Suaad Hagi Mohamud & Passport

Suaad Hagi Mohamud's Nairobi nightmare could ultimately lead to better protection for Canadians who find themselves in trouble abroad.

Liberal MP and foreign affairs critic Bob Rae said he and his colleagues will attempt to force the Conservative government to consider legal changes designed to bolster the rights of Canadians travelling outside the country when Parliament resumes next month.

Rae said Ottawa's responsibilities in helping Canadians in delicate, desperate situations should be enshrined in law.

"My own view is there's a need for Parliament to consider this issue ...," he said.

Toronto Star

Before Bob Rae jumps on this case for partisan purposes, it might be wiser to think of other mistakes of government bureaucrats:

It remains to be seen if the Ontario pathologist whose flawed testimony led to convictions of innocent people will pay a price

A common thread runs through every wrongful conviction case that has convulsed the Canadian justice system: Authority figures are not held accountable.

The question of accountability looms large again, as the Goudge commission has just concluded its inquiry into massive failings by Charles Smith and the Ontario Office of the Chief Coroner. In the aftermath of an inquiry that exposed a startling degree of dysfunction in the coroner's system, will Dr. Smith - or anyone else - pay a price?

Mr. Justice Stephen Goudge's hands will be tied when it comes to making findings of criminal or civil liability in his report, scheduled for release in late spring or summer.

Testimony and documents filed at the inquiry are off limits as far as criminal charges or professional discipline are concerned. They may be employed as an investigative tool by outside agencies, but not used as evidence.

Link

Or how about the woman misdiagnosed in Newfoundland:

In the spring of 2006, Lewis heard a report about questionable breast cancer tests while watching the evening news.

She later contacted the Eastern Health authority and was told that hers was among 2,000 tests dating back to May 1997 that were sent to Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital for retesting after oncologists raised questions about their validity.

She says Eastern Health officials told her in July 2006 that her breast cancer wasn't as advanced as she was led to believe when she had her double mastectomy, and that the chemotherapy she was given was unnecessary.

"When he told me that I wasn't going to die of breast cancer because I didn't have it, I only had precancer cells, that's when I broke down," Lewis said.

"It destroyed my life."

Link

Or how about Steven Truscott? Or even Maher Arar? Bureaucrats merely questioned Suaad Hagi Mohamud's citizenship until proof was provided.

-----

I suspect that cases such as Suaad Hagi Mohamud will occur more in the future. Canadian officials abroad will increasingly face doubtful claims of citizenship and will be reticent to issue a new passport without further verification.

Finally, it is ironic that someone (Bob Rae) who wants government bureaucrats to intervene more in our daily life should now object to the activities of government bureaucrats.

This is not just merely questioning of someone whose identity was not sure. For THREE months, a CANADIAN was the victim of what was at best gross incompetence and at worst wilful foot dragging by coonsular officials. It should not take three months to check someone's papers when the person in question provides everthing when asked.

The people who bungled that case should be fired. The minister who just sat silent and did nothing should be sacked. I do not care what party is in power. Sadly, there are some who are willing to just treat it as business as usual because their party of choice appears to be in power at the moment.

As for the need to enshrine the obligations of consular personnel in law, Rae is right. Others have made the same call, including former diplomats.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted quotation of re-copied entire Opening Post

Finally, it is ironic that someone (Bob Rae) who wants government bureaucrats to intervene more in our daily life should now object to the activities of government bureaucrats.

I think we know who is making partisan jabs right now.

The minister responsible for the file Lawrence Cannon has been absent from overseeing the people in his department.

Why do some newer Canadians insist on returning to countries that they supposedly spent their life trying to flee.....against the advice and warnings of our government? Any accusations of racism are disingenous - it's a fact that muslims and people of colour often come from countries that disrespect Human Rights and the rule of law - whereas "Westernized" countries are reasonably safe. Stay in Canada for heaven's sake.

