he's black. Because that's truely racist.

only the worst of the racist slugs would, in the name of partisanship,

cheer for their own country to fail in a bid to host Olympics --

they. who put misplaced loyalty to race above loyalty to country -- are not but vile traitors to America and the American ideal

Edited by Guthrie

only the worst of the racist slugs would, in the name of partisanship,

cheer for their own country to fail in a bid to host Olympics --

they. who put misplaced loyalty to race above loyalty to country -- are not but vile traitors to America and the American ideal

A straw man argument?

A straw man argument?
I think it's a big font argument.

no, but no surprise that you should get it wrong; it is something you lads around here don't recognize too well as it doesn't spend a lot of time around here --- it is the truth

BTW - there can't be a, 'straw man argument,' without a straw man first being set up --- see, that's how it works:

1) set up a straw man

2) knock him down

no, but no surprise that you should get it wrong; it is something you lads around here don't recognize too well as it doesn't spend a lot of time around here --- it is the truth

BTW - there can't be a, 'straw man argument,' without a straw man first being set up --- see, that's how it works:

1) set up a straw man

2) knock him down

But nobody here attacked Obama for seeking the Olympics for Chicago. Maybe he has more important things to be doing, but no attack.

But nobody here attacked Obama for seeking the Olympics for Chicago. Maybe he has more important things to be doing, but no attack.

No, many in your GOP were positively giddy that Chicago was refused. Your mentor Rush Limbaugh practically had a coronary of delight.

No, many in your GOP were positively giddy that Chicago was refused. Your mentor Rush Limbaugh practically had a coronary of delight.

You're quite right, at least about him being giddy. I was too. I actually spit out some of my coffee when I saw the reaction of CNN's anchor to Chicago being eliminated first. I think he too thought that there's no issue or problem, Obama can't solve with his delightful charisma. Apparently the IOC didn't much care for his and Michelle's speeches, which were all about them. Self-centered egotistical people like that deserve to put in their place.

You're http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....pid=472443quite right, at least about him being giddy. I was too. I actually spit out some of my coffee when I saw the reaction of CNN's anchor to Chicago being eliminated first. I think he too thought that there's no issue or problem, Obama can't solve with his delightful charisma. Apparently the IOC didn't much care for his and Michelle's speeches, which were all about them. Self-centered egotistical people like that deserve to put in their place.

NO SHADY! The IOC is pissed at America for owning a large proportion of all revenue it brings in becuase America Bailed them out some years ago. They asked to buy some of that back from America and they said no so the IOC decided to punish them, the fix was in well before Obama stepped up. Thanks for showing that the GOP knows nothing about anything again though. Lets not forget the rest of the world still gave him the Nobel Prize. Sorry Obama did what was right for America and kept the guaranteed revenue stream that America earned so long ago by saving the IOCs ass.

NO SHADY! The IOC is pissed at America for owning a large proportion of all revenue it brings in becuase America Bailed them out some years ago. They asked to buy some of that back from America and they said no so the IOC decided to punish them, the fix was in well before Obama stepped up. Thanks for showing that the GOP knows nothing about anything again though. Lets not forget the rest of the world still gave him the Nobel Prize. Sorry Obama did what was right for America and kept the guaranteed revenue stream that America earned so long ago by saving the IOCs ass.

Wow, that's quite the tinfoil hate you've got on. No, they wanted to give it to a South American country for the first time, and they didn't much care for the Obama's self-centered reasons why they think Chicago deserved the Olympics.

Wow, that's quite the tinfoil hate you've got on. No, they wanted to give it to a South American country for the first time, and they didn't much care for the Obama's self-centered reasons why they think Chicago deserved the Olympics.

Accept it is true. Everyone went into it knowing who they were going to vote for. Obama should never have went becuase like it or not the decision was already made. You live in the Obama can;t do anything right world which is fine but for those of us who live in the real world we could see this was beyond him or anyone else to sway.

Accept it is true. Everyone went into it knowing who they were going to vote for. Obama should never have went becuase like it or not the decision was already made. You live in the Obama can;t do anything right world

Well, I agree with you, Obama should have never went. So in this case, he didn't do what was right, did he? Welcome to my world, the world of reality! :lol: