Unrest reported in Tory ranks

Stelmach and Klien never were part of the alberta conservatism school of thought, One was a liberal liberal the other is a fool. The Alberta school of conservatism was the first PC Premier and ended under the next, it then transformed and moved to the federal stage under reform and finds its stewart now under Tom Flanigan.

The only conservative in the PC party is the name itself, it transformed into the liberal party many years ago.

You ought to look up the No True Scotsman fallacy. Your argument above is as good an example as I've ever seen.

Could you be specific as to what in Alberta Conservatism represents any sort of fiscal management.

Your statement proves exactly what I was saying about Ed the Idiot being too far left. There was money there until the PC Liberals of Alberta got control of the helm.

Right now Alberta's economy is tanking, and until the price of oil gets back up, it will continue to do so.

Actually, the economy is pretty much fine. The deficit is simply a matter of uncontrolled Liberal spending in this province. Revenues are still head and shoulders above any other place in Canada.

There's no particular sound financial management in Alberta.

Not at the moment there isn't. Agreed.

I would imagine the Saudi government is probably more fiscally prudent than either King Ralph "Liquor" Klein or Ed Doormat ever were.

I would imagine that Howard the Duck or Barney would probably be more fiscally prudent than Ed the Communist. That being said, in his first two terms, Ralph was somewhat of a financial genius (in an idiot-savant kind of way). He made the hard choices and let the more intelligent carry out the work.

In his last term, he was a meathead.

See? THERE ya go Jack. Way to represent the "East vs West" debate (still alive and kicking). It only matters what people "east of the Manitoba border" think, huh? I'm sure people in "Beamsville, Ontario" are the height of the cosmopolitan world and know what's best for all of us, right?

God probably would help this country if it is forced (kinda like the Third Reich) to endure Alberta thinking. Heaven forbid we should have accountability on the part of criminals, low taxes, and an immigration system that actually makes sense. The Conservatives are just waiting to force all of those voters on election day.

I did'nt say that only everyong East of Manitoba matter.It's self evident that the ideology of the provinces East of Manitoba are far diferent,and more urban,than than the prairies and the BC hinterland.The problam with folks in the West,and Alberta in particular,is that you seem to have this almost visveral anger towards anyone that is'nt interested in Alberta's own form of conservativism.In otherwords,I always hear that,"The West wants in!".The fact is,you folks only want in on your ideological terms.

By the way,I live in the riding of Niagara-West Glanbrook.It's a decidedly rural riding,and shocker of shockers,most of the rural inhabitants keep electing Dean Allison.Franklly,the typical simple minded bumper sticker sloganeering seems to go over well with the folks here.I've seem there ilk at all candidates meetings.All I can say is.... :o:o:o

Nice talking points in the other paragraphs.You don't seem to realize that we went through a "Reform" style gov't here during the Harris years.I see Stevie TimBit has put some of the Harrisite thugs in key cabinet positions,so that's all I need to know about the sorry direction he'll take this country if given carte blanche to do so.

Sorry,you can take your "Alberta thinking" and stick it...This proud "Eastern Bastard" does'nt need it at all...

You ought to look up the No True Scotsman fallacy. Your argument above is as good an example as I've ever seen.

In a one party province where do think the policians go? Anyone here knows that the real electon is the nomination contest not the election.

You right god help this country, with out it (alberta conservativism) who knows how low we would have sunk into recession with the three stooges at the helm.

You do realize that Stevie TimBit is simply following coalition marching orders because he almost lost the keys to the castle last December?

Are you suggesting we should have followed the sage advice of Jim Flaharty,who's incompetence is well known to us Ontarians(Let's jail the homeless on compassionate grounds!),with his "don't worry,be happy" routine?

Is that the Alberta/Harris conservative sanity your referring to?

You do realize that Stevie TimBit is simply following coalition marching orders because he almost lost the keys to the castle last December?

Would this be a prudent time to remind you that Harper is from Toronto?

Are you suggesting we should have followed the sage advice of Jim Flaharty,who's incompetence is well known to us Ontarians(Let's jail the homeless on compassionate grounds!),with his "don't worry,be happy" routine?

Would this be a prudent time to remind you that Jim works for the guy from Toronto?

Is that the Alberta/Harris conservative sanity your referring to?

Back up. I already said that Alberta hasn't been governed by conservatives in quite a while.

Would this be a prudent time to remind you that Harper is from Toronto?

Would this be a prudent time to remind you that Jim works for the guy from Toronto?

Back up. I already said that Alberta hasn't been governed by conservatives in quite a while.

1.Irrelevent!It's clear he has embraced Alberta as his ideological homeland.I'm sure you know he was the one who felt that Alberta required a firewall.

2.Slasher Jimmy is an incompetent Harrisite thug.He was one of the more vocal Canadian Alliance mouthpieces,and,a very good disciple of Stevie TimBit's special brand of conservativism.In otherwords,he's an incompetent "yes" man.I think it would be prudent for you to understand the Alberta and Mike Harris' ideology go hand in hand.

3.Says you...It's just not the virulent brand of conservativism you desire....

That is very funny.

Part of the anger from some p[osters here is the reality that Calgary has dominated the PC Party and the govt for decades, and Stelmach defeated both the Calgary boys- Dinning the smoothy corpoarate favorite and Morton the horror show fundamentalist. People who shit on Alberta for being a redneck, right wing heartland forget how Stelmach came to power, in a visceral rejection of all that.

Stelmach is a commie to them, while being a redneck Bushbot to the rest of Canada. Hilarious.

fellowtraveler, I think you make a good point. Alberta has a reputation of being rabidly right wing but you have to be careful about drawing too many conclusions from the makeup of the government. It's true that 87% of the MP's are Conservative or Wildrose alliance but if you look at the numbers behind the election,, you can see a different story. Like the rest of us, Alberta uses a crazy, undemocratic, first-past-the-post voting system that badly distorts the wishes of the electorate.

In last year's election, the Conservative Party actually got just under 53% of the vote and the Wild Rose Alliance got not many more votes than the Green Party. Compared to other provinces, 53% may seem pretty solid but Alberta isn't the homogenous province of knuckle-draggers that a lot of people see. The voter turnout was incredibly low at just over 40%. That means that the Conservatives actually got a little over 20% of the votes of eligible voters. This is a story of apathy and disengagement.

I'm going to form the 'none of the above ' party and kick ass.

Edited by ReeferMadness

Stelmach very nearly lost the election (remember it was all or nothing in the end). Morton would have made many people in this province very happy. Hopefully he runs again when Eddie the Communist gets booted. The PC's may have no choice but to run him if the Wildrose gains power.

Lost the election? He was a distant third in a three man field right up unitl it looked like the grotesque Christian fundamentalist dinosaur Morton was going to slither up the middle and turn Alberta into Gods Dominion with Ted himself as our very own Prophet.

Instead, many many formerly passive Albertans joined the Tories for a day, plopped down their $5 and gave the fundamentalist cretins the smackdown they richly deserve. I can tolerate a larger dose of fiscal conservatism, but Mortons disgusting and archaic views on women and social issues means he'll never be elected in this province. His message died with Bible Bill Aberhart.

It is astosnishing that you and other Morton supporters did not get that message last time.

Try again, you'll get the same asswhipping.

Alberta is not rural Alabama.