First confirmed rocky planet found outside solar system

Bonam

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/09/16/n...ref=mpstoryview

I think this is really exciting. Our detection capabilities are getting to the point where we are starting to detect planets of the same type of the Earth in other solar systems. With the Kepler mission under way and others to be launched in the coming decade, it's only a matter of time before we discover planets that are very Earth-like.

Hatzes, explaining that one side of the body is always facing the star and the other side always faces away, said the side "facing the sun is probably molten. The other side could actually have ice" if there is water on the planet.

This implies a terminator in which temperatures are constantly inside the so-called "Goldilocks" range that life as we know it needs.

This implies a terminator in which temperatures are constantly inside the so-called "Goldilocks" range that life as we know it needs.

Yeah I was thinking that too as I read the article. Of course we don't really know what the interplay of the various effects would really create in terms of an environment there, but interesting nonetheless.

2000 degrees C on the day-side...-200 on the night-side. Incredible.

Indeed it certainly is incredible. Just the shear alien-ness of some of these places, the way that we keep finding surprise after surprise. It's just really cool.

It is unlikely there would be a stable atmosphere at such a terminator.

Yes, even if the planet had any atmosphere at all, which is unlikely given how close it is to the star, I can hardly begin to imagine the kind of "wind" that would be generated by such a huge temperature gradient.

If the planet has some mountains in the vicinity of the terminator though, and if those mountains had some caves... who knows... the possibilities are really endless.

I think what this particular discovery shows is that that solar system would be a great candidate to train some planet-finding telescope on though, when possible, to find some more rocky planets perhaps further away from the star.

Edited by Bonam

• 1 year later...