UN Opens with Festivities; Circus Comes to Town

jbg

There's a wild party going on down in New York City tonight, and you're footing the bill.

The United Nations, including its various "peacekeeping" and "anti-poverty" agencies spend upwards of $27 billion per year. I do not think that peace has broken out in the world since 1945; quite the contrary. We get treated to the spectacle of leaders from around the world coming in and making grand and not-so-grand speeches. Huge amounts of money pour in from U.S., Japanese, British and Canadian taxpayers for what purpose?; to listen to Ahmenejad's diatribes.

If non-Western dictators hate us, let them rant elsewhere, and at their own (not mine or their peoples') expense.

The party must be grand; they've shut down the FDR and lots of other roads for it. Someone's having a good time. And politicians (excerps below, including such luminaries as Obama and Ahmejenejad) bloviate.

Published: September 23, 2009

UNITED NATIONS — President Obama, in his first visit to the opening of the United Nations General Assembly, made progress Wednesday on two key issues, wringing a concession from Russia to consider tough new sanctions against Iran and securing support from Moscow and Beijing for a Security Council resolution to curb nuclear weapons.

Doug Mills/The New York Times

UNITED NATIONS — President Obama, in his first visit to the opening of the United Nations General Assembly, made progress Wednesday on two key issues, wringing a concession from Russia to consider tough new sanctions against Iran and securing support from Moscow and Beijing for a Security Council resolution to curb nuclear weapons.

The successes came as Mr. Obama told leaders that the United States intended to begin a new era of engagement with the world, in a sweeping address to the General Assembly in which he sought to clearly delineate differences between himself and the administration of President George W. Bush.

One of the fruits of those differences — although White House officials were loath to acknowledge any quid pro quo publicly — emerged during Mr. Obama’s meeting on Wednesday afternoon with President Dmitri A. Medvedev of Russia, the first between the two since Mr. Obama decided to replace Mr. Bush’s missile defense program in Eastern Europe with a version less threatening to Moscow.

With a beaming Mr. Obama standing next to him, Mr. Medvedev signaled for the first time that Russia would be amenable to longstanding American requests to toughen sanctions against Iran significantly if, as expected, nuclear talks scheduled for next month failed to make progress.

“I told His Excellency Mr. President that we believe we need to help Iran to take a right decision,” Mr. Medvedev said, adding that “sanctions rarely lead to productive results, but in some cases, sanctions are inevitable.”

White House officials could barely hide their glee. “I couldn’t have said it any better myself,” a delighted Michael McFaul, Mr. Obama’s senior adviser for democracy and Russia, told reporters after the meeting. He insisted nonetheless that the administration had not tried to buy Russia’s cooperation with its decision to scrap the missile shield in Europe in favor of a reconfigured system.

The circus continues in another ring, with a thug proclaiming his "re-election" as “glorious and fully democratic.”

By MARK LANDLER and NAZILA FATHI

Published: September 23, 2009

UNITED NATIONS — With thousands of demonstrators protesting outside that he had stolen Iran’s election, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stoutly defended his legitimacy here on Wednesday, declaring in a speech that the Iranian “people entrusted me once more with a large majority” in a ballot he described as “glorious and fully democratic.”

In a 35-minute address, Mr. Ahmadinejad leveled familiar attacks against the United States and delivered an oblique rant against Jews, saying it was unacceptable for a “small minority” to dominate the politics and economy of much of the world through “private networks.” But he did not raise the Holocaust, the subject of another anti-Semitic theme he has used in speeches.

Many people felt the same amount of respect about Bush around the world as we do about Ahmadinejad.

Most of our countries are signatories to the United Nations. It's part of the deal.

My husband, who is American, does not like the fact that billions of US taxpayer money goes to Jordan, Egypt and Israel every year. $27 million is nothing compared to that.

Many people felt the same amount of respect about Bush around the world as we do about Ahmadinejad.
A bit of hyperbole maybe?
Most of our countries are signatories to the United Nations. It's part of the deal.
Part of what deal? The U.N. has blown up from a minor factor to a black hole and a counterproductive one at that.
My husband, who is American, does not like the fact that billions of US taxpayer money goes to Jordan, Egypt and Israel every year. $27 million is nothing compared to that.

Billion, not million. At for what benefit?

