Alleged Pedophile Kills self amid allegations.

Yesterday's suicide of a Toronto high school teacher charged with sexual offenses involving boys sparked an outpouring of grief and support.

Dewees, 32, who taught Latin and English at Jarvis since 2003, was charged Thursday with Internet luring and invitation to sexual touching at the Christian-based Ontario Pioneer Camp near Huntsville between July 2008 and July 2009.

Source

I don't know what kind of people who have sympathy for an alleged pedophile. I find it disgusting that people would rally behind this man after he had alleged inappropriate contact with two innocent boys...I feel sad for the two boys who will be scarred for the rest of their lives because of the alleged actions of one man.

It's also quite repulsive that all the media attention is swirling around the sympathy for this disgraced teacher and not on the two innocent victims of his alleged assault.

I have no patience at all for anyone who would hurt a child. A poor defenseless child that can make for an easy target by the most vile of people.

I don't think I'd be able to let justice take it's coarse if someone were to hurt my children or my family. It's the only time I could see myself breaking the law purposely.

Those poor little boys. God Bless them...that man will no longer have the power to physically and emotionally hurt you any longer, alleged or otherwise.

Edited by Mr.Canada

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what kind of people who have sympathy for an alleged pedophile. I find it disgusting that people would rally behind this man after he had alleged inappropriate contact with two innocent boys...I feel sad for the two boys who will be scarred for the rest of their lives because of the alleged actions of one man.

It's also quite repulsive that all the media attention is swirling around the sympathy for this disgraced teacher and not on the two innocent victims of his alleged assault.

I have no patience at all for anyone who would hurt a child. A poor defenseless child that can make for an easy target by the most vile of people.

I don't think I'd be able to let justice take it's coarse if someone were to hurt my children or my family. It's the only time I could see myself breaking the law purposely.

Those poor little boys. God Bless them...that man will no longer have the power to physically and emotionally hurt you any longer, alleged or otherwise.

Man, couldn't wait to be the first to cast that stone, could you?

Given what little we know so far, the man could have been innocent! He may well have been falsely accused. People are so quick to assume the worst in these cases. Here in my town we had a case of an elderly school bus driver who was accused of child molestation. Turned out that he had just lost his little granddaughter to cancer and had a little girl on his bus that was crying her eyes out over some matter. He hugged her to comfort her and when her mother found out she called the authorities, assuming he was trying to molest her!

Nowadays sexual crimes are perhaps the easiest charge to make and it really doesn't matter if they are true. The bus driver here lost his job immediately and although charges were later completely drppped that fact never received the same billing in the local paper as when they were first made! His reputation is tarnished to this day in much of the community.

This man who committed suicide may well have done it simply because he knew that he would forever wear the label!

And before you try to label ME as someone soft on pedophiles you should know that I am one of those who believes that if charges are PROVEN they should be hung!

Edited by Wild Bill

Man, couldn't wait to be the first to cast that stone, could you?

No kidding! Methinks Mr. Canada is the type of character who prefers the lynch-mob form of justice rather than the innocent-until-proven-guilty type we're used to. It's because of people like Mr. Canada that even an accusation of illicit behaviour involving children - as loosely as that term is used - can utterly ruin a person's life. All one kid has to do is point a finger at someone and say "he touched me!" and the person being pointed at will be judged automatically by the Mr. Canada types as a lewd and sick individual deserving of a torturous death. It reminds me of the South Park episode where the kids all realised what happens when they simply say an adult "molestered" them.

Guest American Woman
This man who committed suicide may well have done it simply because he knew that he would forever wear the label!

That's definitely a possibility, but it seems to me it would take a pretty disturbed individual to throw himself in front of a train because he was charged with the crime -- not found guilty, but simply charged. Seems to me an innocent person would want to stick around and at least attempt to clear their name, unless they were suffering other problems.

Sadly, if he was guilty, the kids involved will have the additional burden/trauma of his death to deal with because they did the right thing and reported it. Chances are, some people may make the kids feel as if his death is all their fault.

That's definitely a possibility, but it seems to me it would take a pretty disturbed individual to throw himself in front of a train because he was charged with the crime -- not found guilty, but simply charged. Seems to me an innocent person would want to stick around and at least attempt to clear their name, unless they were suffering other problems.

