Stunning Cassini Photos

HORIZONS is used for moon positions so their positions are fairly accurate. When further accuracy was needed, modules were written using whatever better data was present. Janus and Epimetheus were two in particular the gang had trouble with, though.

HORIZONS is used for moon positions so their positions are fairly accurate. When further accuracy was needed, modules were written using whatever better data was present. Janus and Epimetheus were two in particular the gang had trouble with, though.

The Equinox mission extension requires some interesting orbital mechanics to achieve these objectives:

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=43181

They have pressed the backup "B" hydrazine thrusters into service after sitting idle for 11 years!

Indeed many of those encounters could be reproduced. The longer the simulator ran (or if you used high levels of time compression) you would get less accuracy. Fresh HORIZON data for smaller moons would also be good idea for the best results. The original idea for Orbiter was for pure enjoyment. But since then there has been a push for higher levels of accuracy in hopes of it being a staple amoung space agencies for mission demos. There are still no plans by the original creator to sell it. He's plenty busy already (computed tomography).

Here's an older pdf describing Orbiter's mechanics more.

http://download.orbit.m6.net/news/orbiter.pdf

Thanks...I will check it out. A friend of mine who was in the Reserves use to kill time at CENTCOM by figuring out L-points (three body system). I haven't re-visited these kind of sims since PC power has improved significantly from the days of a separate math coprocessor! :lol:

Thanks...I will check it out. A friend of mine who was in the Reserves use to kill time at CENTCOM by figuring out L-points (three body system). I haven't re-visited these kind of sims since PC power has improved significantly from the days of a separate math coprocessor! :lol:

Sounds like about 85% of the posters over at Orbiter Forum.

:lol:

Here's a film a buddy made on Apollo in Orbiter.