NDP Convention

I told you... I don't talk Manitoba.. I reserve that for you :)

Then maybe he will be the next Federal Leader. Does he speak Frenc?

Not a lick.

Don't know if he would want to sit in Opposition at all either for any party. He had been suggested as a possible Liberal candidate too. However, I know many Liberals who know him personally in this province who would not vote for him if he ran under the banner.

Considering that the PCs could go to 2 seats from a Majority in 1993, and the NDP reduced to 8 or something, suggests that no party is safe. However Liberals are often arrogant, forgetful and few remember 40 in 84.

Oh, Liberals remember that. I think some people are forgetful of the arrogant talk from the NDP about replacing the Liberals at the time.

Erm. Ed left at the height of NDP acceptance, in seats, votes and popularity of its leader vs the leaders of the other party in 1988.

"When he stepped down after 15 years as federal leader of the NDP in 1989".

The vote and seat count didn't go "the other way" until mid 1993 during a period of two unpopular NDP Premiers and a rookie Federal Leader.

You are correct about the seat count and the vote. I meant the Liberal seat count and percentage of vote went the other way than what the NDP expected in the election. They went up.

The 1988 election is where the NDP felt they were on their way to a breakthrough in supplanting the Liberals. There was huge disappointment that it didn't happen.

Turner was already on the way out and there was a feeling that the NDP could make that final push past the Liberals with a new leader.

Again, that is how Liberals think, I don't believe there is a New Democrat out there who thinks his/her seat is safe. Tommy Douglas, David Lewis, are among those who lost seats. John Tory proved Provincially that a "Safe PC seat" with 60% majority in a riding that had never seen red, since its creation, could be lost.

Around here we have some yellow dog ridings. They are known as such as because a yellow dog could run in the seat and as long as they had the right party banner, they would win.

The LPC are a terrible opposition party. They even let the CPC pull the plug on them, while voting with the CPC 100%. Fact is, with the LPC being the lapdogs of the CPC, I already saw one unnecessary election in 08.

It is why Liberals shouldn't be surprised if the Tories call a snap election this fall.

I don't think there is any real benefit to stringing things along if the Tories go ahead with an election anyway.

Hint...

the NDP platform doesn't change ;)

Probably why they are stuck where they are.

And I have no use for those experts. Small business is driving the damned economy, and small business has been carrying the load in job creation. Manitoba is the best set Province during this downturn.

Here is one of the problems with this:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...-must-stay.aspx

Overall, the combined federal-provincial small business tax rate is about 16% on small business profits and 31% on large and other business profits. This means that as firms grow in size and earn more profit, they end up being hit with almost a double rate of tax.

Manitoba is not much different than other provinces except for the fact that we have more diversified businesses of fair size.

My view is that many people set small businesses as a tax avoidance measure. It is a good way to shelter income.

Many of the studies over the years have disputed that jobs growth is better on the small business front.

Maybe they are just doing it right after all.... but then... I say again. I don't understand Manitoba, which is why I rely on you to inform me.

Manitoba has been very lucky to have diversified businesses.

Still, this could be a terrible year given the crop coming in. As much as people would like to think Manitoba is not deeply affected by agriculture production, we are.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still fail to understand why Liberal supporters spend more energy attacking the NDP, than they do attacking the Conservatives. It's a pretty standard rule in politics, that you always wanna shoot up, not down. You just end up lowering yourself, while elevating those who you're attacking.

Bad political instincts.

I still fail to understand why Liberal supporters spend more energy attacking the NDP, than they do attacking the Conservatives. It's a pretty standard rule in politics, that you always wanna shoot up, not down. You just end up lowering yourself, while elevating those who you're attacking.

There are liberal votes that flow back and forth between NDP and Liberals and between Tories and Liberals. Analyzing the results of past elections bare that out.

You can't ignore the other parties in a multi-party system.

And Harper is always to make a point that the Liberals and NDP are tied together.

The CPC have been excellent at telling that Whopper and getting away with it.

The LPC have voted 100% 79 times out of 79 with the Harper Government.

The NDP have voted against the Harper Government.

We see who is tied to whom.

Politics is the art of manipulating the public into believing what you want them to beleive, not necessarily the truth.

I still fail to understand why Liberal supporters spend more energy attacking the NDP, than they do attacking the Conservatives.

The CPC, CPC supporters and the rightwing media do a fine job of attacking the NDP.

That is normal in politics. There are CPC swing votes in the NDP, just as there are LPC swing votes in the NDP, just as there are CPC swing votes in the LPC and LPC swing votes in the CPC.

IIRC there is a right wing poster on MLW with an attack on Jack Layton in his signature.

There is a myth that the NDP are LPCs in a hurray.

Is it not the BC Liberals that were resurrected as a coalition to keep out the NDP?

Did not the Sask party grow out of the ambers of the disgraced PCs and essentially join with LPC supporters to take on the NDP?

The LPC are no different then the CPC or the NDP when it comes to expending energy on their rivals.

What political parties try to do is get it so that the other parties leave them alone.

Who honestly cares what this fringe party does?

They are wanting to call themselves the Democratic party because of Obama and no other reason. could someone please tell these NDP'ers that the Dem Party in the USA is more right wing than the Tories here in Canada. I don't think they know that.

This hero worship by Layton and his band of history teachers is laughable at best and pathetic at worst.

Who honestly cares what this fringe party does?
IIRC, it is people in the mainstream that reject many of your positions.
They are wanting to call themselves the Democratic party because of Obama and no other reason. could someone please tell these NDP'ers that the Dem Party in the USA is more right wing than the Tories here in Canada. I don't think they know that.
IIRC, it was one of many resolutions, and obviously had no support either heading towards the convention, during the convention or apparently after the convention. Other then some pundits, media, some of us here, there never appeared to be a buzz in NDP circles, or few that can be found. I don't think it is to anyones surprise that the Dems are to the right of Harper and Obama to the Left of Ignatief.
This hero worship by Layton and his band of history teachers is laughable at best and pathetic at worst.

You tell em... GO BUSH!!! :P