The UN is getting less relevant everyday. Durban II, UNRWA, crazes dictators blathering on about the evils of Western Civilization, the list goes on...I'm sure the UN building could actually be turned into something useful like up-scale apartments.

Here is the text of Ahmadinejads speech. He doesn't talk about jews very much at all... but he does talk about a small group of "zionists" and their influence over the economy,

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/septemb..._un_9-23-09.php

I believe thats what your news article means by his "small minority".

Of course, no one bothered to criticise Ghadaffy, the new darling boy of the western political elite... despite the fact he openly supported terrorist financial funding and training, and was probably involved in the Lockerbie bombing. But, thats all water on the bridge now, isn't it. They even let the bomber guy out of jail a few weeks ago... I'm sure it made Ghadaffy very happy.

"What we don't know keeps the contracts alive and moving."

Edited by Sir Bandelot

The Colonel was having a hard time finding a camping spot if I recall. I don't think Americans have forgotten this fellow.

Actually he tried to pitch his "tent" on Trump's estate, about 20 Km. from my house. He was run of of town pretty fast.

The Bedford Building Department did what the U.S. State Department lacked the moral spine to do; tell that creep to go home.

Here is the text of Ahmadinejads speech. He doesn't talk about jews very much at all... but he does talk about a small group of "zionists" and their influence over the economy,

By Zionists....he doesn't name them, only calls them a miniority which controls the world. The minority of coarse are Jews.

Of course this comes from a part of the world that believes the Protocols are non fiction.

By Zionists....he doesn't name them, only calls them a miniority which controls the world. The minority of coarse are Jews.

Of course this comes from a part of the world that believes the Protocols are non fiction.

Although I will not try to defend Ahmadinejad, I doubt he means all jews. I have read that there is a certain population of jews living in Iran, and apparently they are tolerated.

Quick check on google confirms this-

In the midst of tensions between the U.S and Iran and between Iran and Israel, Iranian-Jewish Americans and Israelis offered money to the remaining Jews in Iran in order to help them relocate to California and/or Israel. In August 2007, the Iranian Jews in Iran, responded by saying they "resent such transparent political enticements."

Iran's Jewish community is officially recognized as a religious minority group by the government, and, like the Zoroastrians, they are allocated one seat in the Iranian Parliament. In 2000, former Jewish MP Manuchehr Eliasi estimated that at that time there were still 30,000–35,000 Jews in Iran, other sources put the figure as low as 20,000–25,000.

Today Tehran has 11 functioning synagogues, many of them with Hebrew schools. It has two kosher restaurants, an old-age home and a cemetery. There is a Jewish library with 20,000 titles. Iranian Jews have their own newspaper (called "Ofogh-e-Bina") with Jewish scholars performing Judaic research at Tehran's "Central Library of Jewish Association". The "Dr. Sapir Jewish Hospital" is Iran's largest charity hospital of any religious minority community in the country; however, most of its patients and staff are Muslim.

Conditions

The Constitution of Iran says that Jews are equal to Muslims. Imam Khomeini visited with members of the Jewish community and issued a decree ordering the adherents of Judaism and other revealed religions to be protected. Jews are entitled to self-administration and one member of the 290-seat Majlis is elected by only Jews. Jewish burial rites and divorce laws are accepted by Islamic courts. Tehran has over 20 synagogues. Iran has one of only four Jewish charity hospitals in the world. The hospital has received donations from top Iranian officials, including President Ahmadinejad. Kosher butcher shops are available in Iran. There are Hebrew schools and coeducation is allowed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Jews

Thus, your assessment of the jewish situation in Iran, or the attitude of the government and people of Iran toward the Jews at large, seems full of hooey.

Thus, your assessment of the jewish situation in Iran, or the attitude of the government and people of Iran toward the Jews at large, seems full of hooey.

Your conclusion, that the dhimmi jews in Iran, who live in fear of the state (as do B'hai and other minorities) is represetitive of how Iran feels about non dhimmi jews world wide, is fanciful.

Never the less.Amindingdong said what he said...

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd do a quick search for 'hyperbole' and here you are accusing somebody of that because they said that many respect the leader of Iran more than Bush.

Now. You accused Obama of hating the USA.

So.

Here we are.

jbg is not here to debate or reply to criticism of his comments and approach to debating. he is only here to propagate an agenda.