Sadly, if he was guilty, the kids involved will have the additional burden/trauma of his death to deal with because they did the right thing and reported it. Chances are, some people may make the kids feel as if his death is all their fault.

Perhaps, but that doesn't change my point that Mr. Canada was incredibly quick to cast a stone. If this man was a member of a Christian church organization a false accusation could have made him as distressed as a true one! A trial would have brought out more evidence. I wonder now if we'll ever know?

Perhaps, but that doesn't change my point that Mr. Canada was incredibly quick to cast a stone. If this man was a member of a Christian church organization a false accusation could have made him as distressed as a true one! A trial would have brought out more evidence. I wonder now if we'll ever know?

His guilt was obviously overwhelming. People who are innocent don't go around offing them selves. This speaks to the guilt he must have been feeling. He, being a Christian knew that God was watching and that was what he couldn't bare any longer.

So he chose to lie down on the tracks at High Park and wait for the next train to kill him and end his guilt. Ironically, now that he took his own life he is condemned to live out this eternal days being tore apart in Hell over and over again.

It truly doesn't pay to victimize children. The victims are being cast aside here and that is unfortunate. The children are the real victims in all this not the alleged abuser.

Guest TrueMetis
His guilt was obviously overwhelming. People who are innocent don't go around offing them selves. This speaks to the guilt he must have been feeling. He, being a Christian knew that God was watching and that was what he couldn't bare any longer.

So he chose to lie down on the tracks at High Park and wait for the next train to kill him and end his guilt. Ironically, now that he took his own life he is condemned to live out this eternal days being tore apart in Hell over and over again.

It truly doesn't pay to victimize children. The victims are being cast aside here and that is unfortunate. The children are the real victims in all this not the alleged abuser.

That you feel anyone deserves eternal damnation speaks volumes.

Guest TrueMetis
These are Gods own laws, he states as much in the Bible. I hope everyone chooses to live by Gods law and not mans law.

A god that has zero proof of its exsistance. Written in the bible a book that has so many contradictions, has been re-written so many times, and actually encourages some of the most disgusting acts possible. Great place to get your laws from. I prefer my own judgement.

These are Gods own laws, he states as much in the Bible. I hope everyone chooses to live by Gods law and not mans law.

"I'm flying in Winchester cathedral.

All religion has to have its day

Expressions on the face of the Saviour

Made me say

I can't stay.

Open up the gates of the church and let me out of here!

Too many people have lied in the name of Christ

For anyone to heed the call.

So many people have died in the name of Christ

That I can't believe it all."

---'Cathedral' by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

"God's Laws? Why?"

"Because they're written in the Bible!"

"Who wrote the Bible?"

"God"

"How do we know?"

"Because it's written in the Bible!"

This is a grade school tautology. Your premise is an opinion, not a fact.

The issue here is that an alleged pedophile killed himself and now it's hands across Canada for this fine specimen of a human being. This, without even giving any consideration for the children who are the victims in all this not this man who through his own guilt decided to take his own life.

It's obvious that the people who have responded thus far do not have children of their own. Until you do you cannot possibly understand the horror it would be to realize that your son or daughter has been victimized by an adult and the feelings that go along with it.

Maybe I'm less of a human being then all of you but I don't give pedophiles the benefit of the doubt, our children are at stake here and 1 victim is 1 too many in my eyes. Too bad more people don't share my view as witnessed by the comments to the story on the website...sad.

I could care less if a pedophile takes his own life, good riddance. One pedophile has well over 100 victims throughout his/her lifetime if not stopped.

The issue here is that an alleged pedophile killed himself and now it's hands across Canada for this fine specimen of a human being. This, without even giving any consideration for the children who are the victims in all this not this man who through his own guilt decided to take his own life.

It's obvious that the people who have responded thus far do not have children of their own. Until you do you cannot possibly understand the horror it would be to realize that your son or daughter has been victimized by an adult and the feelings that go along with it.

Maybe I'm less of a human being then all of you but I don't give pedophiles the benefit of the doubt, our children are at stake here and 1 victim is 1 too many in my eyes. Too bad more people don't share my view as witnessed by the comments to the story on the website...sad.

I could care less if a pedophile takes his own life, good riddance. One pedophile has well over 100 victims throughout his/her lifetime if not stopped.

Again, if he was guilty I would be the first to say "Hang him!" If it was the 'chair' I would be perfectly willing to pull the switch.