Why do some newer Canadians insist on returning to countries that they supposedly spent their life trying to flee.....against the advice and warnings of our government? Any accusations of racism are disingenous - it's a fact that muslims and people of colour often come from countries that disrespect Human Rights and the rule of law - whereas "Westernized" countries are reasonably safe. Stay in Canada for heaven's sake.

Was there was a warning on Kenya?

What's really needed is the capacity for more public intervention in the activities of government bureacrats not to mention politicians.

I suspect both you and Bob Rae would be less than thrilled at that prospect.

First, Canadians are all canadians, whether or not they are born here or elsewhere.

Second, in case you missed that point, Ms. Mohamud was not born in Kenya, she was visiting her mother who has moved to Kenya a few years ago.

Third, there was no travel advisory regarding Kenya.

This has to be the most ridiculous argument I've heard!

Since when is any Canadian not allowed the freedom to go abroad to visit family?

However, I do think it's wise to update your passport photo as needed.

This is not just merely questioning of someone whose identity was not sure. For THREE months, a CANADIAN was the victim of what was at best gross incompetence and at worst wilful foot dragging by coonsular officials. It should not take three months to check someone's papers when the person in question provides everthing when asked.
Women in Newfoundland died because of misdiagnosis. Charles Smith put families through hell because of his errors.

These consular officials at most forced a Canadian citizen to wait three months to prove her citizenship.

What's really needed is the capacity for more public intervention in the activities of government bureacrats not to mention politicians.

I suspect both you and Bob Rae would be less than thrilled at that prospect.

You're right, eyeball. How to do this?
By the sounds of tonight news, it looks like she may be suing some indivduals or governments and I hope she wins.
Ugh. Canadian taxpayers will once again pay for the mistakes of government bureaucrats. What kind of incentive is that for bureaucrats? (Someone else pays for your mistakes.)
This has to be the most ridiculous argument I've heard!

Since when is any Canadian not allowed the freedom to go abroad to visit family?

However, I do think it's wise to update your passport photo as needed.

Tango, it's not a ridiculous argument at all. What world do you live in? In Canada, we may all be a wonderful multi-culti family but outside Canada, things are different.

Somali family relationships are complicated, and Somali descriptions of family even more complicated. As Dorothy said to Toto, "We're not in Kansas anymore."

------

I don't fault these consular officials for checking this woman's claim to Canadian citizenship. They did the job that we pay them to do. (Imagine if they issued a Canadian passport to any foreigner who showed up with a bogus claim?)

At the same time, I fear that we have no means to keep our burgeoning government bureaucracy in check. There's no accountability. Bureaucrats face the wrong incentives.

Lastly, as government bureaucratic errors go, this case is minor. In Newfoundland, women had mastectomies when they were not necessary. In Ontario, Charles Smith destroyed families.

This Somali-born woman had to wait. Before travelling abroad, she knew perfectly well that her citizenship would be questioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Canada has to be on guard against fraudulent claims. There are a lot of frauds from Africa and our government is doing our part to protect us. We don't need more illegals here to rape our women and murder our children. Thank God we live in a country that decides to scrutinize who it lets in once in a while hopefully the sieve is closing for the safety of its citizens.

I looked at both pictures and it really doesn't look like her that much so I can see why Canada said no at first. I think new refugees and immigrants should be fingerprinted and have blood drawn for a DNA database. That way we can scan their fingerprints and if the fingerprints are inconclusive provide DNA sample upon reentry to Canada. Then there is no question at all about who they are.

Protection of Canada and her citizens is more important than what any one person thinks of our system. Safety of the many trumps the privacy of one.

These consular officials at most forced a Canadian citizen to wait three months to prove her citizenship.

I don't fault these consular officials for checking this woman's claim to Canadian citizenship. They did the job that we pay them to do. (Imagine if they issued a Canadian passport to any foreigner who showed up with a bogus claim?)

If they had checked her claim there would be no problem.

The issue here is that they did not check her claim; they just denied it without anything close to adequate investigation.