Harper, Chinese foreign minister share warm moment

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090623/national/cda_china

If there was a chill in relations between the Conservative government and Beijing before, you'd never know it by the blast of warmth that filled the room as Prime Minister Stephen Harper met Tuesday with the Chinese foreign minister.

The two men posed for cameras and earnestly talked about the importance of expanding links between the two countries.

Looks like the hostility of the Tories towards the Chinese is over.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090623/national/cda_china

Looks like the hostility of the Tories towards the Chinese is over.

You know why? It was said on the news that the only way Canada is going to get out the economics mess is with the help of China OR the US. Since no one knows when the US will, Harper HAS to buddy up to China. At the same time, China is buying up our oil and other natural resources. I, too, found the story but this one has a picture. http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/canada/art...ent-for-cameras

About India-China relationship, I'd like to present some links I think people here can not learn from TheStar or CNN.

In 2007, China was India's second largest trade partner and India replaced Canada as China's 10th largest trade partner.

India replaces Canada as China's 10th largest trading partner

China, India vow to expand trade, economic co-op

Bilateral trade volume reached 38.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2007, about 33 times the 1995 figure, with an annual growth of 34 percent. China has become India's second largest trade partner. India is the 10th largest trade partner of China, Hui said.

In 2008, China replaced America as India's largest trade partner and India has become China's 9th largest trade partner.

China emerges India's largest trading partner in 2008

In 2008, China emerged as India's largest trading partner, surpassing the US, according to Mr Mao Siwei, China's Consul-General in Kolkata. Quoting statistics from China's Customs, Mr Mao said the size of bilateral trade reached a historical level of $51.8 billion in 2008 compared with $38.6 billion in 2007.

In the future...

India-China all set to become top trading partners

The mutual trade between two countries is expected to touch $100-bn mark by 2013-14. The bilateral trade between the two countries would reach at 50 billion dollar mark in the fiscal ending March 2009.

The Commerce secretary, GK Pillai said that India and china are leading members of WTO and mutual co-operation is need of the hour to achieve the desired trade target. He also discussed the various trade issues with meeting with Chinese vice minister for trade Gao Hucheng in a recent meeting between them.

:P:lol:

And there is a link about Canada-India trade:

India: A huge trade opportunity for Canada

The Canada-India commercial relations are growing and diversifying. In 2007, two-way merchandise trade increased four percent to an all-time high of $3.74 billion and two-way direct investment reached $652 million, says Canadian Department of international Trade.

The trade between India-Canada is only about 10% of the trade between India-China in 2007.

Edited by xul

The trade between India-Canada is only about 10% of the trade between India-China in 2007.

I'd say we're doing pretty good. If a country of 30 million across 2 oceans can trade with India 10% as much as a country of 1.2 Billion directly next door, that's not that bad.

I'd say we're doing pretty good. If a country of 30 million across 2 oceans can trade with India 10% as much as a country of 1.2 Billion directly next door, that's not that bad.

I didn't say Canada is not doing good on trade with India. I just want to point out that someone's imagination (and the media's "picked" news creat it) that India is China's deadly enemy and can be used as pawn against China is a wrong thought based on illusion and phantasy, just as imaging America and China will go into war some day, hot or cold, and other countries will benefit from it is also unrealistic.

Exactly the trade between Canada-China and the trade between Canada-India are two irrelative matters. Canada can do both well at the same time. There is no need to say "without China we will go India" under each topic on Canada-China relationship.

Edited by xul

What we need in Canada is hundreds of million more Chinese and Indian immigrants to catch up.

I know telling soothing lies always exceeds telling painful truth---this is real "universal human value" suited for any country, any culture and any race.... :lol:

I know telling soothing lies always exceeds telling painful truth---this is real "universal human value" suited for any country, any culture and any race.... :lol:

I don't know that you took my meaning. I was saying that Canada is a small country in terms of population and could stand to have even greater numbers of people. One of the reasons that Brazil, India and China are breezing past us is that Canada doesn't have the population base.

As one expert said: If China or India have 100 million middle income people each, it far exceeds what Canada will have since we only have under 40 million people.

I don't know that you took my meaning. I was saying that Canada is a small country in terms of population and could stand to have even greater numbers of people. One of the reasons that Brazil, India and China are breezing past us is that Canada doesn't have the population base.

As one expert said: If China or India have 100 million middle income people each, it far exceeds what Canada will have since we only have under 40 million people.

volume doesn't replace quality when it comes to standard of living.

volume doesn't replace quality when it comes to standard of living.

I agree. However, I still think we have the land, resources, the culture and the resourcefulness to sustain a larger population.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

My comparison of the trade of Canada-India and China-India was not a show-off of how good China has done than Canada. It just suggested that Canada may have less influence on India than some members here think.

The entire planet would benefit from "fair trade" and switching to a resource based economy.

It's not all due to the trade....I remember some number here ever said, "the standard of living of my dog is better than most third world people." His statement was accurate. :P I guess he just never asked himself whether or not his ability was in proportion to his standard of living. If it was not, it would just be a matte of time all his advantage would have gone.

A nation living on its natural resource is not good just as a dude living on his forefather's fortune. The only way of keeping higher living standard is to have the higher ability of doing something which others can not do.

Edited by xul

I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

My comparison of the trade of Canada-India and China-India was not a show-off of how good China has done than Canada. It just suggested that Canada may have less influence on India than some members here think.

I think we have little influence except with resources which everyone wants. In terms of other products, we have a lot of competitors including those in the countries we trade with.

Canada needs a bigger and younger base of population for its own internal markets and then we need to find areas of excellence where we can excel.

In the meantime, we need to work on trading world-wide. We are far too dependent on North American trade.

then we need to find areas of excellence where we can excel.

I think since the population can not increase in short time, Canada needs to find a way to concentrate its resource(include capital, high-calibered employee,etc) on a certain area to be excellent.

Edited by xul