I'm just pointing out that you apparently don't see the need for a trial or to see any more evidence than what has so far been reported in the papers.

You seem to simply be seizing the chance to rail from a pulpit! So what if you don't like pedophiles. Few people do!

No wonder we keep getting into Steven Truscott and Donald Marshall situations.

And what, pray tell, makes it so obvious? Having your life utterly destroyed by a mere accusation isn't reason enough to off one's self?

What mad man would kill himself over money or reputation? NOW the kids are going to have a vigil for this fellow..who cut off his own head off by tramatizing a subway train driver...he did not seem to care for others...I can see all the sick sympathy coming out now---eg...If our wonderful teacher was just allowed to defile a young boy he would be alive now..poor man seemed to be ready to ruin the life and manhood of youngsters....looks good on the lunitic..as for "mere accusations" - apparently they were not that mere to him...What will be a disgrace is that stupid "grief consultants...are going to comfort the students by telling them that there are 72 virgin boys waiting for this creep in heaven...

as for "mere accusations" - apparently they were not that mere to him...

No, they probably weren't. Hence, I wonder if you'd say all the same things as you just did if someone pointed at you and screamed "PÆDOPHILE!", and then the media caught your story and splashes all over the country: "Oleg is an accused PÆDOPHILE!"; you lost your job, your social circle, possibly your family, and then nobody bothered to let the world know when you were eventually proved innocent.

I think the point is: we can't come to any conclusions given the limited information and copious irrational speculation presently available. He may have been guilty of soliciting sex from boys, and he may not, despite what Mr.Canada asserts so obdurately.

Guest American Woman

Mr. Canada was quick to cast a stone, I don't deny that. But I have to wonder at this teacher's actions had he been innocent. As I said, the kids will have to carry the burden of his death. Seems odd that a caring teacher wouldn't consider that. Furthermore, the subway driver has to have been deeply traumatized. Why didn't he do away with himself without involving someone else if nothing more that "a false accusation" drove him to suicide?

Furthermore, if he were a member of a Christian Church organization and involved to the extent that a false accusation could make him as distressed as a true one, wouldn't suicide be against his/the church's principles? And it seems to me he had no consideration for the trauma he was inflicting on others by his actions, which to me contradicts "Christian" actions, too.

As you said, a trial would have brought out more evidence, and without a trial, we'll never know. But the fact that a trial would bring out more evidence most likely was the reason for his actions.

Mr. Canada was quick to cast a stone, I don't deny that. But I have to wonder at this teacher's actions had he been innocent. As I said, the kids will have to carry the burden of his death. Seems odd that a caring teacher wouldn't consider that. Furthermore, the subway driver has to have been deeply traumatized. Why didn't he do away with himself without involving someone else if nothing more that "a false accusation" drove him to suicide?

Furthermore, if he were a member of a Christian Church organization and involved to the extent that a false accusation could make him as distressed as a true one, wouldn't suicide be against his/the church's principles? And it seems to me he had no consideration for the trauma he was inflicting on others by his actions, which to me contradicts "Christian" actions, too.

As you said, a trial would have brought out more evidence, and without a trial, we'll never know. But the fact that a trial would bring out more evidence most likely was the reason for his actions.

Hey, you're talking logic! Faith and logic are two totally different principles.

I'm trying not to be biased but all we know is that he worked at a Christian facility. We don't know how smart he was or how logical.

Nonetheless, it would be safe to assume that he was a human being, with human feelings. At least, until and if a trial had proven differently. As I had said, I would be the first to call for capital punishment of a convicted pedophile, but I would be the LAST to want to convict him without a trial!

I certainly would not advocate taking justice into my own hands just to put myself on a pedestal. That's not about justice, or religion either. It's just about ego.

Guest American Woman
.... I would be the LAST to want to convict him without a trial!

Questioning his actions isn't "convicting" him. I have no desire to convict him without a trial either, but that doesn't mean I don't have any thoughts about his actions. I think it would be odd not to. The two kids who reported him are certainly going to be 'judged' by some as the reason/cause for this teacher's death. Guilty or innocent, I think he took the coward's way out while hurting people in the process. One can realize he's "human," with "human feelings," and still feel that way. After all, cowardice is a "human feeling," too. I just don't see the need to go overboard protecting him when other people are involved too, because of his actions. He chose to take his life, and there will be consequences to his decision. One of the consequences is that people will tend to view his suicide as guilt. Another consequence is that, if he were innocent, his name will never be cleared in a court of law, and since his name won't be cleared, the allegations will likely be what's remembered.

