Harper cabinet unleashes flood of patronage

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...830?hub=QPeriod

Weeks before Stephen Harper named some of his closest Tory friends to the Senate, his cabinet quietly approved a flood of appointments to federal boards that also rewarded party faithful.

At least 20 of the 111 appointments made Aug. 4 went to identifiable federal and provincial Conservative donors and supporters.

That includes a failed candidate in Vancouver, a top organizer with the Nova Scotia party, and a would-be Senate nominee from Alberta.

Often when you look even more deeply at appointments, there is a Tory connection.

For example, the appointment of Manitoba's Lieutenant-Governor failed to mention he ran for the PCs in an election.

Often when you look even more deeply at appointments, there is a Tory connection.

For example, the appointment of Manitoba's Lieutenant-Governor failed to mention he ran for the PCs in an election.

Now you have 2 posts crying and whining about the same thing...Hahaha.

Do you ever take a breath and realize that you liberals had power for 13 years....Isn't that long enough?

What a non-story. After all the reporters digging, they could only come up with 20 out of 111 - that's 18%. In the last electiuon, almost 40% voted Conservative so the chances of a Conservative connection is pretty high. The important part of this non-story is that 91 of the 111 appointments appear to have no significant Tory connection. I'm flabbergasted that there were not more connections - if anything, to protect Canadians in the event the Liberals get in again and go back to the entitlement trough.

What a non-story. After all the reporters digging, they could only come up with 20 out of 111 - that's 18%. In the last electiuon, almost 40% voted Conservative so the chances of a Conservative connection is pretty high. The important part of this non-story is that 91 of the 111 appointments appear to have no significant Tory connection. I'm flabbergasted that there were not more connections - if anything, to protect Canadians in the event the Liberals get in again and go back to the entitlement trough.

The problem with the Tories is Canadians are always in doubt to which ideas Harper will use the Alliances or the progressive conservatives. We know he does keep his word, we know a lot of his member have gotten away with things that the Tories , themslves wouldn't let the Libs or NDP away with. We don't exactly how bad the deficit is and I really don't like the character of some of the members, they are loud and you can trust what they say or do. Harper said he was going to paint Canada blue, well, right now, I like the colours of the flag!

Now you have 2 posts crying and whining about the same thing...Hahaha.

Why do the Tories whine about Liberals doing this when they can't wait to do it themselves?

Do you ever take a breath and realize that you liberals had power for 13 years....Isn't that long enough?

And it looks like Liberals are still in power since the Tories do exactly the same thing when in power.

Edited by jdobbin

I rather doubt there is no connection. You often just have to look a little deeper.

As I said, there was no connection made at first with Harper's choice of the new Lieutenant Governor in Manitoba. There is very little institutional memory for many now. Harper's choice was a former PC candidate.

The Tories are now bellying up to the trough now.

Edited by jdobbin

As I said, there was no connection made at first with Harper's choice of the new Lieutenant Governor in Manitoba. There is very little institutional memory for many now. Harper's choice was a former PC candidate.

I don't see how that's of much importance; former successful politicians have often been made Lieutenant Governors. Besides his failed candidacy 30 years ago, his credentials look quite impressive.

(Interestingly, I note you just edited his bio article at Wikipedia; without verifiable sources! Tut, tut... ;) )

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

I don't see how that's of much importance; former successful politicians have often been made Lieutenant Governors. Besides his failed candidacy 30 years ago, his credentials look quite impressive.

Didn't question his credentials. Just commented if you dig deep enough, you can often find political connections to the party in power.

(Interestingly, I note you just edited his bio article at Wikipedia; without verifiable sources! Tut, tut... ;) )

[+]

Based on my own memory of the election and the list of leadership candidates from 1977 which is footnoted on the 1977 Manitoba election page.

It was missed on his bio page because he ran under Philip Lee. He goes formally under Philip S. Lee. I corrected that. Wish I could post the election photo but I don't have the rights to it.

Edited by jdobbin

Didn't question his credentials. Just commented if you dig deep enough, you can often find political connections to the party in power.

Unfortunately, yes, that is frequently the case; some more closely linked than others (Lee's predecessor, for instance). Still, some turn out to be fine viceroys, such as Iona Campagnolo.

Based on my own memory of the election and the list of leadership candidates from 1977 which is footnoted on the 1977 Manitoba election page.

It was missed on his bio page because he ran under Philip Lee. He goes formally under Philip S. Lee. I corrected that. Wish I could post the election photo but I don't have the rights to it.

Thanks for all your digging Dobbin. You've found a 30 year old connection. Maybe if you keep at it, you'll find a couple more. I'm sure the reporters did their best and all they could find was 20 out of 111. Maybe one of the appointees' grandfathers was a Conservative. As I said - what a non-story.

Unfortunately, yes, that is frequently the case; some more closely linked than others (Lee's predecessor, for instance). Still, some turn out to be fine viceroys, such as Iona Campagnolo.

I think he will do a fine job. Just as the Dumont, who had Tory connections before, did well before Harvard.

Thanks for all your digging Dobbin. You've found a 30 year old connection. Maybe if you keep at it, you'll find a couple more. I'm sure the reporters did their best and all they could find was 20 out of 111. Maybe one of the appointees' grandfathers was a Conservative. As I said - what a non-story.

I know that some people think that government appointments should be non-stories but I feel every position should be scrutinized. If not for political connections that might affect decision-making then for business or family connections.

You think they should be ignored, regarded as unimportant, not worth examining?

I don't get it, are you suggesting Harper should be appointing Liberals to these positions? Elections have consequences. And appointments are part of them. Stop whining like a little baby. It's pathetic.

I don't get it, are you suggesting Harper should be appointing Liberals to these positions? Elections have consequences. And appointments are part of them. Stop whining like a little baby. It's pathetic.

I think what is pathetic is that your party said they would be different. Stop whining when people point out that they aren't different and stop making excuses for it.

I think what is pathetic is that your party said they would be different. Stop whining when people point out that they aren't different and stop making excuses for it.

Unfortunately, a party in the minority can't make those kinds changes needed to reform the system. And the other party's won't play ball. So don't expect them to let the opportunity to make appointments pass. You're being quite disingenious. As usual.

I don't really see much here. It seems they did a pretty good job overall in finding non Conservatives. They could always do better of course, but such are the failings of humanity.

I'm sure a few of the appointments are further examples of hypocrisy though.

Unfortunately, a party in the minority can't make those kinds changes needed to reform the system. And the other party's won't play ball. So don't expect them to let the opportunity to make appointments pass. You're being quite disingenious. As usual.

You are been quite dishonest. As usual.

The system can't be reformed without a constitutional amendment.

Of course, people who are supposed to be conservatives are constantly trying to radically change a government system that has worked well here since 1867, and long before that in the UK. The funny thing is though, most of them wouldn't be satisfied no matter what change took place.

Of course, people who are supposed to be conservatives are constantly trying to radically change a government system that has worked well here since 1867, and long before that in the UK.

Indeed; the original notion of conservatism has sadly died here in Canada, only its ghost living on as the rotted corpse of neo-conservatism, which is just a synonym for libertarianism.