Ignatieff/Liberals caves, Harper wins

Barts

After much finger wagging and bitch, bitch, bitching and name calling, Ignatieff and the Liberals have caved, and are now in a de facto Conservative/Liberal coalition. The notion of "report cards" is just silly. If Ignatieff had any courage, he'd propose amendments at least that resolved his criticisms of the budget. He lacks even the courage to do that.

Ignatieff showed he and his Liberals are all noise, not strength, not conviction.

Ignatieff is taking his bitch slapping like a true wimp.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ignatieff had any courage, he'd propose amendments at least that resolved his criticisms of the budget.

i don't think you understand his strategy. If the budget fails to deliver what its promising, its not his problem. The Conservatives will wear everything. The report cards will allow Ignatieff to see it happening and...go from there.

So you think that Canadians would rather have another election or a Liberal/NDP/Bloc government than Harper on a short leash?

I think those Canadians that have or about to lose their jobs would welcome a coalition govt because it would mean they would have a better chance of keeping their homes and getting that EI that they have paid into for years rather than it going to the national debt, which wouldn't help in the short term. I rather see what the coalition could do because Harper hasn't done much for the 3 budgets he has had to help the average Canadian and it would save the 300Mil that it takes to have an election.

The notion of "report cards" is just silly. If Ignatieff had any courage, he'd propose amendments at least that resolved his criticisms of the budget. He lacks even the courage to do that.

If Harper rejects the amendments, Layton says the coalition is back on. Will you be against the coalition then?

i don't think you understand his strategy. If the budget fails to deliver what its promising, its not his problem. The Conservatives will wear everything. The report cards will allow Ignatieff to see it happening and...go from there.

I can see it now. In six months time (or whenever) the finger pointing will begin. The Cons on this site will blame it on the Liberals because Flaherty (under threat of non-confidence) tabled a the Budget to suit the Liberals. Since Ignatieff had already stated a few days ago, "it's not my budget", so the Liberals on this site will simply hit back stating Flaherty's budget could have been anything he wanted except that he chose to table that specific one.

Edited by daniel

If Harper rejects the amendments, Layton says the coalition is back on. Will you be against the coalition then?

Harper will accept a "report card" amendment, because lets the Liberals save face and lets him do what he wants and keep his job. However, if for some perverse reason he doesn't, I would not be against a Liberal/NDP coalition.

I can see it now. In six months time (or whenever) the finger pointing will begin. The Cons on this site will blame it on the Liberals because Flaherty (under threat of non-confidence) tabled a the Budget to suit the Liberals. Since Ignatieff had already stated a few days ago, "it's not my budget", so the Liberals on this site will simply hit back stating Flaherty's budget could have been anything he wanted except that he chose to table that specific one.

I doubt even the most hyper-partisan Liberal supporters would argue that. The coalition was founded on the idea that the Conservatives needed to spend more money.

Edited by Martin Chriton

Have you calculated your tax break? If you're an average working Canadian, it'll be less than $100. Can an average Canadian even notice saving $0.27 per day?

I think not...

A one-earner, family of four making $60,000 would save $275.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

I'm pretty sure if past refund cheques are a clue that when I get my refund (which was over $1500 last year) that it comes in a lump sum, not a daily stipend.

Have you calculated your tax break? If you're an average working Canadian, it'll be less than $100. Can an average Canadian even notice saving $0.27 per day?

I'm actually more curious about the homo reno credit. We're planning on building an addition this spring which will easily consume $10,000, and I wouldn't complain at a kick-back on it via a tax credit. Of course, I'm hoping that it doesn't have some ludicrous strings attached like "qualified tradesman" because I'm building it myself.

Who needs an NDP/Liberal coalition when we have a Tory govt running scared? This budget could have been written by Layton and Dion. Andrew Coyne had it right yesterday, nothing remains remotely discernible as conservative with Harper's govt.

This new dynamic is a Liberal dream come true - a newly meek and chastened Harper forced to absorb all the negative side effects of our economic malaise while his new rival gathers strength with the passage of time.

Who needs an NDP/Liberal coalition when we have a Tory govt running scared? This budget could have been written by Layton and Dion. Andrew Coyne had it right yesterday, nothing remains remotely discernible as conservative with Harper's govt.

This new dynamic is a Liberal dream come true - a newly meek and chastened Harper forced to absorb all the negative side effects of our economic malaise while his new rival gathers strength with the passage of time.

That's the fortunes of war, I'm afraid. The one thing that an academic like Ignatieff will understand that a street-fighter like Harper won't is the maxim "better to lose the battle and win the war". Ignatieff, much more than his predecessor or his counterparts in the other parties in Parliament, seems a man capable of patience and restraint, letting his opponent fall on his own sword.

I don't know if I could ever bring myself to vote Liberal, but if anyone will sell me on it, it seems Ignatieff is the man.

Liberal dream! Do you think that Harper and the Conservatives are not going to use the Liberal's appeasement to build, build, build for the next election? Harper will not remain meek and chastened, if he ever was. By Ignatieff caving to Harper, the Conservatives are not running scared. They're laughing all the way to the ballot box with dreams of majorities dancing in their heads.

I'm actually more curious about the homo reno credit. We're planning on building an addition this spring which will easily consume $10,000, and I wouldn't complain at a kick-back on it via a tax credit. Of course, I'm hoping that it doesn't have some ludicrous strings attached like "qualified tradesman" because I'm building it myself.

Yes I think so...

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/canadians-react/#clip134146

Liberal dream! Do you think that Harper and the Conservatives are not going to use the Liberal's appeasement to build, build, build for the next election? Harper will not remain meek and chastened, if he ever was. By Ignatieff caving to Harper, the Conservatives are not running scared. They're laughing all the way to the ballot box with dreams of majorities dancing in their heads.

Ignatieff didn't "cave", he's going to push what the Conservatives will soon find to be onerous conditions.

I really do pity you Tory supporters, that you have to say these idiotic and clearly false things simply to feel better.

I suggest, rather than cheerleadering Harper, you better consider a replacement for him. He's a reckless fool of a man.