Edited to add:

Re: The two kids who reported him are certainly going to be 'judged' by some as the reason/cause for this teacher's death.

This is happening already:

"He was extremely good man and a brilliant teacher -- and he was driven to his death. And I'm very sad about this," Jarvis Collegiate teacher Mary Jane Purcell told CTV Toronto on Monday about David Dewees.

"A lot of children are going to be very sad. There's going to be different stages of grief, and I'm angry." link

So "he was driven to his death" and Ms. Purcell is "angry." Evidently she's already found him innocent and the kids guilty of making false accusations. What is this teaching kids? Not to report inappropriate sexual behavior by adults? And if they do, they may be "driving" the adult to suicide?

Edited again to add:

Re my earlier comment: Furthermore, the subway driver has to have been deeply traumatized.

Toronto subway driver haunted by suicide of teacher charged with sex crimes

"As soon as I saw him jump, I put the train in emergency and was holding on," said Pett, who is now off-duty undergoing counselling.

"He was on the tracks," he said. "I was in total shock, you know, like 'Is this actually happening?'

"I could see him looking at me," Pett said. "There was nothing I could do. I felt so helpless ... I couldn't stop it fast enough.

"It's pretty scary, it just keeps going over and over in my mind. It keeps playing over and over."

Edited by American Woman

There's never an excuse for suicide, it's a cowards way out, every time.

I don't know enough to comment on his innocence or guilt, but it's a tragic story nonetheless.

If it does turn out he was innocent, then it will be a powerful lesson for people about the ramifications of false allegations.

If it turns out he's guilty, then we're all better off, although the impact on the kids could be significant.

So because this person was a teacher he gets a free pass and the benefit of the doubt but when it's a priest that hasn't been convicted everyone is treating him like he's guilty. Happens every time a priest is charged with allegations. He isn't convicted either but everyone jumps and treats him like he is but when it's a teacher we're supposed to look the other way?

Exactly the same thing but two different professions if you will. This is a double standard if you ask me.

I'm not defending either here as I would treat both with the same amount of disgust as LE doesn't just charge people willy nilly there has to be evidence and investigation in either case. If the police don't have evidence they don't apply charges. Trust me this is something I have experience in, ok.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Guest TrueMetis
So because this person was a teacher he gets a free pass and the benefit of the doubt but when it's a priest that hasn't been convicted everyone is treating him like he's guilty?

Exactly the same thing but two different professions if you will. This is a double standard if you ask me.

How do you just assume that everyone here is saying give the guy a fair trial but wouldn't give a fair trial to a preist?

Edited by TrueMetis

How do you just assume that everyone here is saying give the guy a fair trial but wouldn't give a fair trial to a preist?

Go read the comments on the media site(CBC, Globe, Tor STar etc) about this story then go read one where a priest has been charged but not yet convicted. Huge difference.

Again I'm not supporting either one of these types of cases, they both disgust me and would both have me wanting the same conclusion. I just thought of this so I thought I'd post it as it seems to be true in this case.

So because this person was a teacher he gets a free pass and the benefit of the doubt but when it's a priest that hasn't been convicted everyone is treating him like he's guilty. Happens every time a priest is charged with allegations. He isn't convicted either but everyone jumps and treats him like he is but when it's a teacher we're supposed to look the other way?

I'm not defending either here as I would treat both with the same amount of disgust as LE doesn't just charge people willy nilly there has to be evidence and investigation in either case. If the police don't have evidence they don't apply charges. Trust me this is something I have experience in, ok.

No one is giving the teacher a free pass. No one has mentioned any priests in this thread, except for you!

My issue was solely and only about convicting and crucifying someone just on a charge having been made.

As for "Trust me this is something I have experience in, ok", sorry! Before I trust someone I need a good reason. So far you haven't given me one!

As for the police not applying charges without evidence, tell it to Stephen Truscott and Donald Marshall. On a much more minor matter, I have experience myself that taught me different. Trust me, ok!

Just out of curiosity, when does "god" mention anything about raping children in the bible? I thought he was too concerned with people doubting his authority to bother with such petty concerns.